Stuck In Uverse Hell- Thinking of Going Back to Dish, Need Feedback

KWarner

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
St. Louis
Hi,

I have been a Dish customer for over 15 years. Account is currently on hold while I tried out Uverse. My HD quality sucks on Uverse, their customer service is the worst I've ever experienced and the DVR is terrible. The whole house DVR system is hated by wife/kids. I'm not very fond of it either. However, I LOVE MLB Network and On Demand, YES Network is great too. I read on here a while back that there is some talk of HBO on Demand coming to Dish. Any update on that? Does anyone think that Dish will EVER add MLB? I know YES will never happen. How are the current On Demand selections on Dish? they were adding a lot when I switched. My internet is fast enough to stream HD (the one good thing I will keep with Uverse) so I'm very interested in on demand stuff.

Finally, I have a 722 with EHD. What is everyone's opinion on the 922. Should I go for it for $200 or am I just as well off with $99 sling promo. I truly would appreciate some informed opinions. I would love some "insider" thoughts from the Dish guys who hang out here as well as loyal forum members. I really wanted to like Uverse, but it just isn't very good. I am very interested in thoughts/opinions on MLB and HBO on Demand eventual availability. No need to say "soon". I get the joke. Sorry for length, but I really need some help here before my wife/kids throw the Uverse DVR through the window!

HBO on Demand has been announced at the DISH Network retailer even last month as coming to DISH this summer.

I would get a 722 (or 722k) instead of a 922. You will be much happier.

I don't think going back to DISH is your solution. Sports is too much of your questioning and DISH is just not sports. Directv may be a better choice but their operating system is not DISH's but you would probably adapt to it.

I don't think going back to DISH is your solution. Sports is too much of your questioning and DISH is just not sports. Directv may be a better choice but their operating system is not DISH's but you would probably adapt to it.

I agree. Directv has MLB and HBO On Demand already and they also have MRV. Everything you like in Uverse is already on Directv but without the problems you're having.

Or he could get the Dish Network 922(922 has the slingbox built in) for their programming.Then for MLB he could subscribe to MLB with his internet connection?.;)

Or he could get the Dish Network 922(922 has the slingbox built in) for their programming.Then for MLB he could subscribe to MLB with his internet connection?.;)

This made me do some looking. The MLB online is $99/year which looks to be less than 1/2 of what D* charges. That seems a bit odd...

In his post he says MLB Network, he doesn't need to subscribe to anything if he just wants that channel with D*.

MLB.TV is not the same as MLB Network.

MLB.TV is similar to Extra Innings

You cannot stream MLB Network

One is a channel similar to ESPN and the other is a package similar to Sunday Ticket.

MLB Network is like the NFL Network, NBA Network, and NHL Network. It is a sports news station for baseball only that also happens to show at least one game per day during the week. It is more comparable to ESPN. MLB.TV and Extra Innings are simply an out of market package that only shows out of market games (every out of market game), similar to Sunday Ticket, League Pass, and Center Ice.

IOW, saying MLB Network is similar to MLB.TV is like saying the NFL Network is similar to Sunday Ticket

Wow, thanks for all the good replies. MLB Network and MLB TV are much different. I already know about MLB TV. Network has all kinds of good stuff that MLB TV doesn't have. Direct Tv is a possible option. However, I hate Direct Tv. I have always been very loyal to Dish, which I know is silly-why did I go to Uverse then?! Also, from what Iv'e seen HD PQ is not as good and I don't like their DVR near as much. Dish has always given me good deals because of my long time customer status if/when I call the loyalty dept. Thanks for all responses. Any feedback on current on demand offerings on Dish?

Scott, what is your opinion of 722 over the 922 based on? Another huge Uverse drawback I forgot to mention was no slingbox, no EHD and small hard drive which contains ALL of my stuff and wife/kids stuff. Uverse is cool in theory, but isn't quite where Dish is in quality of serivce and tech stuff.

Here are the regular programs on MLB Network:
MLB Network: Show Lineup

There is probably only a 1% similarity between the two and that happens to be if they both show the same game. MLB.TV is missing 99% of the content on MLB Network and MLB Network does not show about 90% of the games shown on MLB.TV

Wow, thanks for all the good replies. MLB Network and MLB TV are much different. I already know about MLB TV. Network has all kinds of good stuff that MLB TV doesn't have. Direct Tv is a possible option. However, I hate Direct Tv. I have always been very loyal to Dish, which I know is silly-why did I go to Uverse then?! Also, from what Iv'e seen HD PQ is not as good and I don't like their DVR near as much. Dish has always given me good deals because of my long time customer status if/when I call the loyalty dept. Thanks for all responses. Any feedback on current on demand offerings on Dish?

Scott, what is your opinion of 722 over the 922 based on? Another huge Uverse drawback I forgot to mention was no slingbox, no EHD and small hard drive which contains ALL of my stuff and wife/kids stuff. Uverse is cool in theory, but isn't quite where Dish is in quality of serivce and tech stuff.
Why do you hate them? Have you ever had them?

I prefer DirecTV because what they offer is more to my interest. But I do not hate Dish. Dish is a very good provider.

The 922 while having fancy graphics and built in Slingbox still feels and acts unfinished. The 722's are stable and work well. In addition with the new Sling Adapters for the 722 it adds full Sling functionality and works better then the Sling on the 922.

Overall a much better experience then the 922.

Sorry if I offended with my Direct Tv comments. Your point is well taken, I have never tried them. I was looking at your avatar. Do you know about Neil Peart on Letterman tonight?

Strangely I'm in the same situation as the OP. I got Uverse about a month ago mainly for the internet but gave the IPTV a try. Other than the horrible HD quality I don't mind the system.

I had previously had a roommate with Dish service and planned on getting it for myself but the 2 year price difference was over $400 more than a similar package with Directv. After that D* is still a few bucks cheaper in my situation.

I did feel a little strange ordering D* after only ever having Dish as a sat provider and gave both providers a good look for a couple weeks before finally deciding.

As long as you know the sports limitations Dish is great. As long as you know the amount of HD channels limitations, Direct is great. I would get a 722K (or as needed 612 or 211K with EHD) before a 922. Just my opinion. Having the skilled Dirt Team here, helps alot if you have Dish.

I used to say the same thing, "I hate Directv" but after 13-14 yrs. (I'm not sure how long, :) ) with Dish Network I made the switch. I like what I have with D* and you need to look for the provider that will give you the programming and features that you want.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The 922 while having fancy graphics and built in Slingbox still feels and acts unfinished. The 722's are stable and work well. In addition with the new Sling Adapters for the 722 it adds full Sling functionality and works better then the Sling on the 922.

Overall a much better experience then the 922.

My 722K messed up far more recordings than my 922 has, with its tendency to only record a partial show.

I left Dish a month ago, mainly, because of the loss of local RSN's (SNY, MSG and never had YES). I went to uverse a month ago and I'm very happy with the product so far. The DVR portion doesn't work like Dish's but it serves the purpose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)