Subscription ramblings - HD oriented

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
With the Absolute going away at some date that sounds like 'soon', and with many of the new locals in HD going on the EA, which requires MPEG4 equipment only, I got to thinking about what I want to watch and how much it costs.

Currently I have :

America's Everything Pack w/Free HD
HD Platinum
Vip612 HDDVR
DHPP
DVR Fee

Total is $131.99

But I find myself almost never watching SD programming at all. I do watch some movies, series, boxing and golf and smattering of other things, all in HD. Nature shows are seldom watched.

So I started looking at ways to cut costs. Started with the packages. The 120 just leaves out too much, like BBCA, FX and Bravo, and I'm sure others that didn't grab my eyes. The 250 adds 1 HD movie channel that could be interesting, and a few nature shows. Its real value was in the SD days

The 200 looks to be the sweet spot. Plenty to watch of all genres, although not very many ad free movie channels. But the 200 with Platinum HD takes care of some of that.

For Boxing and some very good original series, it is hard to beat HBO and Showtime.

Assuming I made the switch to the 200+HD Platinum+HBO/SHO my bill would go down to $110.99, a $21 savings with what appears to me to be no real loss of things I'd watch.

Am I missing something or am I on the right track?

I vote for "right track." ;) My family doesn't want to do without some of those nature/science channels in HD250, so that's our package. I jettisoned all the premiums in favor of Netflix, and I kept the Platinum for now.

Thanks.

Yes, if I was into those nature/science shows, the 250 would be the right fit. BTW, have you watched 'the Colony' on Discovery yet? Interesting to say the least.

I have Netflix also. Newest movies by mail, some older and some TV series streaming. You can't beat it. And if I just have to have a movie today, I can stream one from Amazon.

as was pointed out in the Absolute thread, some Bravo offerings are available in the on demand section, so for that channel, depending on the show you might be able to tolerate AT120... dunno about the other channels, but may be worth checking.

I remember seeing that. But Golf is also not in the 120, which I would definitely miss. FX is not their either, but I wouldn't miss it nearly as much.

thanks

Well, after talking with my son, I found that because of his work schedule, he only watches UFC and other sports, usually time delayed. And now that he has the 612, he is only watching the HD of them.

So that cleared the way for me to make the switch. Went to Top200+HD Free+HD Platinum+HBO+SHO+MultiSport and with maintenance, dvr and equipment fees the total is $117.99. Down $14 from what it would be with AEP and the rest. That's a good thing.

Then I went and looked in my custom channel lists and found that not a single channel was lost that I watch. That's an even better thing! :)

You know they want us looking at the monthly difference, and when looked that way, it isn't much money. But annually, I just saved myself $168!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)