SuperDish Legacy Hookup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

scottcorinna

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
West Linn, OR
If I only have one receiver being fed by a Superdish will I need an external switch?

I currently have 4 legacy receivers one of which will be replaced by the 921 when it becomes available.

My idea is to leave the other 3 on my switch64 until the receivers get replaced. That way I won't need to buy the Dishpro adaptor for each of them.

Does this make sense?

Thanks

The SuperDish uses Dishpro technology so it will not work with your SW-64 switch.

Your legacy receivers will need adapters to work with the Dispro technology and switches.

I am in the same boat as you and am actually thinking about when they come and put in my superdish to leave the existing dish alone and add the SuperDish to which I will hook up my Dishpro compatable equipment.

My wife may not like it but hey if I tell her we need all new recievers or to buy these adapters she will agree with me on the second dish. :)

The SuperDish uses Dishpro technology so it will not work with your SW-64 switch.

Your legacy receivers will need adapters to work with the Dispro technology and switches

While that $199 model 6000 is a decent deal... this is one draw-back with it.

6000 aint DISH Pro, it is legacy.

Oh man, this is bad news, there are a lot of customers with legacy receivers, maybe as many as half the customers if not more. So they are making the legacy receivers compatible with the SuperDish yet its still not exactly going to be compatible anyways until you pay for an expensive DishPro Adapter for each receiver in which costs almost as much as a new receiver, the last I heard.

I wonder if its possible to have one DishPro adapter built into a switch or placed before a switch in which then could be outputted to all the receivers in the home.

I also wonder if they are going to include the DishPro adapter in the free SuperDish upgrade promotion, because if they do not, then it will be very misleading saying that it is going to be free when they will charge for the DishPro adapters not telling them that they were required for the SuperDish to work.

Does the 6000 need a Dishpro adapter or not?

Scott Greczkowski said:
The 6000 is Psudeo Dishpro compatable with the 8PSK adapter. :)

It WILL work with the SuperDish.

My 6000 has the psk module. Does that mean I can connect it to Dishpro lnbs such as the Superdish will have without having to buy an adapter?

Re: Does the 6000 need a Dishpro adapter or not?

Forward said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
The 6000 is Psudeo Dishpro compatable with the 8PSK adapter. :)

It WILL work with the SuperDish.

My 6000 has the psk module. Does that mean I can connect it to Dishpro lnbs such as the Superdish will have without having to buy an adapter?

Your 6000 will need the $49.95 adapter to work with the SuperDish, as it is DishPro.

Everyone here is talking about the hardware properties of Superdish. No-one has mentioned "software." It is doubtful, that even with the DishPro adapter, many legacy receivers will not work with Superdish.

It might be the end of the line as for upgrades for certain legacy receivers.

Wait, I am confused... again. I thought the 6000 worked without an adapter as long as it had the 8psk module.
I think I am stuck like a lot of you. I have a 2900, 3900, 3500, 4500 and the 6000. I thought the 6000 was going to work without any changes though.

The Dishplayer(7100,7200) is not DishPro compatible. The 501DVR is DishPro compatible and is the current high end receiver. The 301 is entry level.

The 60008psk enabled is DishPro compatible and will be SuperDish enables.

It appears that any other previous receiver, although may be DishPro compatible with the DishPro adaptor, will be not software enabled for SuperDish.

The rule of thumb is that if your receiver number has only 3 digits, then it is DishPro compatible. If you have 4 digits in your receiver's model number, then it is legacy.

Mike500 said:
The Dishplayer(7100,7200) is not DishPro compatible. The 501DVR is DishPro compatible and is the current high end receiver. The 301 is entry level.

The 60008psk enabled is DishPro compatible and will be SuperDish enables.

It appears that any other previous receiver, although may be DishPro compatible with the DishPro adaptor, will be not software enabled for SuperDish.

Careful here Mike500, what you are saying is not correct. Maybe it is how you are saying it. Legacy receivers, such as the 6000 and there are a list of others, are DishPro campatible, but only via the legacy receiver power adapters. Add the adapter to a 6000 receiver, with or without an 8PSK module and it will work with DishPro LNBFs, without the adapter, it will not.

The 501/508/510/721 receivers are the current DVR receivers, all DishPro. The 811 and 921 will soon join the list of DVRs. The 301 is the current non-DVR receiver, soon to be joined by others, again Dishpro. All other receivers are considered legacy and will require an adapter to work with Dishpro. There may be some old receivers that will not work at all.

Now with that said, we are not real sure what all is going to take place with SuperDish, it remains to be seen. All current receivers and certainly the 6000 will be okay, past that, well let's wait and see. There is also something called DishPro Plus coming, again, lots of unknowns.

Hope this carifies.

Damn, it did it again. The above post was mine, but it showed up as guest instead, even though I was logged in. Just did not want to hide behind "guest" in case I said something wrong.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am in the same boat as you and am actually thinking about when they come and put in my superdish to leave the existing dish alone and add the SuperDish to which I will hook up my Dishpro compatable equipment.

My wife may not like it but hey if I tell her we need all new recievers or to buy these adapters she will agree with me on the second dish. :)

Scott - don't you already have two dishes - a 500 and one pointed at 61.5? What's the difference? :D

the 61.5 is on the roof of my house.

The only way for me to see 110/119/105/101 is cement a pole in the ground in the front yard, so this will be the second pole cemented in the ground in the front yard. :)

So does that mean your total will be three dishes after you get your new SuperDish? My wife doesn't even like the idea of two. We only have the Dish500 even though the one for 148 would be free. :(

Anyone thought of using the Toridal 90 from Wavefrontier? This dish supports a 40deg arc and could receive 105, 110, 119 and even the BEV satellites (82, 91) with one dish. Not enough range to also add the 61.5 or 148 sat. Unfortunately one would have to buy new LNBFs since the ones from Dish/DTV are not compatible. Granted it is more expensive but it would be an advantage if someone did not want a farm of dishes on the roof / front yard.

Ari.

Yes, I have looked at that. It has been reported elsewhere that they are notoriously difficult to set up and require special LNBs because of the double reflection. They advertise that it is capable of seeing 110, 119, and 148 but I don't think it could see from 148 to 105 even if the special LNB for 105 were available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)