sunday ticket question, If directv doesnt offer locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

diat150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Louisiana
in my area, but the local station shows the local games, will it be blacked out on sunday ticket?

My guess is that the games will be blacked out on the Sunday Ticket. It doesn't seem to matter to sports teams if you can actually receive a "local" broadcast. They will black out the subscription game in their entire protected area unless they are providing it.

My baseball example is the Devil Rays. Most of their local broadcasting is OTA other than an RSN. I am 100+ miles from Tampa and have no way of picking that station up, but the MLB EI games are still blacked out. The only time I can see a TB game is if they are on a Florida RSN, which isn't all that often. The non-sensical part of all this is that MLB blackout rules effectively prevent me from seeing my "local" team most of the time despite being an EI subscriber. It is blackout rules run amok.

My guess is that the games will be blacked out on the Sunday Ticket. It doesn't seem to matter to sports teams if you can actually receive a "local" broadcast. They will black out the subscription game in their entire protected area unless they are providing it.

My baseball example is the Devil Rays. Most of their local broadcasting is OTA other than an RSN. I am 100+ miles from Tampa and have no way of picking that station up, but the MLB EI games are still blacked out. The only time I can see a TB game is if they are on a Florida RSN, which isn't all that often. The non-sensical part of all this is that MLB blackout rules effectively prevent me from seeing my "local" team most of the time despite being an EI subscriber. It is blackout rules run amok.
I'm think this is true as well. Just because D* doesn't have your locals ,Doesn't mean your local area would change. I'm sure cable tv in your area has local channels as well as OTA.

I think you need to have your directv bill sent to a PO Box (or family or friend) in some other state. It's not like you actually need to see your bill anyway if you sign up for online billing.

Or forget Extra Innings since mlb.tv is GREAT! I can't say enough good things about the 700k feed this year. When I hook my laptop up to my tv in the living room, it's pretty close to same resolution as standard definition. I see every Phillies game (instead of only a few through EI). There are tricks to getting around blackouts.

In 2004 I found a handful of NFL Sunday Ticket games blacked out that were also carried by my local FOX, which is a low power Grade B broadcaster which means I have waivers for that network, for the first time since being a NFL-ST sub since 1998, unserviced with locals by DIRECTV in DMA #173. I called and asked about it and got a resounding, "I don't know", from the CSR. I noticed that it hasn't happened again since that Season.

I think you need to have your directv bill sent to a PO Box (or family or friend) in some other state. It's not like you actually need to see your bill anyway if you sign up for online billing.

Or forget Extra Innings since mlb.tv is GREAT! I can't say enough good things about the 700k feed this year. When I hook my laptop up to my tv in the living room, it's pretty close to same resolution as standard definition. I see every Phillies game (instead of only a few through EI). There are tricks to getting around blackouts.

so how does this work? just explain after I get service that I'm going to be working out of town but I want my family at home to still receive service but I'm going to be paying the bill in another state? so then the locals wouldn't be blocked out?

as per being blacked out I know in baltimore / philly MASN carries almost everyone of there games in the 600's for free.

in my area, but the local station shows the local games, will it be blacked out on sunday ticket?

Unfortunately, I believe it will be ... and my answer is based on my inquiry from four years ago (the 2003 season) when games broadcast locally were blacked on NFL:ST.

While I am fortunate to have locals (both SD and HD), a lot of areas do not. I remember asking something like, "So those without local channels available on [D*] would get the game on NFL:ST." The answer I got was no, because if they were within range of a local station, they would have to get the game OTA.

I suggest you contact D* so get your question answered.

good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts