Suggestion... external line-in

onapartyrock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Since TT/Recast will only record from a line-in and more and more notebooks do not have one; do you guys recommend or would consider offering for sale an external USB/USB2 device to act as a line-in? So far the USB devices I've tried seem to have a slight tin-canned sound.

Just ordered the Toshiba Multimedia Adapter ($120, ouch!) and if it works as well as I hope (USB2, should have the band width) I will post the results.

One more question, any reason for not supporting the Microphone port? Does it distort or is it just impossible to do?

Thanks and welcome back!

future product options

We have considered offering the Sirius TT adapter using USB to deliver the music to the PC. It is something that is reasonable to do for the Sirius unit b/c we are already having to pass the audio via our box. With XM, the audio completely bypasses everything we are doing and goes directly from audio jacks on the XM Direct to an audio jack on the PC.

We would definitely consider releasing a product incorporating USB audio, however we would need to judge the demand. Anyone who would be interested feel free to speak up here and if the response is good I'll be the advocate here on the inside.

In regards to the MIC jack, my understanding is that it is not a question of us needing to do something in order to support it. The processing of the signal from the MIC jack on most PC's is just not high enough quality to get good recordings. I don't know the techical specs, but I know there are issues with stereo, line level, etc. It has more to do with how the sound card is treating the signal from the jack and not the jack itself. I've heard a couple users say that they were able to change the MIC jack into a LINE-IN jack on a few models of laptops.

D
Time Trax

My notebook comes with universal jacks but I still can not get audio so I had to purchase an pcmcia audigy card although I haven't had a chance to see how it will work. Seems that using the usb port would be a much better idea for those using a laptop.

I wish it would pass audio through the USB I use it mainly with my desktop but It would be nice to use it with my laptop also when away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)