Superdish problems

aqela

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Boonieville, Thumb Area, MI
Installers came by and tried to put in the superdish, but couldn't find anywhere to put it that would get adequate signal. My old 119 dish however, is mounted near the same location, has a 2x4 blocking it, and some trees, and still receives 99 signal. The super dish was then mounted much higher with a much much clearer LOS, and still got no 121 signal and only 50 on the 119 sat. Do you guys agree with me that it may be a dish problem and not a location problem?

It is possible that he could have placed the SuperDish in an area where the trees are blocking the signal more than the previous location but more than likely not. The 121 satellite itself should be easier to tune in when there are trees than 119, 110, 105, 101 because it is higher up in the sky. I would have them come back out and realign the dish to have it fine tuned.

Actually, Stargazer, 121 is actually LOWER in the sky from where he's at (Michigan). However, the difference between 119 & 121 from up there is negligible. In other words, you were A-OK on 119 from the old location, so 121 shouldn't be an issue.

Just for reference, here's numbers for Detroit:
121 (az229/el28)
119 (az227/el29)
110 (az217/el34)
I've got no clue where Boonieville, Thumb area is, but the numbers won't be far off.

He talks about a 2x4 in the way and such - it may not have been. Remember a Dish 500 does NOT look directly out from it's face - it's actually "cross-eyed".

SimpleSimon said:
Actually, Stargazer, 121 is actually LOWER in the sky from where he's at (Michigan). However, the difference between 119 & 121 from up there is negligible. In other words, you were A-OK on 119 from the old location, so 121 shouldn't be an issue.

Just for reference, here's numbers for Detroit:
121 (az229/el28)
119 (az227/el29)
110 (az217/el34)
I've got no clue where Boonieville, Thumb area is, but the numbers won't be far off.

He talks about a 2x4 in the way and such - it may not have been. Remember a Dish 500 does NOT look directly out from it's face - it's actually "cross-eyed".
There have been some problems with the metal Superdishes being warped, resulting in weak signals.

Harbor Beach is the actualy name of the town, Boonieville is my joke town. BTW, the superdish had MUCH better LoS than the old 119 sat does. It baffles me because more trees are in the way of the dish 300 signal than the SuperDish (which had almost no trees in its way). They said they'll come back and I asked if they were using the same dish, and they said it will probably be installed somewhere else by then. We'll see if it was a dish problem.

It was really late when I posted, you are right when you said that 121 is lower in the sky, it would actually be harder to get a signal from 121 than 119 but if he gets 119 he shoudl be able to get 121 as well unless he is borderline with getting a signal at 119.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts