GEOSATpro Suggestion-- make a Do's and Don'ts list for channel editing

tekjunkie02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
n.fla
Many people are ending up with looped receivers after trying to use a channel editor.

I'm suggesting you make a simple How-to, or Tips document explaining what NOT TO DO, if there isn't one already.

Pretty much everyone is very happy with this box, but this little problem is causing some dissatisfaction.

Maybe you should even make an insert for the package with a little do's and don'ts list.

First, lets address your perception....

Our estimate, based on information shared with us by resellers, members on this forum and calls to our support team, place the number of looped receivers at approximately 30 or 40 units out of approximately 8,000 receivers sold.

While we regret and are sorry that anyone has been inconvenienced, the truth be told... this amount is much lower than any receiver that we have distributed. This is a temporary corruption that can be easily corrected and is not a permanent issue that kills the receiver. You don't hear about a loop fix as much with other receivers because the distributors require the receiver to be sent in for servicing and would determine an open case a voided warranty. Distributors rarely participate in a forum and this type of RMA would happen behind closed doors. We decided to make the information public knowledge and help users in an open forum to correct the corrupted file. While this makes the process more visible, this is a hobbyist group and most like the knowledge and the opportunity to open receivers without voiding the warranty. We do provide free warranty correction for this problem, but we have only had a dozen takers on the offer.

The majority of the loops originated because of a faulty firmware file installed at time manufacturing in the October, 2012 batch. Those STBs are long gone, but some of the corrupted channel files were saved and reinstalled despite repeated suggestions and warnings to discard.

We believe that we have appropriate sticky threads in place explaining how to open, close, export and import files. If there are any subjects that aren't covered, please explain what isn't clear.

The challenge often is that we don't know the origin of a file, how it was saved, what was edited, what editor, what file type, etc. The majority of issues originate from users not following steps clearly documented and presented.

Here are the do's... It really should be this easy:

1. Install the latest firmware to the microHD
  2. Perform a factory reset
  3. Remove the power for 10 seconds to set the firmware and clear any memory blocks
  4. Scan for transponders and channels
  5. Save the User Database (.udf) file to an USB
  6. Connect the USB to the PC
  7. Import the .udf file into MES using GSP microHD type or open the .udf file into the microHD version of ALI Editor.
  8. Edit the file
  9. Export from MES as .udf using GSP microHD type or Save the file from the microHD as .udf
  10. Connect the USB to the microHD
  11. Load by USB the User Database .udf file
  12. Remove the power for 10 seconds to set the new User Database

Last edited:
What about the configuration of the Ali Editor? If it's set to the wrong chip type, will that cause the creation of a .udf that will cause problems with the Micro?

Some may just assume all the Ali Editors are the same, and if they already have one, they may just use it.

What is it, exactly, in the .udf file that causes the loop issue? How can you, or, can you, check a .udf file to make sure it doesn't have this problem?

I don't know if this was ever explained anywhere, I don't remember it.

Most people are just 'users', not technical, and probably won't read the manual until they've already tried to do it themselves. That's why I was suggesting some kind of "warning label".

Because I lurk around on all these forums, I see the postings of those who had problems. It's great that it is such a small percentage. Thanks for a great product and great support.

In my case, the ALiEditor was corrupt causing a corrupt UDF file. Since using the re-posted ALiEditor, I have not looped the box. (but still reconmend getting a cable for those hobbyist editing their UDF files, for if/once you do loop the box, you will not have to wait for the cable to come in the mail or for the box to be sent in to be un looped) Too bad there was not a way to re-set the UDF to the DDF if the UDF was corrupted by meens of a menu and not having to open the box and use a cable.

The microHD ALI Editor is packaged with the config file setting to 3601s chipset type. This is correct and no changes are necessary by the user. In this setting, the ALI Editor provides the MPEG4/h264 edit screens.

By default, the ALI Editor configuration file chipset was provided by ALI with the chipset type set to 3329c. In the 3329c chip type mode, the editor does not provide the MPEG4/h264 edit screens. No looping errors occur, but HD channels cannot be edited, and may be disabled.

You will notice that each STB based on the ALI chipset provides its own editor version. The end user needs to research the proper editor to use with their brand. This is no different than any other STB. Example: the Pansat and microHD, Manhattan, Sathawk and Traxis ALI Editors are typically not compatible, yet they all use ALI chipsets.

Not much can be done to educate a user who assumes or acts first and reads second. We provide the best user manual of any receiver on the market, yet the majority of questions in this forum could be answered by simply posting a page number.:D

I have been selling the recovery cables since September. I have sold approximately 20, and about half of those were people that wanted to have one for "just in case".
It really is not as common as you think. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts