Sunday nights on CBS and Fox

n0aaa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
We watch a couple of shows on Sunday nights. Football games push these past their scheduled times. Dish seems to record them at their scheduled times regardless of when they actually appear. Please find a way to upgrade the code to find these and record them when they actually appear! We can, with difficulty, watch them online from their home networks, but it takes some doing. Thanks.

The guide does not update that quickly, so you will never get the actual start time. (In fact sometimes I need to reset the receiver to see guide updates) For me it only affects CBS, the Good Wife and the Mentalist. I extended the timer for the Good Wife by 60 minutes, the same for the Mentalist. As a back up since I have AAD I have those shows set to record on a different receiver at the West Coast time, which is never late.

I just extend the time for the Mentalist by 1 1/2 hours, which covers both shows. If you extend Good Wife, then Mentalist my be skipped depending on your priorities for each show.

CBS is really bad about sporting events screwing up the Sunday night lineup. and Fox was smart enough to have The OT for the football season for late games of their NFL Sunday double headers. the only time Fox has the Sunday night lineup screwed up is ether because a football game went into overtime or was delay by weather or if a NASCAR race got stuck on a long rain delay. earlier this year, the NASCAR Cup spring race at Talladega was put on a very long rain delay and the final laps of the race resumed in the late evening only to be cut a few laps short as Talladega Superspeedway doesn't have lights for night racing and they were running out of daylight. and because of it, it preempted a episode of The Cleveland Show to the next week where they end up showing both that episode and the episode that was meant to air the that week aired after.

This creates a big problem for PTAT which could be alleviated by allowing the user to adjust the end time for PTAT on certain days of the week. There needs to be more user adjustments allowed with PTAT. We record the news but when it runs over there is no auto hop.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

This time the Mentalist was not new anyway. (Description is incorrect) It was changed because of the very late start time.

I just set up a manual timer to run from 6pm cst to 2am cst. Sometime it takes a lot of fast forwarding to get to the shows I watch but at least I don't miss any of them.

This was discussed on another thread and I noted there that Les Moonves from CBS when questioned about this said "viewers of the The Good Wife and The Mentalist are loyal followers and can figure out when the shows are on." :rolleyes:

That attitude pretty much sums up the state of the industry.

As mentioned earlier, it is a very simple solution at least with my 722 K receiver. I just record the news broadcast following the game and if the game runs significantly over I just record the next 1/2 hour.

Keep in mind NO ONE knows when the games will exactly wrap up until about 5-10 minutes before they do. I don't think there's enough time to disseminate the information from network to affiliate, affiliate to Tribune (guide providers), Tribune to Dish, and Dish to subscribers.

I thought I have heard the FCC was going to force affiliates to update PSIP "live", but I don't remember when that's supposed to take affect, or if it's only certain market size, or got killed altogether.

When I create a timer for a sports event my Hopper automatically adds 1 hour to the timer. How about PTAT adds 1 hour to the timer that day if any of the PT shows are sports? Now that would be a smart receiver!!

When I create a timer for a sports event my Hopper automatically adds 1 hour to the timer. How about PTAT adds 1 hour to the timer that day if any of the PT shows are sports? Now that would be a smart receiver!!

That doesn't help as the Sunday games on CBS and Fox are not originally in Primetime, they are over runs from the afternoon.

When I create timers for NFL football games I add 30 minutes, which always work when the game is decided by the end of the game(either team have a sizeable lead) But when it's a close game then I add 1 hour extension, But when it's baseball (World Series in particular) then it's always added an hour.

We watch a couple of shows on Sunday nights. Football games push these past their scheduled times. Dish seems to record them at their scheduled times regardless of when they actually appear. Please find a way to upgrade the code to find these and record them when they actually appear! We can, with difficulty, watch them online from their home networks, but it takes some doing. Thanks.
It's isn't possible to fix the problem for live events. Having worked in several stations you have to have a person trigger the events manually. Even if you are using automation you have do it that way. Even a company several stations running off automation together, they have to trigger it at one station that cues the others to do the same. Only thing that you can do is at home by setting in a pad. I do that myself for Good Wife.

Keep in mind NO ONE knows when the games will exactly wrap up until about 5-10 minutes before they do. I don't think there's enough time to disseminate the information from network to affiliate, affiliate to Tribune (guide providers), Tribune to Dish, and Dish to subscribers.

I thought I have heard the FCC was going to force affiliates to update PSIP "live", but I don't remember when that's supposed to take affect, or if it's only certain market size, or got killed altogether.
"Live" PSIP is a misnomer. The ball games are live events. Unless you have a time machine to be able to know exactly when the game is finished and event is over. The Program System Information Protocol from the nets doesn't even know the answer. It would have to be instantaneous updates. In a TV station a master control op has a cue channel from the net to tell him what is going to be happening from them. Even that is wrong sometimes so the announcers do what is known as "fill" in the industry. It is a CYA time so that times can hit closer to correct at the affiliates. What's really funny to those of us that have been in the biz is to see it hit the air. In some stations that happening is cause for termination. Stations that carry news afterward literally have the news crew on set at the "normal" time and they wait just like all the rest of us. So as soon as the cue comes down the set is informed. Then it is still a waiting game for the national to turn it over to local.

"Live" PSIP is a misnomer. The ball games are live events. Unless you have a time machine to be able to know exactly when the game is finished and event is over. The Program System Information Protocol from the nets doesn't even know the answer. It would have to be instantaneous updates. In a TV station a master control op has a cue channel from the net to tell him what is going to be happening from them. Even that is wrong sometimes so the announcers do what is known as "fill" in the industry. It is a CYA time so that times can hit closer to correct at the affiliates. What's really funny to those of us that have been in the biz is to see it hit the air. In some stations that happening is cause for termination. Stations that carry news afterward literally have the news crew on set at the "normal" time and they wait just like all the rest of us. So as soon as the cue comes down the set is informed. Then it is still a waiting game for the national to turn it over to local.
I think you missed my point. At one time the FCC had passed a rule that stations had to keep their PSIP up to "time" (I think for every 15 minutes). So if a game ran until 7:10, if you looked at the PSIP at 7:05, it would say "ballgame". If the game ended at 7:02 or 7:03, they wouldn't have to change. That's what I remember. Obviously stations aren't doing that. The technology IS available though. I just don't know if the FCC changed their ruling, or if it's only supposed to be certain market sizes, or the rule is in place but the FCC isn't enforcing it.

Now, even if stations DID update their PSIP, that still wouldn't help Dish subscribers because updating PSIP wouldn't update Tribune, and heaven forbid PSIP be used in a Dish receiver.

And for the record... if a newscast followed a ballgame, a smart crew would look at how much time was left in the game before going out to the set. If there's still 10 minutes of game time left and the news is supposed to hit in 5, there's no sense waiting on the set.

Now, even if stations DID update their PSIP, that still wouldn't help Dish subscribers because updating PSIP wouldn't update Tribune, and heaven forbid PSIP be used in a Dish receiver.
Not quite sure how that would work because a few years ago the engineer at one of my local stations told me after I emailed about what was aired being different from what the PSIP said would be on that they use Tribune info to update their PSIP.

Not quite sure how that would work because a few years ago the engineer at one of my local stations told me after I emailed about what was aired being different from what the PSIP said would be on that they use Tribune info to update their PSIP.
That's the "automatic" system. Someone at the station sends the info to Tribune, then the station receives the info and places it into PSIP. BUT, there *IS* technology that allows a "manual overwrite" of the PSIP data. That doesn't mean every station has the technology installed or uses it, but it is available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)