Summer Debut for Cablevision Network DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wberndt

Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Saw this on www.engadgethd.com , which linked to the site below & thought I'd share it here.

Looks like this may be happening soon. Not sure how I feel about this, especially with some of the 'compromises' they have to make to get this out (like not being able to skip commercials -BOOOO!). I'll reserve judgement until it's official and available.

Cable Digital News - Video - Summer Debut for Cablevision Network DVR - Telecom News Analysis

Cablevision Systems Corp. (NYSE: CVC) plans to deploy its controversial Remote Storage-DVR (RS-DVR) some time this summer, according to a report from Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. Inc. analyst Craig Moffett.
"We'll be rolling out our first product based on [the RS-DVR] later this summer. We'll move to centralized storage," Cablevision COO Tom Rutledge told the analyst, noting that the company still believes its approach is on solid legal footing.
Last fall, the MSO indicated that the service could be up and running by early 2009. (See RS-DVR Debut: 'Early Next Year' .)
Cablevision sees the RS-DVR as a big capex saver, as deployment of the service would cost about $100 less per customer, compared with giving every sub a set-top box outfitted with a hard drive. It also solves a problem of in-home wiring: An RS-DVR implementation could be configured as whole-home DVR that doesn't require Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) or another advanced home-networking platform to shuttle video around the home's network.
Studios, programmers, and other content holders generally oppose the RS-DVR. But Cablevision has prevailed so far, as the courts have said the network-based system doesn't directly infringe on copyright rules and should be granted the same protections already governing stand-alone DVRs and VHS machines. (See Lawsuits Could Nuke Network DVR, Net DVR Still Appealing for Cablevision and Court Resurrects Cablevision's Network DVR .)
In the most recent legal matter, the U.S. Supreme Court asked the Department of Justice weigh in on the appeals court ruling in January, indicating that the high court may eventually determine the fate of the RS-DVR. (See Supremes Consider Cablevision's RS-DVR .)
However, Cablevision now believes that the MSO and programmers can eventually find common ground without further legal intervention.
"I think ultimately we'll end up in some commercial arrangement with programmers. We're having discussions with the copyright holders that can make the network DVR model work in their best interests," said Rutledge, as quoted in Moffett's report.
Those comments could portend a change of direction for Cablevision on the subject of advertising. Previously, Cablevision said it the RS-DVR would function like a regular DVR, meaning it would not prevent viewers from fast-forwarding through the advertising.
But the MSO may be willing to disable that function as Time Warner Cable Inc. (NYSE: TWC) does for "Start Over," an application that restarts shows that are already in progress. Another possibility: Cablevision may try to appeal to programmers by coupling RS-DVR recordings with addressable/targeted advertising, a capability it's also rolling out this summer.
Cablevision was not immediately available for further comment Tuesday morning.
— Jeff Baumgartner, Site Editor, Cable Digital News

no thank you
the main reason i have a dvr is to skip commercials
the cost is the same as having a local hard drive
what is the point?

its supposed to be able to skip commercials just like you currently can. However its also supposed to give you the ablity to due online scheduling. And record more the 2 channels at a time.

its supposed to be able to skip commercials just like you currently can. However its also supposed to give you the ablity to due online scheduling. And record more the 2 channels at a time.

No it isn't. One of the selling points Cablevision is using to get past the legal issues with the tv networks is that you can't skip through the commercials.

You may know something we don't/ i hope but everything i read hints at removing the ability to skip ads?

taken from above:

However, Cablevision now believes that the MSO and programmers can eventually find common ground without further legal intervention.
"I think ultimately we'll end up in some commercial arrangement with programmers. We're having discussions with the copyright holders that can make the network DVR model work in their best interests," said Rutledge, as quoted in Moffett's report.
Those comments could portend a change of direction for Cablevision on the subject of advertising. Previously, Cablevision said it the RS-DVR would function like a regular DVR, meaning it would not prevent viewers from fast-forwarding through the advertising.
But the MSO may be willing to disable that function as Time Warner Cable Inc. (NYSE: TWC) does for "Start Over," an application that restarts shows that are already in progress. Another possibility: Cablevision may try to appeal to programmers by coupling RS-DVR recordings with addressable/targeted advertising, a capability it's also rolling out this summer.

Sounds like they're trying to take the approach of delivering something that isn't legal in an effort to pressure the regulators/programmers to deal with the problem.

I can't see any good coming from this approach.

My question is not about the commercial skip.

Its about the SPEED. I can't imagine this thing being fast. Look how slow OnDemand is.

If it that slow like the On Demand on don't want it, will we have the option to keep the DVR's we have now?

All boxes will be able to use this feature, doesnt matter if its a dvr or not, you will be using the ondemand buttons for this. This is implemented using a simple code push wherein you will notice that your boxes will reboot in the middle of the night. The commercial problem is trying to be solved by having commercials while your fast forwarding through them, it would be almost similar to PIP, only while you fast forward or rewind. Kinda Sucks.

All boxes will be able to use this feature, doesnt matter if its a dvr or not, you will be using the ondemand buttons for this. This is implemented using a simple code push wherein you will notice that your boxes will reboot in the middle of the night. The commercial problem is trying to be solved by having commercials while your fast forwarding through them, it would be almost similar to PIP, only while you fast forward or rewind. Kinda Sucks.

And you know this how???

You do realize that the regular remotes only have stop, forward, reverse, and play on them.

Where's the LIVE button? Where's the RECORD button? Where's the instant LIST button to go to the DVR menu? Where's the INSTANT REPLAY button? Where' the PIP buttons?

And you know this how???

You do realize that the regular remotes only have stop, forward, reverse, and play on them.

Where's the LIVE button? Where's the RECORD button? Where's the instant LIST button to go to the DVR menu? Where's the INSTANT REPLAY button? Where' the PIP buttons?

Live, Instant replay and Record can all be handled via on screen options when you hit the iO button on your remote. As it is now, you don't need to use the Record button if you're navigating the guide anyway, so that only applies to when you're already tuned to what you want to record. You can also get to the Live show by...drumroll.....entering in the actual channel number. Sure that's more buttons to push, but at least there's a work around. Instant Replay? Hit the rewind button. If they do go the iO button route, that will inevitably piss off people who already want the iO button to go directly to the guide and wouldn't be as fast as what we have now.

Or, and even easier, CV will just swap out your non-DVR remote with the DVR version when you sign up for the new service.

You won't get PiP with the network DVR. You only get that now b/c each DVR set top box has a dual tuner inside. With the current system, you use one of those to record and the other watch a live or previously recorded show. On a network DVR, CV is storing the data for you in a manner which won't utilize the lone tuner on your existing box. That way you're free to watch live tv, but you will lose the PiP functionality offered now.

All in all, I'll be sticking with my current DVR with no plans to change until I hear some reviews. I'm pretty sure we'll lose the ability to rewind live tv that we get now. I'm just not so sure they can do that effectively (read: quickly) on a network DVR. I'd also get a Tivo before I paid for a network DVR that wouldn't let me fast forward through commericals.

Last edited:
Live, Instant replay and Record can all be handled via on screen options when you hit the iO button on your remote. As it is now, you don't need to use the Record button if you're navigating the guide anyway, so that only applies to when you're already tuned to what you want to record. You can also get to the Live show by...drumroll.....entering in the actual channel number. Sure that's more buttons to push, but at least there's a work around. Instant Replay? Hit the rewind button. If they do go the iO button route, that will inevitably piss off people who already want the iO button to go directly to the guide and wouldn't be as fast as what we have now.

Or, and even easier, CV will just swap out your non-DVR remote with the DVR version when you sign up for the new service.

You won't get PiP with the network DVR. You only get that now b/c each DVR set top box has a dual tuner inside. With the current system, you use one of those to record and the other watch a live or previously recorded show. On a network DVR, CV is storing the data for you in a manner which won't utilize the lone tuner on your existing box. That way you're free to watch live tv, but you will lose the PiP functionality offered now.

All in all, I'll be sticking with my current DVR with no plans to change until I hear some reviews. I'm pretty sure we'll lose the ability to rewind live tv that we get now. I'm just not so sure they can do that effectively (read: quickly) on a network DVR. I'd also get a Tivo before I paid for a network DVR that wouldn't let me fast forward through commericals.

See your problem with your whole thing is "there is a work around"

I'm not working around anything! Besides you don't have to explain to me about what each features does. No drumroll needed. I know every in 's and out's. I'm talking for people that don't have a dvr yet. I'm replying to the post. The OnDemand buttons are a work around.

The network dvr is a HORRIBLE idea. HORRIBLE!

Major point. SPEED. That can't skip commercial rumor is just icing on the cake of a horrible idea.

Think about it. just a example of HBO ONDemand:

- Press 500 or the On Demand Button - either way 5 to 10 seconds wait
- Then scroll down to HBO OnDemand and hit button - 5 to 10 seconds wait
- Then choose choice of movie. Two buttons pressed - 5 - 10 seconds wait
- Then press the movie to play - 5 -10 seconds wait.

Etc
Etc
Etc .... Your talking 40 seconds just to get a movie to start. Forget about hitting the stop button and it not stopping on a dime like the DVR does. Every dvr entry is instantaneous. No wait.

And what about saved spots, is it going to do that??? And what about when OnDEMAND goes down like it does many times. Then what? BS, I want my dvr at my beck and call.

and lastly you also forgot to mention where the hell did this guy get this info from.

Until then its bogus. And your work around ideas are the same.

No need for a network DVR. Scientific Atlanta / Cisco .... HAS A MULTIROOM DVR. Why don't they just issue them to people that want one.

Last edited:
Will it be a option to keep the your DVR when they have the Network DVR's come out?, if i want to keep using my DVR that i have now

Cablevision Systems COO Tom Rutledge issued the following statement: "This is a tremendous victory, and it opens up the possibility of offering a DVR experience to all of our digital-cable customers. At the same time, we are mindful of the potential implications for ad skipping and the concerns this has raised in the programming community. We believe there are ways to take this victory and work with programmers to give our customers what they want -- full DVR functionality through existing digital set-top boxes -- and at the same time deliver real benefits to advertisers. This landmark case gives the cable industry, and Cablevision in particular, the opportunity to do something that our satellite competitors cannot do. We expect to begin deploying the first application of this new technology, the ability to pause live television when the phone rings, as a value-added benefit to our customers later this summer."

Public Knowledge Praises Supreme Court For Declining To Review Cablevision DVR Service Challenge - 2009-06-29 16:28:31 | Multichannel News

LOL......40 seconds to get a movie?????..... if thats too long, take a trip to blockbuster then.

If a customer decides to get this new service, all they would have to do is get a dvr remote, cv is not handing out regular box remotes any longer, only dvr remotes....go swap a box at an optimum store and see what remote they give you. My information is credible.

If a customer decides to get this new service, all they would have to do is get a dvr remote, cv is not handing out regular box remotes any longer, only dvr remotes....go swap a box at an optimum store and see what remote they give you. My information is credible.

Wouldn't one with a current standard cable box then be denied use of the "out to VCR" feature and the ability to watch another program during dubbing like we have on the 8300 because it has multiple tuners and a hard drive? And does that also mean in order not to mess up dubbing one would have to be very careful to be sure the cablebox remains on during the recording, no buttons on the remote are accidentally touched and that the HD is set kept on at all times to insure the "handshake" not being broken?

Wonder if this means CV will charge new DVR subscribers something additional to the $9.95 monthly fee in order to use the hard drive or that they will be forced to purchase a TIVO?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts