Student Athelets and Class

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
This question is not ment to be sarcastic or demeaning, but how many student athletes actually attend class? Being from Terre Haute I always thing think of a story a good friend of mine told me. He told me when he was attending Indiana State he had a class with Larry Bird. He told me that Larry was there the first and last day of class, nothing in between and passed with flying colors. It's a known fact that Larry was no genius and I have always wondered did he have outside tutoring or did he just slide through because of his basketball talent. ;) Oh yea, my friend got a degree in journalism.

I know Bobby's stance and even though I can't stand IU I do agree with him. That's one of the reasons LB couldn't cut it in Bloomington. He was working on a garbage truck here in Terre Haute when Bob King found him and made him a star.

Diamond Jim said:
This question is not ment to be sarcastic or demeaning, but how many student athletes actually attend class? Being from Terre Haute I always thing think of a story a good friend of mine told me. He told me when he was attending Indiana State he had a class with Larry Bird. He told me that Larry was there the first and last day of class, nothing in between and passed with flying colors. It's a known fact that Larry was no genius and I have always wondered did he have outside tutoring or did he just slide through because of his basketball talent. ;) Oh yea, my friend got a degree in journalism.

I heard the same with "Prime Time" when I was star FSU.

At Georgia Tech, I had a class with Kenny Anderson. He was actually there most of the time.
A friend of mine took Geology 1001 (affectionately known as Rocks for Jocks), he said several football players were in it. So at Georgia Tech they seemed pretty good at making it to class.

Back in the 80's though, the University of Georgia got into big trouble when it was revealed by a proffesor (Jan Kemp) that players were not attending classes and profs were being leaned on to pass them. She complained and was fired. She then sued the school and won. The Governor had the Board of Regents fire the University President and Vince Dooley came very close to being fired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts