Superdish for Locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

matthewh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
About 5 months ago I hooked back up to DishNetwork. Got 2 receivers for 4 TV's. One with DVR. I got the package where we just rent all the equipment. Just love the DVR function. Anyway I want locals. My understanding was with our digital home advantage package they were supposed to be free if available and if not we would get the networks out of somewhere else free. I pay $81+ a month for top180/HBO/Cimax which I think is plenty of money. Called months ago complained and they supposeably turned on remote networks out of Denver for me and there was supposed to be no charge with my package. Problem is that the channels they said to go to just did not exist on my receivers. So called again now. Now they say I can get locals but I need a superdish to get them and it will be an additional 5-6$ a month for locals. Also, to get a superdish installed for free I must commit to a year of service.

Well I actually love my DVR and all the channels but am sick of this crap so I do not want to commit to a another year. Can I just buy a Superdish off ebay and install it myself and hook it to my receivers and add locals without commiting to the year? I work as a electronics tech and have access to RG-6 and connectors at work and have worked with it many times before and helped install a few dish systems but not superdish.

1. So how hard is hooking up a superdish?

2. Will my receivers just plug right into the Superdish switch?

3. After installing it my self will I just be able to add locals for the $6?

4. What other advantages does the superdish have? Less rainfade?

Thanks.

Matthew

Wlcome Matthewh!
Are you sure your locals aren't included in the price? It should be 49.99 for AT180 + locals

matthewh said:
1. So how hard is hooking up a superdish?
There are 2 Superdishes. 105 & 121. Depending on what locals you would get, thats which SD you would need. The Superdish can be a bugger to install if you don't know what you're doing. Dish500 is much easier in my mind, becasue its 2 high powered satellites. The 105 & 121 slots are much lowered power and take more precise aiming.
2. Will my receivers just plug right into the Superdish switch?
Unless you have an old receievr, you should be OK. 3 digit receivers will work no problem (311, 522, etc)
3. After installing it my self will I just be able to add locals for the $6?
again, I would check the invocie. If they are not included, yes, you can add then for 5.99
4. What other advantages does the superdish have? Less rainfade?
There might be less rainfade. The larger the dish, the less rain fade you could have (if its properly aimed)

Did locals just become available in your area?

Does anybody know can he add a SD without a commit? Anyone on the DHA plan add a SD for locals with no commit? (I own my equipment so I don't know) :)

DHA customers are already paying for the locals whether they can get them or not. Your bill will not go up any, but you will have to sign the 1 year commit to get the SD installed for free. Also, all DHA account receivers are DP, so you will not have any problems. The only promo that allows legacy receivers is the Free For All, and it only allows the 3900 or 4900. Your distant networks are not included for free if your locals are not available. This is incorrect info. As for rain fade, the SD is not the best design, and your signal strenght may actually go down. A lot of it depends upon the installer. Personally, I would keep my Dish500 and use the SD for the FSS sat by itself.

>>"DHA customers are already paying for the locals whether they can get them or not. Your bill will not go up any,"

So if I buy and install the Superdish 105 myself I can ask them to turn on local networks for Topeka and it should cost me nothing and no additional commit? Thats what I want.

Matthew

I just called Dishnetwork. They state I cannot install this myself. They say a certified installer must install it and when complete call them with activation code to enable the super dish in there system before they can turn on locals for me.

Is this true? Any work around?

Matthew

yep
Buy a Superdish off Ebay and hook it up. Once its working, call and activate your locals.
Tell them you have a "Superdish Equivalent" and you should be OK

Note that Dish won't give you any support....but that's what we're here for :)

Heck, you might even be able to add them from Dish's site under your account.

Got money order in mail for superdish. Instead of screwing to my deck again I want to put a pole with cement in the ground. Will the superdish point in same general direction as standard dish? I would think so. What size outer diameter pipe do I need to mount the superdish on? Can I download manual anywhere?

Matthw

It depends on which version of the superdish you get. Type 1 uses a 2" OD pipe, Type 2 (the much better and more rare dish) uses 2 3/8" OD pipe. The type 1 is not that bad except it uses metric tools and is metal instead of composite fiber.

Also when you go to point the beast, it will look more east than the DISH 500. Make sure your pole is perfectly plumb. The current 105 is soooo sensitive a fraction of an inch and it's in or out. Right now as far as signal goes look for anything above 60. Peak on TP2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts