This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Suggestions for SRL & Skyvision Concerning W5 Service next year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I thought I would start a thread with suggestions for what SRL / Skyvision should suggest to Comcast for our W5 service next year.

I will start with these:

1) Keep ITC 4D mapped in.
2) Generic tiles stay.
3) Current satellite tiles stay.
4) See if Comcast could migrate some of the basic cable megapipe channels to non combo for us. There are open slots on W5 in a few muxes.

Feel free to post your wish list in this thread.

Showtime.

There are some Showtime exclusives that would be nice to get. (ie: "The Big C" series) It is my understanding that the Showtime channels ARE still on the W5 satellite, but not subscribeable at the moment. I'd like, if possible, to see these on the list of available channels again. In order to be a competitor to DirecTV/Dish, it would be reasonable to offer the Showtime channels.

Discovery 3 pack needs to be added (tlc, animal and discovery)

I know the discovery suite is on there but thats all different (sci military green hub etc.)

And I agree Showtime too !

Keep the Pick-10-Pack, and if possible... add a few more choices in it.

But my biggest desire is to keep a full set tiles (including generics). BTW, if we keep all the tiles, and authorization is done through SRL instead of HITS... what would keep SRL from getting contracts to provide some of the non-HITS channels on other sats?

Cheers

I let my Discovery Channel package run out on 4DTV and didn't bother renew it last time. If I were to have any wishes it would be DIY, NICK, Travel Channel, Comedy Central.

I might be interested in Starz- Encore again if Retroplex- Indieplex was there and competitively priced the way it was on the other 4DTV satellites. I let those go too.

If channels could be added I would vote for ABC Family, TBS, Nick and Disney. Back in the day on the bud we got east and west coast feeds of all these. I loved having east and west coast feed's of so many channels. On DirecTV Nick and Disney offer E&W but not Abc Family.

why stick with the 410? have any of you seen the new dsr 605/630's shaw is offering. without hd even w5 is doomed. haha.

crackt out,.

The new Shaw receiver was specially built by Motorola for Shaw. To get access to that SRL/Sky would have to sign a contract for the rights to use that receiver and order a fair amount of them. It all boils down to bucks, Shaw has it with the numbers of subs they have Skyvision don't. If some rich billionaire wanted to put up the cash you would see how much would happen with C band. $$$$$$$$ talks thats the bottom line. I'm sure SRL/Sky had to pay Motorola already to get where we are at today.

Top of my wish list:

Discovery 3 pack needs to be added (tlc, animal and discovery)
Showtime
CNN/Fox News

Mike Kohl said on sattalk last night there may be some pleasant surprises come January. Lets hope They can pull off some good stuff.

The only HAHA I have is to NPS come January 2011.

Big thumbs up on that :up Can't wait till there out of the picture. As we speak there taking some unsuspecting 4DTV user and forcing to drink the Dish Network Kool Aid. :rant:

Here's the way I look at it. Everyone knows what a PIA we BUDheads have been over the years, wanting these chs, wanting those chs, etc. At the 1st of the year we have to face facts, the days of subbing to masters is history.

So why go thru all of the hassle of us wanting this, wanting that? If all we get is the current feeds on W5, they would have to know there's going to be no end to our requests of this, or of that. IOW, we become a PIA again. So why not just eliminate that problem right off the bat? Find us some way to have access to all that HITS has, combomode feeds and all, HD and all.

Once that would be done, we would know we couldn't request anymore channels, because we would have access to everything offered on those sats. But what are the chances realistically? Absolutely slim and none unfortunately. But if it were possible somehow, I for one would be content with the selection to choose from, since HITS actually has a very good selection of channels, but unfortunately, many of them we can't even get, because we lack the proper equipment. I would be willing to bet, even a small cable company could come up with the proper equipment for their customers before we ever could. Why are things so impossible for us, but small cable companies have no problems providing it's customers with the equipment they need to view HD, etc?

I'd like to see
Fox News
CNN or HLN
Weather Channel
Food Network
Discovery
possibly either TBS or TNT

Without ability to sub to masters, we are about the same as pizza subbers, except we don't have a contract hanging over us, and the price for that is missing channels.

Without ability to sub to masters, we are about the same as pizza subbers, except we don't have a contract hanging over us, and the price for that is missing channels.

Not really, HITS's may be 2nd generation but it's way better quality (bitrate) than SD mini-dish.

Just compare the number of channels each put on a single transponder.

Maybe the surprises hopeful for January include Comcast rearranging what channels are in what formats. If Megapipe isn't necessary for all the feeds currently on AMC18 that might open up a few channels previously unavailable for 4D.

Not really, HITS's may be 2nd generation but it's way better quality (bitrate) than SD mini-dish.

Just compare the number of channels each put on a single transponder.

DirecTV uses 20000 SR and a 6/7 FEC they put 10 to 11 channels in a mux. There SD look quite good.

HITS uses 19510 SR 3/4 FEC, 9 to 12 channels in a mux. The SD looks quite good also.

Dishnetwork I don't follow but last time I checked they put 14 to 16 channels in a mux using 20000 SR and 7/8 FEC. There SD looks crappy

Status
Please reply by conversation.