Suggestions on PDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMcKen1912

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2004
Mississippi
I'm looking for a good PDA or Smartphone. I don't know a whole lot about them other than just the basics.

I was looking at the new Blackberry 8700G, but I've never had a Blackberry before.

So I was just wondering if any could give a suggestion on which would be a good one to look at.

I mainly just want it for contacts and to do lists and such, probably not so much for internet connection.

For contacts and to do lists Palm's are elegant in their simplicity. Who's your cell company?

For PDA you need to decide what it is you really want to do. If its true push e-mail you need Blackberry is still the best bet. BUt they are best for that purrpose. T-Mobile is not really a good choice for pghone reliability ( I know as I had them for 18 months) Their internet service is slow and intermittent. PDA phones are less reliable than regular phones with T-Mobile this is a real problem.

If it's just a good PDA for personal computing needs, the IPAQ 6515, I recall is the hot item from T-MObile. I had and still have the 6315. If you're ready for better phone service and a good PDA, Sprint or Verizion is excellent with good equipment like Palms 700W for business people and XV6700 for geeks. Later this summer, these non-blackberry PDA phones will have Push E-mail but for now you have to poll your mailbox.

If your corporate email system has a Blackberry Enterprise Server, you can't beat that for email, scheduling and address book sync between your Outlook or Lotus Notes.

We do both Palm and Blackberry in my organization and the support requirements for the Blackberry are almost non-existant compared to the palm users.

Update for my post- Looks like Palm 700w is getting Push e-mail with the new rom update. Just received notice on this. Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) upgrade required for Direct Push Technology and Global Address List lookup.

BMcKen1912 said:
I'm looking for a good PDA or Smartphone. I don't know a whole lot about them other than just the basics.

I was looking at the new Blackberry 8700G, but I've never had a Blackberry before.

So I was just wondering if any could give a suggestion on which would be a good one to look at.

I mainly just want it for contacts and to do lists and such, probably not so much for internet connection.

Not trying to be an idiot, but you have to first answer...

Why? What functions do you need aside from the phone?

As was said elsewhere IF your company has a BlackBerry server AND you need your e-mail wherever you are then go for a BlackBerry!

If you need text messaging and a long list of contacts and appointments, then then (depending on which telco) you can just get a RAZR or 815m from Motorola and Motorola Phone Tools ($50) and synch Contacts & Calendar with your MS Outlook.

I have had both BlackBerries and phones depending on where I was working and what I needed. Most of the time the phone option is not only cheaper, but the best option. Simple is the answer, as long as it is Bluetooth!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts