Suggestions for what to do with dish if Ivan hits??

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
My dish made it through Frances, but then again we only got about 40 mph winds with some higher gusts. Ivan the terrible looks like it's coming right for us with winds of 150+. I understand dishes are rated to 120mph winds. Is there any chance my dish won't turn into a flying missile or should I consider finding a ladder somewhere(it's up on the roof of the second floor of my condo building) and taking my dish down for this one?? It's not looking good here.

I would call Voom and ask if a dish gets damage durning a weather event. This is a good question to ask. Since Voom doesn't allow self installs, I wouldn't touch the dish at all and let Voom fix any damage to the dish.

If the equipment is leased Voom said it's covered, however if you got a 24" dish upgrade and don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for one again, I recommend taking it down if you can without hurting yourself.

It is leased. So basically I should leave it up and hope for the best? My biggest worry is the OTA antenna. I can deal without satellite but I would be lost without being able to watch the news before/during/after the storm(that's assuming I even have a house left to watch it in). I went shopping for a small handheld tv yesterday....yeah right...everyone is completely sold out of them.

Judging from what happened to Frances, if their's a power hit, all the digital OTA feeds get turned off anyway! I guess if you invest into an all digital HT household, you have enough money to ESP storm data to your brain.

True, but channel 6 did leave their digital OTA feed on all the time. I'm hoping they will do it again.

lostcause:
If I were you, I'll take it down and put it back after the strom is gone. Otherwise, if you lost the dish I'm sure V* will get you another one but it may take weeks.

I think if Ivan hits me, I'm going to take my 24" dish off and surf the flood waters with it...then I'll coin the term.. "flood fade".

I took down my 24" dish when charley hit.
Still got some OTA recetion with only the cable hanging on the pole.
Left the dish up for Frances since the winds were much lower.
I marked the pole and dish mount with a sharpe marker and took down both the dish and OTA antenna as one unit from the base pole.
Put it back up, lined up the makers and had someone inside letting me know what the signal was.
Got it peaked back in at 96 within a minute.
If Ivan heads this way with winds higher like charley i will be taking it down again.
Leaving it up with high winds only leaves the chance that it will take the pole mount and part of your roof with it.

I'm in West Palm BEach FL. I took the whole mast down for Frances and have left it down until Ivan passes. If I had left it up, it would have been destroyed. We had major limbs and debris falling everywhere.

I'm asking VOom for a credit for the two weeks I have had no progrmming.

They owe it to me considering the money I saved them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts