Stupid Installer (or, how to use the included UHF remote for your 622 in single mode)

Sharper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I'm posting this guide because my 921 to 622 upgrade installer, who supposedly had a 622 at home of his own, told me it was impossible to do, even though we both agreed that it made no sense that you wouldn't be able to do it.

Steps to use the UHF Pro "blue 2" remote as your TV1 remote in single mode (usually one tv):

1. It seems obvious, but make sure that the UHF remote antenna is connected to the right connector on the back of your 622. My installer left me with it connected to the OTA antenna input. Obviously, that wouldn't have worked very well.

2. Put batteries in the remote control. Again, pretty obvious, but my installer stole one set of my batteries (along with all the extra cables and such that came in the 622 box).

3. Double check that the receiver is in single mode (see pages 13-14 in the 622 User's Guide).

4. Enable shared view, page 86 of the User's Guide. I know, you only have 1 tv connected so it shouldn't matter, but this is what actually makes the 622 allow the second remote to control tv1. By default I believe it's on, but my installer helpfully turned it off for me before he left.

5. If the remote isn't already working using UHF at this point, compare the remote control address (page 73) with the address listed on the system info screen. Follow the directions to set the remote to a new address (page 72). Pressing the record button at the end is what sends the remote's settings to the receiver while it's on the system info screen. Double check that your other receivers aren't on the same address, yet another thing my installer didn't do, leaving me with my other receiver and my new 622 set to the same remote addresses, causing my wife to ask me what was going on with the TV in the bedroom when I was screwing with the remotes down in the theater.

If you've followed these steps, you should now have both remotes able to control the receiver at the same time, one of them IR only, the other UHF.

See installer rants can be informative instead of just angry. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts