subscription question about HD

Here is the cable I use on all my satellite stuff, (specs here)

( I c&p'd two images together so that the text could be read as it wraps around the wire)

I've been using it for almost 2 years I think because it has ethernet wires attached to it so it makes a great combination for C-band dishes.
I can also use it for security camera wires, my neighborhood is overrun with oodles of heathen tweenager boys so now I have keep watch on my house and vehicles, I had to put up a bunch of cameras.
This stuff is great for that too. It can carry video, power and camera controls.

I haven't used any yet for the OTA TV however. I need to buy more, I don't think I have enough left to make an unbroken run from the attic to the inside.
I want to get rid of all those old black wires that are there now.

Also, I thought I had a 5 way splitter inside but it's actually a 4 way. I put one of those little terminator caps on it.

(sorry, camera strap got in the way.. :eek:)

I don't know what that "DC power pass" means. :confused: All I know is when I shopped for it I shopped for things that are rated for HDTV which I ~think~ this thing is though it's not marked as such.
I guess those old black wires probably aren't HDTV rated. I know for 100% certain that the blue wires I have are.
All the black wires are going to the trash soon..

Last edited:
I see I reason why that cable would not be fine for VHF/UHF. Power passing means that the splitter is rated for power to go through to a switch or amplifier if you needed that.

Oh wait, I think I get it now. I just found out a close friend may be near dying so I was a little shook up when I read that.

I think you meant that you can see why the black wire is no good and as a separate issue, you were explaining the DC thing.

When I read it my mind just mushed it all together into a single blur and I was like HUH?

I had to think about it awhile before I figured out what you were saying.

Power Passing is used to allow very low frequency (think DC) signal can be sent to an amplifier along with a satellite signal (think 2000+ MHz) on one cable. The OTA VHF/UHF signals (50 to 700 MHz) are usually on other ports. For plain spitters all ports may be like OTA with the Power Pass to power preamps. A normal splitter would not pass power--it's like a little transformer. A guess.
-Ken

I'm still keeping my FTA stuff though, my favorite channel of all, MeTV isn't on Dish Network. I watch that channel a LOT.
So I'll be jumping back and forth between the two systems. With the DVR I can really have the best of both worlds.

:D

Thanks again! :)

FYI, I just found MeTV on channel 42. Its not on the whole day, just in the evening I believe. Outside of the classic shows, the channel runs some craptacluar infomercials.

Last edited by a moderator:
WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!!!

So my pre-amp came in yesterday. I went up on the roof this morning and hooked it up. As I was putting things in place I got to the wire that runs to the house.
The crimped on connector fell off. And the wire was all rusted up. It looked NASTY... I knew there was no way in the world that was gonna work so I climbed back down and got my tools.
I cut about 4 inches off the wire and put a brand new compression connection on it.
When I got in the house I put all new connections inside too, just for good measure.

I intend to run a new wire from the roof but I don't have enough so I need to buy another spool of the stuff.
But for now this will have to do.

(My lens isn't a telephoto so this was as good as I could get without changing it out to the big guy or climbing back up there.)

After it was all done I checked and found I had boosted my signal by 10% on average across the board. OTA channels that have been quirky are now stable with one exception, one channel was giving me trouble but I'm going to blame the wind on that, we've been having several days of very strong winds with even strong gusts. I can hear it roaring outside. When it would gust up that one channel would drop out and I would get the nasty yellow warning screen. I think once the wind dies down that channel will be fine too. It's really hard to aim the antenna at ALL the towers, they are scattered all over the place, some are a good 45 degrees off from the average group so there's no way to pick them up without either another antenna or turning this one and that's not happening.

For the time being, this will be ok. I'll revamp everything in a month or so, I want to add a much better antenna and a new main wire..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)