Sunday Ticket on Voom?

SaintsFan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 5, 2004
I called Voom last night to confirm my uninstall date and they asked me again why I was leaving Voom and when I mentioned "to get the Sunday Ticket" the csr responded that Voom was in negotiations to acquire ST and that it was not exclusive to Direct TV. That has to be a load of crap right? I think the csr was just trying to get me stay with Voom. It makes sense because thats just more profit for the NFL but do you think there is any truth to what he was saying. :

My understanding is that the contract is exclusive through 2006.... no other sat carriers are allowed to have it.

Sunday Ticket is in SD and that is what Direct has the contract for. All HD programming is up for grabs to my understanding......

Holy $hi#!!! This is huge. I'm calling right now! I'll let you know if the CSR tells me the same thing.

No go.
The CSR I got asked her supervisor and gave me this spiel about how "We're looking to add all channels that our customers want so stay tuned" Blah Blah Blah.
Translation: No Sunday Ticket for us.

Saintsfan that CSR must have just been instructed to tell a cancelling customer we're going to add whatever their looking for.

My Sunday Ticket is in HD for all of the games that CBS and Fox carry in HD, all the rest are in SD. My understanding is D* is the exclusive provider through 2006 and the exclusive Sat provider through 2007.

gary in daytona said:
Sunday Ticket is in SD and that is what Direct has the contract for. All HD programming is up for grabs to my understanding......

No,Sunday Ticket is showing HD games on D*, about 4 a sunday,rights pop up for the 2007 season,and don't bet on D* letting go of it that easy,you know DirecTV,Fox TV,20th Century Fox,Newscorp,USA Today,Sky TV,lot of money in that company.

bruce said:
No,Sunday Ticket is showing HD games on D*, about 4 a sunday,rights pop up for the 2007 season,and don't bet on D* letting go of it that easy,you know DirecTV,Fox TV,20th Century Fox,Newscorp,USA Today,Sky TV,lot of money in that company.

While it is true that D* is showing some of them in HD, it could all depend on the "legalese" contained in the contracts. There could be the "Sunday Ticket" product and then a new "Sunday Ticket in HD" product could be developed. D* could have exclusive use of the 1st but the 2nd could be a new product available to be sold to anyone as long as it is in HD.

All depends. Of course, it could be a confused csr mispeaking as well.

dgordo said:
To anyone who thinks Voom will have ST anytime in the next 2 years: Who wants to buy a bridge I own?

Yah I agree. If you think V* with 30,000 subs is getting NFLST the first step is admiting the problem.... :yes :D

Never happening ever ever ever. I with it could but nope.

I have Sunday Ticket on D* and let me tell you the HD quality is poor. Some of it looks like Fox's wide screen digital. I don't know what D* did compression-wise but when I turn to my OTA game it is much better. For my money VOOM has the best PQ in movies & sports.

Tvlman said:
I have Sunday Ticket on D* and let me tell you the HD quality is poor. Some of it looks like Fox's wide screen digital. I don't know what D* did compression-wise but when I turn to my OTA game it is much better. For my money VOOM has the best PQ in movies & sports.

I agree they have a better picture with D* compressing the heck out of it but what HD sports (and I mean major sports) does V* have D* doesn't??
i can't watch any regional fox or and ST's. :confused:

I'm sorry, but this NFL Sunday Ticket is a moot point in my book. Like most people, I follow only a handful of teams and could care less about the others. Plus, between CBS, FOX, ABC's Sunday Night Football and the occasional game on ESPN...how the hell does someone find time to watch so many games? Really! I'm lucky because I am pulling in programming from 4 DMAs and the regional games almost always offer a me a bonus game.

I love sports, but I'll be damned if I'll pay anyone, anything, to watch professional football. The large percentage of these thugs are nothing more than overpriced punks who have agents much smarter than they. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...

riffjim4069 said:
Plus, between CBS, FOX, ABC's Sunday Night Football and the occasional game on ESPN...how the hell does someone find time to watch so many games?

Couldn't agree with you more riffjim. Can we say COUCH POTATO :D

Its not that simple. I live in chicago but I am not a bears fan. The bears are almost always on fox. The team I like is also an NFC team and thus almost always on fox. If I ever want to watch any team other then the bears I have to have ST. This is what ST was made for. I understand ST is not for everyone, but it is perfect for me.

r.jones1116 said:
Couldn't agree with you more riffjim. Can we say COUCH POTATO :D

Guys spending their time in a forum DISCUSSING tv calling out somebody as a couch potato. TOO FUNNY!! :confused:

kfried001 said:
Direct just renewed their exclusive contract for another 5 years.

Sure they did, and pigs flew today....where do you get your false information??