Sunday ticket price increase!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

69Mustang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
This may have been discussed elsewhere but, wow, it's up to almost $280 for sd ST. I pasted most of their deal below. Oh yeah, they'll throw in 4 mo of free total choice programming.

Has anyone been charged for their Sunday ticket for renewal yet?

Offers end 9/26/06 and are available on approved credit. New lease customers only. Lease fee $4.99/mo. for second and each additional receiver.
*Actual number of games varies by market due to blackout rules and other conditions.
**Programming and DVR service commitments required.
***American Customer Satisfaction Index, University of Michigan Business School.
†Eligibility based on service address.
††Professional Installation highly recommended. Land-based phone line connection REQUIRED.
†††NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscription required to order NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan.
INSTALLATION: Complex/custom installation extra. PROGRAMMING OFFER: 2006 NFL SUNDAY TICKET billed in four monthly installments of $69.99 each. In fifth month, TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER package will continue at the regular charge ($99.99/month) and DIRECTV HD Package will continue at $9.99/mo. In certain markets, programming/pricing may vary. NFL SUNDAY TICKET automatically continues at a special rate, unless customer calls to cancel prior to start of season. NFL SUNDAY TICKET consists of all regular-season Sunday games broadcast on FOX and CBS at 1 pm and 4 pm EST. Games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS affiliate not included.

I think that is for new customers. Even if it is the new deal its not bad. $280 for almost $560 worth of programming.

bgilga said:
I think that is for new customers. Even if it is the new deal its not bad. $280 for almost $560 worth of programming.
Something doesn't sound right, I got thier best deal of the year due to having ST last year and it was $ 209.

It's listed on thier site right now at 5 payments of $ 45.80 that equals $ 229.

I would call again and check with the CSR that answers the phone.

Jimbo

Even at $280 for a season, that is a great deal for all those games, for all those teams, for you and all your friends to sit in the air conditioning and watch the NFL as opposed to one seat, at eight games all year, for one team, at about $500 for the season of cheap crap seats.

Yea, it's $280 for 4 months of Premier for *free* plus Sunday Ticket.

Sunday Ticket - $229
Premier for 4 months - $400 (99 a month)
Total price = $629

This is the new customer deal they have every year. You could always just start up with the lowest TC package for what, about $50 a month now and then add in $229 for Sunday Ticket. But then that's more money. ;)

Sunday Ticket auto-renewal is $209 this year.

Has anyone with ST auto-renew seen a charge on their billing yet? And at what amount?

I've noticed that there was a post for super fan on my acct. at no cost but did not see a post or a charge for sunday ticket. Just wondering what anyone else with ST has seen on their bills. Just seemed odd.

Wait a second!!!!

charper1 said:
Even at $280 for a season, that is a great deal for all those games, for all those teams, for you and all your friends to sit in the air conditioning and watch the NFL as opposed to one seat, at eight games all year, for one team, at about $500 for the season of cheap crap seats.

Sorry, but that is rationalizing if I've ever heard it. You can go to your local bar with satellite dishes and watch the games for free (maybe you will buy a few beers). Also, you can see all of the local games on network tv for free at home.

Finally, you can't compare watching a game in person to watching it on television. I'm sorry. There are some nice things about the convenience of sitting in your living room. BUT, being at the game is a whole different level of excitement and fun. If you don't think so, perhaps you cheer for the wrong team. There is nothing like going to see the Chicago Bears in person - tailgating before the game, hearing the roar of the crowd and the echo of the loud speaker. It just blows away the commercialization of the game on television.

With that said, I'm still going to pay my money for the Sunday ticket.;)

" Finally, you can't compare watching a game in person to watching it on television. I'm sorry. There are some nice things about the convenience of sitting in your living room. BUT, being at the game is a whole different level of excitement and fun. If you don't think so, perhaps you cheer for the wrong team. There is nothing like going to see the Chicago Bears in person - tailgating before the game, hearing the roar of the crowd and the echo of the loud speaker. It just blows away the commercialization of the game on television.

With that said, I'm still going to pay my money for the Sunday ticket.;)[/QUOTE] "

Down here in South Florida it cost $25.00 just to park in the stadium lot, which seems like a mile away, Tickets ( nose bleeds )/Beer/Food and your at a $100.00 easily- I like it much better at home in the A/C on a big screen- Not having to fight traffic comming or going. just my opinion though.:cool:

cohenri said:
Sorry, but that is rationalizing if I've ever heard it. You can go to your local bar with satellite dishes and watch the games for free (maybe you will buy a few beers). Also, you can see all of the local games on network tv for free at home.

Finally, you can't compare watching a game in person to watching it on television. I'm sorry. There are some nice things about the convenience of sitting in your living room. BUT, being at the game is a whole different level of excitement and fun. If you don't think so, perhaps you cheer for the wrong team. There is nothing like going to see the Chicago Bears in person - tailgating before the game, hearing the roar of the crowd and the echo of the loud speaker. It just blows away the commercialization of the game on television.

With that said, I'm still going to pay my money for the Sunday ticket.;)

That was my exact point, not sure what your is; or how we are different? I agree you can't beat a live game experience, BUT we are only talking about the cost for what you get from the NFL ST; and it is more than a great value.

Directtv doesn't give great values

On anything. Let's not kiss up to DTV too much around here. I mean, really, are some of you guys on their payroll?

The amazing amount...

of PR-type Directtv support on this site. Just look at this thread. I mean, some of these people could be working for DTV's marketing department. $220 for a full season of games might sound good, but even if you could watch two games a day, that's still $7 a game. And don't compare it to going to a game. A stadium only seats about 70,000 people, and NFL tickets are relatively cheap compared to basketball and football. DTV's audience and "seating capacity" is virtually unlimited.

$220 for a season is a lot of money for most people.

That's why TV and especially premiums and sports packs are LUXURY items, if you can't afford it, move along. The NFL ST is a relative value, but to look at it your way, it also can afford a family of 4 a much cheaper way to see their favorite out of market games beyond their locally offered team (live or on TV) that they might not otherwise be able to do. Some of you people need to just grow up and stop complaining about companies trying to make money, if you don't like it, vote with your wallets and don't buy the package.

69Mustang said:
Has anyone with ST auto-renew seen a charge on their billing yet? And at what amount?

I've noticed that there was a post for super fan on my acct. at no cost but did not see a post or a charge for sunday ticket. Just wondering what anyone else with ST has seen on their bills. Just seemed odd.

My credit card was charged yesterday, for the first installment.

I'm not complaining about them making money. I'm complaining about people thinking that DTV cares about giving anyone good value.

Oh, and by the way, last time I checked, Directtv had a monopoly on Sunday Ticket. So voting is not allowed. It's take it or leave it. I don't think there's ever value, relative or otherwise, in those situations.

Last edited:
I'm not complaining about them making money. I'm complaining about people thinking that DTV cares about giving anyone good value. Oh, and by the way, last time I checked, Directtv had a monopoly on Sunday Ticket. So voting is not allowed. It's take it or leave it. I don't think there's ever value, relative or otherwise, in those situations.

Sure there is; there is always an available vote; just vote no with your wallet to DirecTV NFL ST and watch ONLY whats on your local playing field, your local affiliate, ESPN, or the sports bar. Then, if enough people feel the same exact way as you do, that the NFL package is of no value, then its subscription rate should plummet, and then DirecTV & the NFL will have to re-examine their current position on how it is priced, or maybe the NFL will re-examine the current favoring toward exclusive distribution arrangements for their ST package. The truth will be told that way; so you do have a vote. What I think happens is once people really understand what is offered, they begin to see the value. NOW, that being said, I will agree that I too would LOVE to see it opened up to all providers.

Last edited:
davetroy said:
I'm not complaining about them making money. I'm complaining about people thinking that DTV cares about giving anyone good value.

Oh, and by the way, last time I checked, Directtv had a monopoly on Sunday Ticket. So voting is not allowed. It's take it or leave it. I don't think there's ever value, relative or otherwise, in those situations.
Nobody LIKES thier programming cost going up either. Most times price changes are not real drastic so most accept it.

If you don't want the ST, thats simple, don't sign up, save your money and go to the bar to watch the few games available.

I perfer to be able to watch my games and then scan the others...

Jimbo

You make some good points, but...

charper1 said:
Sure there is; there is always an available vote; just vote no with your wallet to DirecTV NFL ST and watch ONLY whats on your local playing field, your local affiliate, ESPN, or the sports bar. Then, if enough people feel the same exact way as you do, that the NFL package is of no value, then its subscription rate should plummet, and then DirecTV & the NFL will have to re-examine their current position on how it is priced, or maybe the NFL will re-examine the current favoring toward exclusive distribution arrangements for their ST package. The truth will be told that way; so you do have a vote. What I think happens is once people really understand what is offered, they begin to see the value. NOW, that being said, I will agree that I too would LOVE to see it opened up to all providers.

Sunday Ticket at home is a good value relative to the cost of going out to a bar to watch the games. However, Sunday Ticket is far more expensive than the baseball, basketball or hockey packages, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with 1.) Demand; 2.) The monopoly on NFL games. I'm probably like most Sunday Ticket subscribers: I hate the price, hate the DTV monopoly, wish there was a choice, but I want to see Giants games, so I'm willing to be held up. In my opinion, DTV, as always, takes advantage of its subscribers. Somebody up there definitely doesn't love me, but they love taking advantage because they can. I'm going to guess that Sunday Ticket is DTV's cash cow and the only reason they have many of their subscribers (because other than Sunday Ticket, they have very little to offer, in addition to the world's worst customer service).

davetroy said:
Sunday Ticket at home is a good value relative to the cost of going out to a bar to watch the games. However, Sunday Ticket is far more expensive than the baseball, basketball or hockey packages, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with 1.) Demand; 2.) The monopoly on NFL games. I'm probably like most Sunday Ticket subscribers: I hate the price, hate the DTV monopoly, wish there was a choice, but I want to see Giants games, so I'm willing to be held up. In my opinion, DTV, as always, takes advantage of its subscribers. Somebody up there definitely doesn't love me, but they love taking advantage because they can. I'm going to guess that Sunday Ticket is DTV's cash cow and the only reason they have many of their subscribers (because other than Sunday Ticket, they have very little to offer, in addition to the world's worst customer service).
Outside of the ST D* is basically the same as DISH.
They both offer the same programming (outside of the ST) it's pretty much the same.

JImbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)