Suggestions for Cinema10 Movies - ATTENTION VOOM!

How about a classic chase scene?

From another great director, Peter Yates.
1217.jpg

Bullit
Studio: Warner Brothers
Year: 1968
Runtime: 113 minutes
Category: Action/Adventure, Chase
Actor/Actors: Don Gordon, Jacqueline Bisset, Robert Duvall, Robert Vaughn, Simon Oakland, Steve McQueen
Direction: Peter Yates

Synopsis: Steve McQueen stars in one of his most memorable roles as a hard-driving, hard-as-nails San Francisco cop, featuring one of filmdom's greatest breakneck car chases.

MPAA Rating: PG

10. Cobra
09. Fly Away Home
08. Less Than Zero
07. The Legend of Billie Jean
06. Angel Heart
05. Heathers
04. 9 1/2 Weeks
03. Dead Poets Society
02. Drugstore Cowboy
01. The Long Kiss Goodnight

I know these aren't as old as other selections on the list, but I figure if they can get Hoosiers and The Usual Suspects they should be able to secure anything on this list if they really want to.

Honorable Mentions:

Palmetto, Rudy, Field of Dreams, The Accused, October Sky, Alive,
The Lost Boys, The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, Dream a Little Dream,
Young Guns, A River Runs Through It, Roadhouse, Light of Day,
The Secret of Roan Inish, The Secret of My Success, The Naked Lunch,
Some Kind of Wonderful, Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club,
The Seventh Sign, Purple Rain, The Boy Who Could Fly, Footloose,
The Point of No Return, Fire With Fire, Red Dawn, Back to the Future

B0000399WC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Summary: Franklin J. Schaffner (Patton) directs this true story of Henri Charriere (better known as "Papillon" or "the butterfly"), a prisoner so determined to escape the notorious Devil's Island, he attempted it multiple times until he reached old age. Steve McQueen plays Charriere, and Dustin Hoffman is very good as the hero's anxious, defenseless friend. Based on Charriere's own memoir and uncompromisingly adapted by screenwriters Dalton Trumbo (Johnny Got His Gun) and Lorenzo Semple Jr. (Three Days of the Condor), the film is tough going (it is set, after all, on Devil's Island) but not gratuitously violent. There are sequences that stay with one for a long time, such as Papillon's brief stay at a leper colony and the long periods of starvation and solitary confinement he endures after each attempted flight. --Tom Keogh

B000056BP4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Summary: Ben-Hur scooped an unprecedented 11 Academy Awards® in 1959 and, unlike some later rivals, richly deserved every single one. This is epic filmmaking on a scale that had not been seen before and is unlikely ever to be seen again. But it's not just running time or a cast of thousands that makes an epic, it's the subject matter, and here the subject--Prince Judah Ben-Hur (Charlton Heston) and his estrangement from old Roman pal Messala (Stephen Boyd)--is rich, detailed, and sensitively handled. Director William Wyler, who had been a junior assistant on MGM's original silent version back in 1925, never sacrifices the human focus of the story in favor of spectacle, and is aided immeasurably by Miklos Rozsa's majestic musical score, arguably the greatest ever written for a Hollywood picture. At four hours it's a long haul (especially given some of the portentous dialogue), but all in all, Ben-Hur is a great movie, best seen on the biggest screen possible. --Mark Walker

TechCop said:
Hey Timm-

You computer must be near your DVD case...

Eddie

:D Actually, most of those are ones that I really like, but not quite enough to buy the DVD (or I'm waiting for a better version of the DVD).

I know what you mean.

TheTimm said:
:D Actually, most of those are ones that I really like, but not quite enough to buy the DVD (or I'm waiting for a better version of the DVD).
My collection depreciates every time I see one of my collection titles in real HD :( (At least it depreciates in my mind),
but my opinion of VOOM rises. :)

Saturday Night Fever (1977)​

B00003CXCH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Summary: Saturday Night Fever is one of those movies that comes along and seems to change the cultural temperature in a flash. After the movie's release in 1977, disco ruled the dance floors, and a blow-dried member of a TV-sitcom ensemble became the hottest star in the U.S. For all that, the story is conventional: a 19-year-old Italian American from Brooklyn, Tony Manero (John Travolta), works in a humble paint store and lives with his family. After dark, he becomes the polyester-clad stallion of the local nightclub; Tony's brother, a priest, observes that when Tony hits the dance floor, the crowd parts like the Red Sea before Moses. Director John Badham captures the electric connection between music and dance, and also the desperation that lies beneath Tony's ambitions to break out of his limited world. The soundtrack, which spawned a massively successful album, is dominated by the disco classics of the Bee Gees, including "Staying Alive" (Travolta's theme during the strutting opening) and "Night Fever." The Oscar®-nominated Travolta, plucked from the cast of Welcome Back, Kotter, for his first starring role, is incandescent and unbelievably confident, and his dancing is terrific. Oh, and the white suit rules. --Robert Horton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)