Suggestions for Cinema10 Movies - ATTENTION VOOM!

TechCop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Aiken, SC
One of my favorite parts of Voom's original programming is the Cinema10 movies (and include Monsters, of course). After 3 months of watching voom and the improvements made to both programming and software, I see a real potential to showcase some wonderful, often overlooked films in a way never before possible. Better than SD, better than DVD, in some cases, better than theater (in my little town Dolby hardly existed until 1995).

So here's the challenge: Don't pick the big guns, modern blockbusters, or the current hit titles already destined for the premiums. Instead, try to remember the flicks from the past that were great then, but could be AWESOME now. (Judging by the recent improvements in Cinema10, I think VOOM is doing this now, but we can certainly offer our assistance, can't we?)

I'll start the list with my first suggestion, an Aussie film epic - The Lighthorsemen (from IMDB):
B00000F4O7.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Lighthorsemen, (1987)
Palestine, 1917. The British advance has been stopped by the Turkish line running from Gaza to Beersheba. The latest attack on Gaza has failed. The attacking forces included a regiment of Australian mounted infantry, the Light Horse... Lighthorseman Frank is wounded in a skirmish with Bedouin. He is replaced by a young soldier, Dave, who proves to be a crack shot, but reluctant to fire at the enemy. Dave proves himself during a German biplane attack. Recuperating in hospital, he meets a sympathetic nurse, Anne... The regiment is called upon for a bold flanking attack on Beersheba. But how do you convince the Turks the main attack will come at Gaza? And how do you attack across a desert without water?

(end IMDB)

This film has one of the greatest cavalry charges ever caught on film. It's long and beautifully filmed to pull you into the action. I currently own the laserdisc version, but I would love to see VOOM bring this one home.

B000087F6L.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Summary: The classic science fiction novel by Ray Bradbury was a curious choice for one of the leading directors of the French New Wave, François Truffaut. But from the opening credits onward (spoken, not written on screen), Truffaut takes Bradbury's fascinating premise and makes it his own. The futuristic society depicted in Fahrenheit 451 is a culture without books. Firemen still race around in red trucks and wear helmets, but their job is to start fires: they ferret out forbidden stashes of books, douse them with gasoline, and make public bonfires. Oskar Werner, the star of Truffaut's Jules and Jim, plays a fireman named Montag, whose exposure to David Copperfield wakens an instinct toward reading and individual thought. (That's why books are banned--they give people too many ideas.) In an intriguing casting flourish, Julie Christie plays two roles: Montag's bored, drugged-up wife and the woman who helps kindle the spark of rebellion. The great Bernard Herrmann wrote the hard-driving music; Nicolas Roeg provided the cinematography. Fahrenheit 451 received a cool critical reception and has never quite been accepted by Truffaut fans or sci-fi buffs. Its deliberately listless manner has always been a problem, although that is part of its point; the lack of reading has made people dry and empty. If the movie is a bit stiff (Truffaut did not speak English well and never tried another project in English), it nevertheless is full of intriguing touches, and the ending is lyrical and haunting. --Robert Horton

One more suggestion. During intermission, HD Cinema should do the transfer of the extra bonus material and play it. Some of them are very interested and give you an insight into the movie and movie makers.

My suggestion: STOP CROPPING THE MOVIES. Sure maybe there are cheesy B flicks on Monsters where you don't really care if they crop them, but who'll decide what to crop and what not. The easiest thing to do is just DON'T. Saw the teaser for The Good The Bad & The Ugly and they're cropping it. That's a crying shame!

Not only cropped movies lose part of picture, I've noticed they tend to look worse too PQ wise. Don't know why that is, but that seems to be the case, at least on HBO.

To sum it up, please don't squeeze the charming, and don't crop the movies.

Another one...

7720.jpg

Sorcerer
Studio: Universal
Year: 1977
Runtime: 121 minutes
Category: Action/Adventure, Remake, Jungle

Actor/Actors: Amidou, Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal, Joe Spinell, Ramon Bieri, Roy Scheider

Direction: William Friedkin

Synopsis: A desperate four-man team must transport a volatile cargo of nitroglycerine over 200 miles of treacherous terrain in order to stop a potentially disastrous oil fire. Based on the novel "The Wages of Fear" by Georges Arnaud.

MPAA Rating: PG

And Another...

41349.jpg

Rustler's Rhapsody
Release Date: 1985
Studio: Paramount
Runtime: 88 minutes
Category: Comedy, Western

Actor/Actors: Andy Griffith, Fernando Rey, Marilu Henner, Patrick Wayne, Tom Berenger

Direction: Hugh Wilson

Synopsis: Tumblin' tumbleweeds! The Wild West goes wacko when the Greatest Fast-Drawin', Fancy-Dressin', Silver-Spurred, Geetar Playin', Singing Cowboy movie matinee idol Rex O'Herlihan (Tom Berenger) hits the saddle in Rustlers' Rhapsody, a cockeyed, affectionate send-up of the '40s B-movie Western. Classic Western stereotypes and clichés get turned on their ear when our fearless hero, fully dressed in white and atop his dancing horse Wildflower, rides into the tackiest town west of the Pecos to do good deeds and defy desperados. Written and directed by Hugh Wilson, who was responsible for the hilarious Police Academy, Rustlers' Rhapsody stars Andy Griffith and Marilu Henner.

Note: Back in the day of LaserDiscs, this was the demo a lot of shops used because of it's Dolby sound quality (plus the neat way it opens into the Dolby sound) - Eddie

And Yet One More...

18836.jpg

The French Connection
Release Date: Studio: Fox
Year: 1971
Runtime: 104 minutes
Category: Action/Adventure, Drama, New York, Cops, Drugs, Academy Award Best Picture, Academy Award Best Actor, Academy Award Best Director

Actor/Actors: Fernando Rey, Frederic De Pasquale, Gene Hackman, Marcel Bozzuffi, Roy Scheider, Tony Lo Bianco

Direction: William Friedkin

Synopsis: Two narcotics detectives, "Popeye" Doyle and his partner Buddy Russo, start to close in on a vast international narcotics ring when the smugglers unexpectedly strike back. Following an attempt on his life by one of the smugglers, Doyle sets off a deadly pursuit that ultimately takes him far beyond mere New York City limits. Based on a true story.

Julie Christie
OH MY GOD! She's a hearthrob of mine from waaaaaaaaaaaay back! She was a hottie in her day.

MonstersHD is doing a great job of airing the old monster classics, probably because nobody else will. I really miss the Friday Night Chiller type shows from my youth.

HDNET just started up a Friday Chiller and had an awesome movie on last Friday night.

This was recommended by a friend...

I've not seen this but it sounds intriguing, and seems to qualify otherwise:

10m.jpg

The List of Adrian Messenger (1963)
Directed by: John Huston
Writing credits:philip MacDonald (novel); Anthony Veiller
Genre: Crime / Mystery / Drama (more)

Tagline: 5 Great Stars Challenge You to Guess the Disguised Roles they Play!

Cast:
Tony Curtis .... Cameo
Kirk Douglas .... George Brougham/Vicar Atlee/Mr. Pythian/Arthur Henderson
Burt Lancaster .... Cameo
Robert Mitchum .... Cameo
Frank Sinatra .... Cameo
George C. Scott .... Anthony Gethryn

Messenger asks a friend to check into a list of names before leaving on a trip. When his plane is blown out of the sky, the matter becomes more serious. As his friend checks into the list, each seems to have died in mysterious circumstances. As he goes down the list, the deaths become more recent and a race to find the remaining survivors and what put each of them on this list ensues.

For those who grew up in the lower-Michigan/upper-Ohio area and are 40+, let's ask VOOM to dig up Sir Graves Ghastly and The Ghoul and have them host a late night thriller show on MonstersHD. Now who wouldn't enjoy seeing grown men host their show from inside a casket and stuff Froggy with Cheese-Wiz and a Zingy or two? :up

In that case, Darrell...

DarrellP said:
OH MY GOD! She's a hearthrob of mine from waaaaaaaaaaaay back! She was a hottie in her day.

MonstersHD is doing a great job of airing the old monster classics, probably because nobody else will. I really miss the Friday Night Chiller type shows from my youth.

HDNET just started up a Friday Chiller and had an awesome movie on last Friday night.

19517.jpg

Category: Drama, Romantic, War, Epic

Actor/Actors: Alec Guinness, Geraldine Chaplin, :D Julie Christie :D , Omar Sharif, Ralph Richardson, Rita Tushingham, Rod Steiger, Siobhan McKenna, Tom Courtenay

Direction: David Lean

Synopsis: David Lean demonstrates again why he's a peerless filmmaker of substance and scale, directing Boris Pasternak's tumultuous tale of Russia divided by war and hearts torn by love. Epic images abound: revolution in the streets, an infantry charge into No Man's Land, the train ride to the Urals, an icebound dacha. Doctor Zhivago is in love with Lara and they're both caught up in the tidal wave of history.

Elvira still looks good...

riffjim4069 said:
For those who grew up in the lower-Michigan/upper-Ohio area and are 40+, let's ask VOOM to dig up Sir Graves Ghastly and The Ghoul and have them host a late night thriller show on MonstersHD. Now who wouldn't enjoy seeing grown men host their show from inside a casket and stuff Froggy with Cheese-Wiz and a Zingy or two? :up

Maybe she's available, too. Might pull in Mike Nelson and the bots for a MST marathon... :)

Animal House (1978)

Animal House (1978)

Genre: Comedy
Tagline: It was the Deltas against the rules... the rules lost!

Plot Outline: At a 1962 College, Dean Vernon Wormer is determined to expel the Delta House Fraternity, but those roughhousers have other plans for him.
more here

sorry im a simpleton......toga...toga ...toga !!!!!!!!!!!

movie clip

Attachments

• animal.jpg
    animal.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 182
One for Monsters...

23667.jpg

Silver Bullet
Year: 1985
Runtime: 94 minutes
Category: Horror, Teen, Literary (Based on Book or Play), Stephen King, Werewolves
Actors: Corey Haim, Everett McGill, Gary Busey, Leon Russom, Megan Follows, Robin Groves, Terry O'Quinn
Direction: Daniel Attias

Synopsis: Something is killing off townsfolk in Tarker's Mills. Something mysterious. Something ingenious. Something remotely human. But the only person in town with the courage to stop this lurking menace is a 13-year-old-boy, confined to a wheelchair since birth.

MPAA Rating: R

Another Older Classic Movie

15308.jpg

12 Angry Men
Studio: MGM/UA
Year: 1957
Runtime: 96 minutes
Category: Drama, Legal
Actor/Actors: E.G. Marshall, Ed Begley, Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, Martin Balsam, Robert Webber
Direction: Sidney Lumet

Synopsis: Eleven jurors are convinced that the defendant is guilty of murder. The twelfth has no doubt of his innocence. How can one man steer the others toward the same conclusion? It's a case of seemingly overwhelming evidence against a teenager accused of killing his father.

MPAA Rating: Not Rated

How about this one...

25199.jpg

The Onion Field
Studio: MGM/UA
Year: 1979
Runtime: 126 minutes
Category: Drama, Cops, Literary (Based on Book or Play)
Actor/Actors: Franklyn Seales, James Woods, John Savage, Ronny Cox
Direction: Harold Becker

Synopsis: On March 9, 1963, LAPD officers Karl Hettinger and Ian Campbell pull over a vehicle for making an illegal U-turn - and find themselves held at gunpoint by two seasoned armed robbers. Forced to give up thier guns and drive to a deserted road, both officers face the horror of becoming victims in a mob-style execution...but only one is able to escape into the bleak darkness of an onion field. Based on a true story.

One of my personal favorites...

I've always been a fan of director Walter Hill...
14944.jpg

The Warriors
Year: 1979
Runtime: 93 minutes
Category: Action/Adventure, New York, '70s, Gangs
Actor/Actors: Brian Tyler, Dorsey Wright, James Remar, Mercedes Ruehl, Michael Beck, Thomas Waites
Direction: Walter Hill

Synopsis: The Warriors, a New York City street gang, are unfairly blamed for the death of a rival gang leader. Now they must fight for their lives against armies of gangs that outnumber the police 5 to 1!

MPAA Rating: R

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)