Stupid Person asking Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tanman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
So here's my setup.I've had a 622 for years.It pretty much suits us(me and the wife) pretty well.A Panasonic plasma in the living room is our main watching tv.The composite TV 2 output is wired to a transmitter that sends the signal to a receiver that is connected via composite to the bedroom tv.Yes it's in SD but mainly used for 1100 pm news.Plus it's a TCL with built in Roku.
We have Spectrum for internet .Two timers is plenty since we can always watch shows on the Roku.Currently have Top 200.Paying grandfathered $7 DVR fee-would be willing to go up to $10.Would not mind buying equipment outright.
One of my possible problems is Dish retention keeps giving me 20 bucks off a month but only for a year at a time.If I sign a two year contract I would have no bargaining leverage at the end of one year.
Why do I want to get rid of the 622?It's had a bad spot on the hard drive for a long time-I really don't want to deal with putting in a new one myself.Also the 622 will go into a continuous reboot sequence for 30 minutes or more. Very intermittent-like every 10 days or so.I have no idea if that's a 622 issue or LNB or whatever.I really shoud record it next time on the cell phone.
I assume at this point Dish still might have 722s or 722ks left(or not).Do they have TV2 composite output?
What are the options on the newer models?We don't need 16 tuners.
(edit to add this).I saw at MIL's (Comcast for tv/internet) that Comcast has a Roku app that allows you to watch any channel that you are paying for to watch linear on a second tv.Basically you don't need to pay for a second box-at least not yet.Does Dish have anything similar?

Be glad to answer any questions.Thanks-Tyler

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, the 722k has the composite output. I think the only way to fake two tv's with a single Hopper is via component cables, but it is still only one live tuner where as the 722 has the separate HD and SD tuners.

Aren't they really two HD tuners? You can use either or both to record HD. Its just that the 722 has one HD output for TV1 and one SD output for TV2.
Yes, I was speaking a bit loosely. Two outputs, one HD and one independent SD output. But two HD tuners that can record HD.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I’m with you. I have a 612 and a 722. 722 will record 2 programs off Sat and 2 off OTA. That’s all I need. Last time I had to have the 612 replaced, they did not want the old one back. I now have a 722 that appears to work great that I was given. For some reason Dish did not want it back when someone canceled sub with Dish.

Reactions: tanman
I’m with you. I have a 612 and a 722. 722 will record 2 programs off Sat and 2 off OTA. That’s all I need. Last time I had to have the 612 replaced, they did not want the old one back. I now have a 722 that appears to work great that I was given. For some reason Dish did not want it back when someone canceled sub with Dish.
As an FYI, there is a 722 and a 722K... the 722K does not have the OTA tuners automatically and I doubt Dish still has any to sell, but there at least was a module you could slide in to the 722K to get that 2 OTA tuner goodness.

And yes, the 722/722K are awesome. The UI is very dated, but otherwise, they do the cheapskates like me (and others) very well.

How much work/money are you willing to put in? If you can get a second coax run from the LNB to the bedroom then I would just buy a pair of vip211's or even Wally's if you don't mind getting something newer (Wally is dual tuner and has on demand functions). Both of these options are $5 per month per receiver if purchased (first fee waived, so a total of $5 per month for 2 units), both can be EHD enabled if you need DVR functions for a one time fee of $40, with no monthly after that, and you would get HD in the bedroom. Only disadvantages would be having to actually run the aforementioned coax line, purchase the receivers/EHD's if needed, and you would not have a "seamless?" "cohesive?" experience, since each receiver would be independent when it comes to DVR libraries among other things. The receivers will run you around $80-$100 each (dishformyrv has the Wally discounted for $60 with free shiping, and yes these will work despite being sold with the intention of going into an RV), plus whatever EHD capacity you go for (Walmart should have 1TB units around $50 a pop). This would also avoid the 2-year contract they give you when upgrading, and saves $2 per month.

Other options: If you contact Dish and they determine that the unit is faulty, then you should be able to get a 722/722k (after having them try to push a Hopper setup a few dozen times). Also, if you are near the end of your current one year agreement, next time you contact retention you could mention you are also interested in an upgrade, they may be able to cut you a better deal in exchange for paying more per month for equipment, and place you on a 2-year contract for both the upgrade and discount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)