Study: 9M Americans will use IPTV by 2011

tsrk30

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
The following story can be found here:

Study: 9M Americans will use IPTV by 2011 - East Bay Business Times:

This is one of the reasons I am so interested in the Sky Angel IPTV. Could it be possible that Sky Angel is leading the way into the future of TV?

Here is the story:

Internet protocol television or IPTV is expected to redefine pay TV in the United States by morphing the service from a one-size-fits-all traditional broadcast TV to an open, flexible offering, according to a new study by Yankee Group Research Inc.

By 2011, more than 9 million households in the United States will subscribe to telco-provided video service, according to Boston-based Yankee Group Research.

"IPTV will forever alter the video ecosystem by creating not only a new breed of service, but also a new breed of service provider," Vince Vittore, a Yankee Group program manager, said in a statement. "The phone company of the past - the 800-pound gorilla - is dead. IPTV will transform telcos from the market dominating gorillas they once were, to street fighting guerrillas."

Unlike traditional cable, which is a one-way dump of programming, viewers using IPTV retrieve programming much as people call up Internet sites.

AT&T Inc.'s U-verse IPTV television offering became available in the East Bay in December 2006, initially in San Ramon and Danville. The San Antonio telecommunications giant has its California and Nevada headquarters in San Ramon.

In March 2007 the company also announced a U-verse OnTheGo offering with Emeryville's MobiTV Inc.; the service gives U-verse customers access to live television on a personal computer using any broadband Internet connection. MobiTV provides the programming and technology to make television and radio available on cell phones and via the Internet.

Another East Bay company, Alameda's UTStarcom Inc., markets and installs IPTV networks with major customers in China, Japan and India.

So Scott what stocks should we be buying now before everyone catches on? :)

It's amazing what you can do with IPTV now that fiber-to-the-home and fiber-to-the-neighborhood are becoming more prevalent. I have FTTH (through my company & local FTTH provider), and am easily able to have 6 TVs connected and watching TV programming, while surfing the internet and using various interactive medias on at least as many computers, serving up a small website, and talking on 2 telephone lines from my home, and not a single glitch.

As more consumer demand high speed interactive internet connections, the delivery medium will already support the concept of IPTV with it. I imagine that there will be more interactive content provided in todays broadcasting when this becomes even more mainstream. Just imagine when your IPTV settop boxes operate as a computer on your local network - allow you to surf on over to a commercial's website, order supplies, print coupons, etc while waiting for your show to continue.. So many possibilities that it's fun tot think about, and also overwhelming!

I am sure that IPTv is the wave of the future, just not sure if sky angel will be a part of it. MY local installer feels that sky angel is either going to fold fairly quickly or else be bought out by dish or another company. Will see if he is right...................

There are going to be a lot of fish in the sea of IPTV. Since Sky Angel couldn't make it as one of only three fish in the DBS sea, I don't see how they will make it in IPTV. Best of luck to them,

Study: 9M Americans will use IPTV by 2011 - East Bay Business Times:

This is one of the reasons I am so interested in the Sky Angel IPTV. Could it be possible that Sky Angel is leading the way into the future of TV?

Here is the flaw in that thinking. First, it has been reported that the Dominion IPTV box will ONLY have access to "approved content." I've even read posts right here from those who stated they would not be interested in subscribing if certain secular movie channels were even available through the box, never mind that even were they available they would be fee based so why should they even care about that availability?

But the thing is here that regardless of the popularity of IPTV in general to get the faith channels you must acquire the approved Dominion branded box AND pay $15 a month for the ministry channels. So while IPTV may or may not become a success as it is currently structured that does NOT mean that Dominion IPTV will. For that matter, we don't actually KNOW that if Dominion IPTV fails the $150 - $200 box itself won't be any more than another paperweight.

As I've said before, and I think it bares repeating here in light of the topic, I think this current structure is the wrong direction to go. From a faith standpoint, the service should be family friendly secular programming with the faith channels included free. And really, for that matter I would argue that at least the outreach channels should have been free on DBS, not just Angel One.

That said, here in literally the last few days of SA, I have been giving the IPTV option a second look. I had removed the 61.5 connection but recently reconnected it just to see if I felt different about losing the programming after a cooling off period. But it still looks like GloryStar is my better option.
At least the AllWorship radio channel is available for internet streaming, which may be the only content I would miss that's apparently not available there. I just will miss having the programming via my Tivo, which still is the case with IPTV anyway.

I really don't want to have numerous boxes for my content. I want to have as few as possible. As a lesser concern every type of box/ appliance you accumulate is gonna raise your electric bill, no matter how slightly. And in this specific case you will be cutting into your broadband connection so the more you have of this or anyone else's box the more quality of service will suffer. And that will continue to be the case until higher bandwidth become the norm instead of the general exception.

But I think everyone is looking for more simplicity, not more service specific hardware to have to manage.

How can people go with IPTV through skyangel when it cost $25 each TV you want to use, I for one will not be switching, i am very dissapointed I have all this Equipment DVR Receiver and another standard receiver plus dish that is no good unless i subscribe with Dn. I am looking into FTA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts