Stupid 811 Question -- DVI to Component Cable?

Guy Owen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2004
My Mitsubishi 55" has DTV hookups, plus separate Component hookups. The DTV area uses YPbPr connections, as does the Component. No DVI.

The 811 has DVI out. The installers hooked up YPbPr from the 811 to the DTV section. There is no DVI cable in the box, apparently.

Is there such a thing as a DVI to YPbPr cable?
If there was, would it improve anything?
Would it restrict anything?

Otherwise, what's the purpose of the DTV area on the Mitsu -- vs simply using the Component section? -- other than simply having another set of YPbPr connectors?

One set is clearly labelled "DTV" vs "Component".

Guy

Guy Owen said:
My Mitsubishi 55" has DTV hookups, plus separate Component hookups. The DTV area uses YPbPr connections, as does the Component. No DVI.

Is there such a thing as a DVI to YPbPr cable?
If there was, would it improve anything?
Would it restrict anything?

Otherwise, what's the purpose of the DTV area on the Mitsu -- vs simply using the Component section? -- other than simply having another set of YPbPr connectors?

One set is clearly labelled "DTV" vs "Component".

Guy

I haven't seen, yet, a converter from/to DVI. One is analog and the other is digital so would require a lot of electronics.
My Sammy 46in DLP has a DVI input but I can't really tell much if any difference between that and component.
Don't know what your TV is trying to say, but it should tell in the manual what the differences are from component to DTV.
On my TV there is one set of components dedicated for a DVD input. Perhaps that is what your DTV input is. If you don't have the manual you can probably download one from their site.

It appears that ATI does sell what you want!
It's at the URL below (just copy and paste).
The description is below the URL
Let us know if this does what you are looking for.

Good luck

http://buy.ati.com/shopati/product....ption=Accessories&find_part_desc=&country=USA

AiW R8500, R9500, R9600, R9700, R9800 DVI HDTV Adapter
Description: AiW R8500, R9500, R9600, R9700, R9800 DVI HDTV Adapter
Product: HDTV DVI-I US
Unit: EA
Price: $29.00

The adapter appears to be specific to some ATI computer graphics cards, and requires specific software to convert from DVI to Component - not the other way. Remember, DVI is digital, component is analog. Such converters seem to run about $3-400, and I haven't found one to do what you want.

Craig

Craig Henrikson said:
The adapter appears to be specific to some ATI computer graphics cards, and requires specific software to convert from DVI to Component - not the other way. Remember, DVI is digital, component is analog. Such converters seem to run about $3-400, and I haven't found one to do what you want.

Craig

Craig is absolutely right the adapter will only work on ATI 8500dv and up.

Bob

Actually the adapter mentioned above is not specific to ATI video cards.

DVI is a general term for Digital Video Interface. The plug has three different configurations.

1. DVI-D is DVI digital. This is the connector on the 811 and Sammy DLPs. If is a digital only conduit and would require the expensive digital/analog DVI>Component converter.

2. DVI-A is DVI Analog. This connector is not very common at all. I don't know what it is used on.

3. DVI-I is DVI Analog AND Digital. This is the connector on the DVR921 and most computer video cards. The ATI DVI to VGA adapter will work on this, as would any other DVI to analog connector.

The DVI to component connector is not a converter but a plug adapter, as it only breaks out the analog signal from the DVI-I connector. (Having the resolutions match between source and monitor is probably the limitation mentioned in the ATI applications.)

As far as the Mitsu TV with component and DTV connectors, it is my understanding that the component inputs are for ONLY 480i and 480p signals. The DTV input is selectable (via user menu) for either component or RGB-HV.

For your situation, I'd use the component cables which came with the 811 and connect them to the DTV inputs, making sure the TV is set for YPbPr.

DVI Rocks from ATI.

I happen to have an ATI 9500 Pro along with the componet adapter for my Sony HD 32". Although it is great for playing HD games like "Dragons Lair" and a few others, it really has nothing to do with Dish Network.

Most people think that it would be cool to play DVD's through the computer due to the automatic upscaling of 720p or 1080i but of course our friends in Hollywood do not wish us to view anything higher than 800x600. The one noticeable exception is Terminator 2 in HD, but then again you need an internet connection for MS to verify your liscense. Go fig.....

One other problem here guys.

The DVI output is DVI-D only on the 811, so even if the ATI adapter "works", there is no analog component to send along.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)