Superdish installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeff924

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
I switched from Directv to have the international programming package Dish has. Dish network came to my house to installed the system yesterday. The installer spent 4 hours to put the superdish on the lower edge of the roof and setup 522 and 811. I paid him $20 to remove the old Directv dish. He left the base there, said it's better to leave the base there instead of patching the hole. And also he put the multiswitch at the other side of roof edge instead of puting them inside. Last night I searched this group and googled the internet. I found many people said the superdish should not be installed on the roof, and all installers were already notified by Dish network. But my installer never mentioned anything about it and just went to roof directly. He also just used the roof kits from the superdish package, didn't add any tripod as mentioned by some people. The size of the superdish is much bigger than the my previous Directv's dish. now I start to worry about my installation.

The SuperDish can be installed on a roof just fine, done properly of course. The spec sheet says that it is required to withstand 100mph wind which equates to 200lbs of force applied to any direction to the end of the mast. On a roof it MUST be lagged into a joist and SHOULD have the additional support arms attached. The way it looks with these additional support Arms could very easily be mistaken for a TRIPOD mount. There are tons of Supers on roof tops out my way...we get a lot of high wind conditions and no one has lost one yet in my subdivision. However, I don't think this is very safe to the structure so I have mine pole mounted. My opinion is that pole mounting leaves a lot to be desired aesthetically. My pole mount is about 4 feet high and mounted 48" below grade backfilled with concrete. It still shimmy's pretty good on a windy day, though I haven't lost signal yet because of wind.

Again if it was mounted properly you shouldn't have any real concerns...Make sure it has the additional support arms...I can take a picture if you are not sure what I mean.

Jason

Jason. I don't know if the installer has put the arms you mentioned. I will take the pictures tomorrow to post here. Thanks!

jeff924 said:
I switched from Directv to have the international programming package Dish has. Dish network came to my house to installed the system yesterday. The installer spent 4 hours to put the superdish on the lower edge of the roof and setup 522 and 811. I paid him $20 to remove the old Directv dish. He left the base there, said it's better to leave the base there instead of patching the hole. And also he put the multiswitch at the other side of roof edge instead of puting them inside. Last night I searched this group and googled the internet. I found many people said the superdish should not be installed on the roof, and all installers were already notified by Dish network. But my installer never mentioned anything about it and just went to roof directly. He also just used the roof kits from the superdish package, didn't add any tripod as mentioned by some people. The size of the superdish is much bigger than the my previous Directv's dish. now I start to worry about my installation.
mine on roof all ok so far

trido

Could this be that the type 1 (steel) needs additional support but the type 2 (composite)doesn't? Mine is type 2, on the roof without support arms. I see this notation in the Superdish Install manual:
These instructions cover wall mounting only. For other mounting options (for example pole mounting, struts, non-penetrating mounting), see DNSC training material, which is also available on the retailer website.
(NOTE)
To meet requirements of withstanding 100 m.p.h. wind, attachement to a wall must withstand a 220 lb. force applied in any direction to the end of the mast.

Here is the superdish picture. It's very hard to get a clear picture because of the tree.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 386
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 334
jeff924 said:
Here is the superdish picture. It's very hard to get a clear picture because of the tree.
You do not have support arms...and as close to the edge of your roof as it is I'd worry about them not lagging to joists as well.

I will post a pic of support arms tonight, provided I get home before sunset.

Jason

Thanks, Jason. The installer looked kind of inexperience with Superdish. When I asked him how many superdishes :mad: he installed recently. He said 1 of 100.

I just called the installer and told him what I concerned about.

That what he told me: if we have wind more than 50 mph, your dish (even you have dish 500) will be ripped off. Why you worry about it, your insurance will pay for it. If you want additional arms, I will come to you house if I have free time later.

When I asked him why didn't tell me that and offer me a pole installation choice, he saild it would cost me additional $200 to do it.

I've got 2 30" dishes and a StarChoice 75e dish (37x27) with no brackets on the back and they've worked fine for over a year (except the SC..that's recently been aded)

You should be fine as long as it isnt a steel superdish :)

Here is a close look of the installation. Is it normal to install a dish very close to the edge of roof? My installer told me he wants as less as the wire laying on the roof. Since the installer didn't installed the arms, is it possilbe to add the arms at this location? or the dish has to be pulled out and installed in another location?

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 238
I can see from the Photos Jeff's SD is steel....The saftey requirements require withstanding a 100mph wind period. Not 50mph. This last summer we got hit by a microburst...I lost some siding, so did neighbors, some lost window screens and glass....No one lost a SuperDish. The support arms are required in my sub, as it is defined in the CCNR's.
This guy is full of it, tell him to install the support arms which he should have supplied. Pole mounting is the standard install method out here. If your using a E* contracted installer it wouldn't cost you a penny, but retailers are allowed to charge for the pole.

I will take a picture as soon as I can get home in daylight...I'll try in the morning.

Jason

Overall, the install looks pretty clean - except I don't see a ground wire for the dish itself. Maybe it's there, but I don't see it.

No way for any of us to know if the lag bolts on at least one side of the foot are in a joist or not.

The support arms can be bolted into the ends of the joists. Not ideal, tho. Of course, the fascia board alone is NOT to be used.

Trido, where is your switch installed. I am kind of disappointed the installed the switch outside ( bottom side of my roof edge and close to my window area, see one of my previous picture) when he could easily mount it inside. I didn't pay attention to it until he already finished because my previous Dish from Directv has built in switch. It doesn't look very neat with those wires outside the window, and I also worry about if the switch will drop someday in the future.

jeff924 said:
Trido, where is your switch installed. I am kind of disappointed the installed the switch outside ( bottom side of my roof edge and close to my window area, see one of my previous picture) when he could easily mount it inside. I didn't pay attention to it until he already finished because my previous Dish from Directv has built in switch. It doesn't look very neat with those wires outside the window, and I also worry about if the switch will drop someday in the future.
A big surprise to me he put it inside the cable tv box on side of house.

He took 30 minutes to BREAK into bo:mad:I need the tool they use to get in)

A bigger surprise a few days later Cable TV came out to disconnect their cable I watched as they got inside the box where he put my switch and said nothing and left it inside.

Unforutanetly cable guy locked box and if I need to get into box to get switch I need those cable tv tools .

Trido

As mentioned, my dish is on the roof, just down from the peak, with cables running into my garage (about a 35 foot run) where the switch is mounted inside right where my old DirecTV switch was at. They used this spot because:
1 - that is where my 119 lead came incase they needed it for 119
2 - routes to all 4 of my receivers started there and they could use the current RG59+ to pull the RG6. Saved alot of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)