SUPERDISH, Apartment Install. Install Options

avex

Original poster
May 14, 2004
I got a superdish and landlord told me I can install it on the baloncy railing.
What kind of bolts should I buy and bolt up the superdish so it can be super stable and no fall. :) since thats dish is heavy. He told me i cannot use a tripod, concerate blocks, just u-bolts?? on the railing. any help?

that will be an issue, few questions, what kind of railing do you have? wood/metal? the biggest issue is going to be stabilizing the dish, with the Super Dish there are struts to keep it in place, securing those will be the issue

I would suggest a flat roof mount with cinder blocks or a large flower pot with about 200 lbs of cement and a fence post and stabilizing braces attached to the railing. Both of these will be non permanent and not harm your landlords building in case you have to move. Attaching a super dish to a railing will probably damage the railing to much weight and wind resistance.

I have a SuperDish mounted to the cinderblock on the side of the house. You really don't want to mount this thing on the railing. It's a very good windcatch.
As previously suggested, try planting it in a pot and securing the post to the railing with rods to stabilize the dish.

Another option is to have the SD mounted to a Dish tripod. Those are relative easy to aim. And after you have your AZ locked in, simply mark a chalk pattern around each leg, on the deck surface; this will ensure things can be easily maintained if somebody bumps or moves it

in my old apartment complex i saw a massive superdish mounted using ubolts that go around the balcony railing. it was big, and basically took up their whole balcony, but it stayed up for the 6 months i lived there.

Just give me a call. I've done dozens of custom balcony mounts.

But seriously, it does depend on the balcony type. If you balcony is flimsy, use a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement as the base. Make sure the pole in the cement is perfectly level. Then just use some long brackets and ubolts to fasten it to the railing for extra stability. Make sure you keep the pole as short as possible.

Pictures would help if you have any.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)