Suggestions on how to improve Signal Quality?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greyskies

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
sunny South Florida
Have 30" dish up and running on motor. Get signal from several sats finally. However, quality on a few is only between 45-60 and picture freezes and "pixilates (sp?)". I am operating with a Fortecstar Lifetime Receiver, a Digipower SG2100 motor, a Hotdish 75 (30" dish) and a DMS Standard KuBand LNBF (with LO at 10750).

Is there anything I can do other than but a bigger dish in order to improve the signal quality so that the picture remains constant and not freezing or pixilating? Also, I trust that any solution might impact my reception on other satellites.

Your sincere support and advice is appreciated.

greyskiesf

Is there specific satellites or channels that you are having problems with??

G10 and T5(IA5) usually are pretty good.

The only 2 things I can think of are a larger dish or maybe tweak it with the motor (one click left ot right sometimes can make the big difference)

The regular channels that give my receiver fits are
WVGN on AMC6 (around 30)
Montana PBS on AMC3 (this one you really should have a 36" or larger
Couple of news feeds on T6

Greyskies, if you have a signal meter put it inline, aim the dish to say AMC 4, and while the LNB is in the holder move it up and down in the bracket.
You may need to push the LNB forward or backward.
How tall is the pole you mounted the dish on?

Just a couple of things that helped me.

Cascade said:
Greyskies, if you have a signal meter put it inline, aim the dish to say AMC 4, and while the LNB is in the holder move it up and down in the bracket.
You may need to push the LNB forward or backward.
How tall is the pole you mounted the dish on?

Just a couple of things that helped me.

The pole is 5' tall, mounted onto a flange (threaded side of galvanized steel pole), which is bolted onto concrete floor of second story patio (no roof, screens, overhang or walls).

Will attempt to move the LNBF forward and backward to see if that impacts the Signal Quality. Should the LNBF preferably be pushed forward or back?

Will let you know what happens after I get home from work today, and if the darn rain in Sunny South Florida ever stops (pouring on and off for days).

How can I determine the benefit that I could gain by going to a 1 meter dish from my Hotdish 75 that is currently installed, so that I can consider this option?

Signal Quality on some satellites is up into high 80s and low 90s. On others, 45-60 and problems with channels on those satellites. Are you and PSB and other regulars (oops moderators) using C-Band or 1.2 meter dishes?

Finally, interested in receiving Chuck Harder show. Is it on KuBand, do I need larger dish.

greyskies said:
How can I determine the benefit that I could gain by going to a 1 meter dish from my Hotdish 75 that is currently installed, so that I can consider this option?

Signal Quality on some satellites is up into high 80s and low 90s. On others, 45-60 and problems with channels on those satellites. Are you and PSB and other regulars (oops moderators) using C-Band or 1.2 meter dishes?

I'm using a 76 cm dish (30") in Minnesota. You have to remember, these signals normally aren't for us to view (they are for the stations) so they make it so you would need a huge ars antenna to get them 9like 6 feet or larger)
Finally, interested in receiving Chuck Harder show. Is it on KuBand, do I need larger dish.

no. Chuck is on AMC4 and a 30" will do fine

greyskies said:
Will attempt to move the LNBF forward and backward to see if that impacts the Signal Quality. Should the LNBF preferably be pushed forward or back?

normally the LNBF should be pushed as far back away from the dish as possible. I use to have mine in the middle and when I moved it back, I gained 5 points

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts