SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Question: Can you walk into a dishnetwork retailer and purchase a
superdish and if so what is the price? I have seen some
on ebay but the guy who is selling them all will not ship
to canada<who knows why?> he is missing out on alot
of business. Any thoughts and who you would recommed
in the state of michagan or if you have a list of dealers.

Why would you want a Superdish? The only programming available on it are locals, and you won't receive a signal with the SuperDish in Canda. Not from the 105/121 sat anyway.

DCXFORDGM said:
I have seen some on ebay but the guy who is selling them all will not ship to canada
<who knows why?>
With SuperDishes in limited supply, there are plenty of Americans who can buy them. (Not to mention that you would be breaking Canadian law by subscribing to US Satellite TV.)

The only active content on the Superdish is all locals, and it is only rumored that anything else will appear. 105 doesn't reach Canada well, so if something appears there you will be out of the signal. Even Michigan is officially not in the SuperDish105 footprint. 121 reaches a little further (and you could get one of several Michigan TV markets - if you had your dish installed at an address in Michigan).

The only benefit to having SuperDish (unless needed for locals on 105 or 121) would be the resistance to rain fade. It does seem to perform better than a Dish500 on that mark. Then again, so do other replacement dishes.

JL

I believe there are quite a few international channels exclusive to the 121 bird, well at least thats what lyngsat states.

RogerDodger said:
I believe there are quite a few international channels exclusive to the 121 bird, well at least thats what lyngsat states.
None of them are available to subscribers, none of them were ever sold at 121, and all were recently returned to "Engineering" status which is one step away from saying goodbye. Lyngsat is out of date on that score.

It was part of the grand plan to move Internationals to SuperDish ... but plans change.

JL

In fact we can still use are usa satellite units/diretv and dish. I have both and it is not law as of yet that it is wrong, but another person who
posted hit it wright on the head. I am taking down MY 20INCH expressvu dish for nimiq1 and 2 and would like to use a superdish. I have a phaseIII
dish/dish 500/expressvu twin/starchoice/direcway and I just purchased
a voom unit. Call me crazy but I have alot of time to waste.

DCXFORDGM said:
In fact we can still use are usa satellite units/diretv and dish. I have both and it is not law as of yet that it is wrong

Umm..it IS against the law to have Dish &/or Direct in Canada...see this link...they arent going after people who already have it, you may not agree, but it is illegal.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3026

berg

Iceberg I can understand your surfing lifestyle but the fact is you do
not live hear and dealers are everywhere and it is allowed. If I want to watch tv from my homeland the canadian government does not stop you
, we have a multicultrual system, in the city of toronto and surrounding
area's there are more people from other country's then there are
canadians. The only company that is pushing for enforcement is expressvu because they are losing money to outside satellite providers.Our rules are alot different then yours in your country, we now even have expressvu dealers advertising that bell is better then directv or dish. Iceberg its more of a choice for me because I do not want to be
restricted.

DCXFORDGM said:
Iceberg I can understand your surfing lifestyle
I doubt you do.

but the fact is you do not live hear and dealers are everywhere and it is allowed.

oh, contrair monfrar...I live about 100 miles from the border

If I want to watch tv from my homeland the canadian government does not stop you, we have a multicultrual system, in the city of toronto and surrounding area's there are more people from other country's then there are
canadians.
I am fully aware of that. You will see below

The only company that is pushing for enforcement is expressvu because they are losing money to outside satellite providers.
What about StarChoice?? You dont think they are losing money?

Our rules are alot different then yours in your country, we now even have expressvu dealers advertising that bell is better then directv or dish. Iceberg its more of a choice for me because I do not want to be
restricted.

I'm just stating a fact. Technically, it is illegal to have Dish or Direct in Canada. You dont have to get your undies in a bunch. I personally have both Dish and ExpressVu. Am I breaking the law? kind of. Technically, Bell wont activate an account with a US address, so I have to take the gray route. I have a relative that lives outside of Thunder Bay. So if I really wanted to, I could use their address instead of the broker, but I prefer to do it that way (I don't trust my relative). I am registered on both digitalhomecanada under my real name and under canadian-tv under Iceberg. I personally like some of the Canadian rules. Things like you dont have to qualify for HD networks, major timeshifting opportunities due to no restrictions (thats the other reason I go through the broker...I would lose major timeshifting due to blackouts), don't need to order 4 movie channels to get the same on one movie channel. So please don't tell me I dont know what I am talking about.

Now I'm done venting...

Iceberg starchoice is making money with alot of new subsand the dsr-500,
mr shaw could not care less about the grey or black market. I have had directv since summer of 1995 and dish since fall of 1996 back then canadians were not hacking because it was free but because we could not
get the usa channels. People today are stealing simply put because they don't have to pay, example you and expressvu, now when the card swap comes you will be down most likely for a month. This is not going to go away on both sides of the border and know voom is being targeted here
in toronto. I am with you, I did at one point subscribe to directv from
ontario for 6 months but with it being very easy to override it I went back to black market.

DCXFORDGM said:
People today are stealing simply put because they don't have to pay, example you and expressvu, now when the card swap comes you will be down most likely for a month.
This is not going to go away on both sides of the border and know voom is being targeted here
in toronto. I am with you, I did at one point subscribe to directv from
ontario for 6 months but with it being very easy to override it I went back to black market.

Dude, we are not in the same boat. Unlike you, I do pay for my satellite programming.

Icedude I really doubt you are not stealing, who would pay alot more per
month threw a broker than a proper address in canada, it's a great story but it has holes and you are still stealing aleast that is what directv and dish would think or cable providers in there eyes and balance sheets. I started this thread on a proper topic until you changed it on your morals but look who's aquiring a signal. Anyway I am not going to speak about this anymore out of respect for us satelliteguys and I just purchased a
superdish here in richmondhill for 160.00 can.

yo yo whty good talking

DCXFORDGM said:
Icedude I really doubt you are not stealing, who would pay alot more per
month threw a broker than a proper address in canada, it's a great story but it has holes and you are still stealing aleast that is what directv and dish would think or cable providers in there eyes and balance sheets.
Sorry to burst your bubble, pirate, but I do pay through an address broker. I am a paying Bell customer (looking at my CC each month proves I am). Dish doesnt care if I have them, because I pay for Dish too. Cable couldnt gives a rats patoot because there is no cable in my area. So my only option is satellite.

I started this thread on a proper topic until you changed it on your morals but look who's aquiring a signal. Anyway I am not going to speak about this anymore out of respect for us satelliteguys and I just purchased a
superdish here in richmondhill for 160.00 can.

Its kinda funny you come after me after someone else posted the exact same thing (that it is illegal) before I did. You were the one who broke the forum rules (by saying you are black market subscriber) so who doesnt have respect for the forum?

You have fun with your SuperDish and I'll have fun with my ExpressVu.

Berg

I doubt it whiteey or small man, it takes a big man to admit he's wrong and you are small man. You keep saying its illegal in canada but that has
not been passed and until then we can aquire signal stupid. Please don't tell us in canada what is right or wrong with your views of what is going on here. As far as you stealing expressvu its legal to do that in the us but your story you could drive a truck threw it.

I have also something to say, you have been talking to my girl and she's hard to control, how does it feel to loose to a sister, keep that feeling.Times are a changing.

Guy this is a non hacking site, and it is also for the discussion of American DBS services for those in the US.

While I believe Americas should be able to subscribe to ExpressVu and Starchoice and Canadians should be able to order DirecTV and Dish Network this is not the place to dicuss legalities (or illegalities) of obtaining these services.

Besides why would you want a SuperDISH up north when the signal does not even reach up there. :)

For now this one is closed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)