SuperBowl... I hope this is wrong

joeylberry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
I live in a rural area of collin county 1st county north of dallas county... I was just told by a dishnetwork csr that they will not have the superbowl in hd. They are trying to get more channels added however fox is not one they will have in the next few days. Its starting to look like the big hd superbowl party that was planned (after getting the 811 and a new 51 inch philly) is not fall through I wish the money was not spent now.... sigh anyone else have info on this? ota is not an option for me... fox says dish gets a hd feed from them....

joeylberry said:
I live in a rural area of collin county 1st county north of dallas county... I was just told by a dishnetwork csr that they will not have the superbowl in hd. They are trying to get more channels added however fox is not one they will have in the next few days. Its starting to look like the big hd superbowl party that was planned (after getting the 811 and a new 51 inch philly) is not fall through I wish the money was not spent now.... sigh anyone else have info on this? ota is not an option for me... fox says dish gets a hd feed from them....
What is your zip code? Can you get any OTA digital stations with an antenna?

I am in the 75409 (texas) zip. I already spent the money putting a 14 foot violet ota on the house using a 10 foot pole.... no luck the fox tower is 60.2 miles away at 199 compass orientation from me..

joeylberry said:
I am in the 75409 (texas) zip. I already spent the money putting a 14 foot violet ota on the house using a 10 foot pole.... no luck the fox tower is 60.2 miles away at 199 compass orientation from me..
Tough luck. You really are out in the sticks. Looks like satellite is your only hope.

joeylberry said:

I am getting my locals from 65 miles away using a $25 uhf only antenna. Might be worth a shot. Good luck.

joeylberry said:

I am getting my locals from 65 miles away using a cheap $25 uhf only radioshack antenna. Might be worth a shot, good luck.

Got a Power Booster?

joeylberry said:
Probably with that antenna and a booster you would have the power to pull in that cherished station. We have one and can pull in stations from that distance all the time. Minneapolis is 50 miles with a 80+% reception, and EauClaire Wiscinsin is over 60 miles with a 70+%.
Good Luck: Sticking with Dish- Lyle :yes

Depends on how much oomph they are putting into the signal. Our local Fox channel is only transmitting at about 5000 watts. The station is about 50 miles away. No reception for me :mad:

joeylberry said:

I live between 60 & 65 miles from my local FOX broadcaster and I have no problem getting KLJB-FOX18 (from Davenport, IA) OTA digital or analog with my antenna with a 120-125 signal for this digital signal. "24" in HD is something special and I'm sure the Super Bowl will be also.

Maybe you should see about getting your antenna a bit higher. Also check out your location at AntennaWeb (www.antennaweb.org) to see what works best for your location.

Getting a decent OTA signal from 60 miles away should not be that much of a problem, with the proper antenna.

I also am able to receive other stations from 42.5mi & 65mi using the 21.95 Zenith Silver Sensor from VE. Before I got that antenna I used a roof mounted Channel Master 4228. If you have one of those monsters and can't pull a 500W station (I am sure you meant 500 & not 5000) I would be suprised.

well

I would love to get direct however I already have two accounts w/ dish because of the lame one year contracts... and because of the it market being flooded with ccna/mcse-sa/mcp boot camps my pay rate has not been all that great the past five years...
;)
o well with netflix a stream of 480p movies will keep me happy for now..

joeylberry,

The only reason you are not getting the Fox station out of Dallas right now is because your mast is not tall enough. The broadcast towers are in Duncanville, or around that area. So the signals have to get past downtown Dallas to get to Collin County. I know you mentioned the type of antenna but I can't remember what a violet one is, but if you used a "deep fringe" or "extreme deep fringe" antenna on a tall enough mast, you would definately get the digital signal. I live 120 miles east of Dallas, about 30-40 miles south of I-20 and I have an "extreme deep fringe" UHF only antenna with a Rat Shack signal amplifier, and I get the Fox station out of Dallas after dark on a lot of nights. They are broadcasting at a strong power. Hoefully, you can work on getting this set up before tommorow.

I am in Grayson county the next county north of you and have no problem picking up FOX 4 they broadcast on channel 35 UHF a channel master 4228 8 bay bow tie antenna works quite well for all Dallas channels except ABC the only one that uses a VHF channel. On Directv NBC,CBS and FOX are all available because they are O&O in Dallas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts