Superdish update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am receiving word from a few of my contacts that they have received or will be receiving their own SuperDish for use at home.

It appears that the SuperDish is on schedule and will meet its rollout schedule!

So, can these "contacts" self-install, or do they have to call out Dish to come mess around on their property?

Looks like they are self installing them! :)

I am actually writing up a SuperDish installation guide for the SuperDish which I will be posting here to SatelliteGuys soon. :)

So can we already order the Superdish?

Has anyone had a CSR actually process such an order yet? After much hemming and hawing, I've pretty much decided to upgrade to Superdish, but I'd still much rather install it myself unless I'm just not capable of it.

And even assuming that we are technically capable of self-installing (and I know many of us are, or would be with the kind of guide you're developing) will Dish sell them to us without requiring the "pro" install? Subsidiary question -- will they still sell them to us as part of the free (with locals or HD Pak) upgrade package? I know some of these questions probably can't be answered yet, but I'd appreciate any insights.

And as long as we're on the topic, I have a simple question: Right now I only need to feed two receivers, but at some point (probably when there's a second generation, preferably better featured and less expensive 921) I could see needing to feed three tuners. How many cables from the Superdish to the house will I need now, and how many will I need then? Am I correct in assuming a switch inside the house will allow me to add a tuner without adding extra cables from the Superdish?

Am I correct in assuming a switch inside the house will allow me to add a tuner without adding extra cables from the Superdish?

As I understand it, the SuperDish will come with a DP34 switch. This switch will be a REQUIREMENT for all installs - even a single receiver. There are three separate LNBF's on the SuperDish. You will need three cables from the SuperDish to the DP34 switch location (preferably inside). From there, you will need one cable to each tuner (ie. 2 cables for 522, 721, or 921).

You can then easily stack multiple DP34's together (via dedicated cascade ports) to feed 8 (with two DP34's) or even up to 12 tuners (with three DP34s).

In the future, the DP34 can be replaced with the DP+44, which will enable you to add another orbital location (61.5, 148, or 121), and will also allow you to use a single cable to feed a two-tuner receiver, with an adapter connected to the receiver.

In short, to future-proof your installation, I'd plan to locate the switch(es) in a central location, indoors, and run four cables out to your SuperDish (three for use now, one more for a future second dish).

Superdish Install Questions

I am currently running a model 6000u/8vsb, and 721 I have 3 rg-6 lines running to the receivers. What additional equipment will I require? The DNSC in this area are not the swiftest around So I am starting my research before the nov 1 deal begins.

RC

Scott Greczkowski said:
You will need a Dishpro adapter for the 6000.

That should be about it. :)

If you get the super dish upgrade do they include legacy adapters? People are going to be upset to have to pay $$ for every reciever for their "free" super dish upgrade.

Scott Greczkowski said:
It appears that the SuperDish is on schedule and will meet its rollout schedule!

Ummm, what, exactly is its rollout schedule?

I took my dishes down while my house was remodelled. We've moved back in, but only have the Dish 500 temporarily stuck on a fence post. 'wondering if it makes sense to permanently install the '500, and set up the 61.5 dish (a real pain, with an 11 degree elevation), or wait for the superdish.

Many customers may have switched to DirecTv if they would have not had a delay in the satellite launch with the requirement to have a DishPro adapter for every receiver to get their locals until the DP-44 switch comes out next year, but because of DirecTv's delay the switch that will have the DishPro adapter built in (DP-44) will probably be out by then. Until then people may get upset and go back to cable or go to DirecTv and wait for them to add the locals not knowing that another solution is coming out next year. This is why they need to have a legacy solution as well.

So, for a 921, 721 and a 301, I will need a extra DP34 switch if my thinking is straight.

Man, its really too bad that DP44 isn't ready. It would have been nice to diplex a single run to the 921 and 721.:)

I wonder if they are going to include the DP44 with the SuperDish next year or make you purchase it seperately. If they did make you purchase it seperately I would hope that they would at least let you pay the difference between a DP34 and DP44 switches.

just got off the phone w/ dish, spoke w/ someone who knew something. they are offering superdish to customers who need it for the near future. ie, superdish local customers until add'l programming is on the birds.

They are offering it to anyone that takes the locals or HD programming in which the SuperDish is required to receive it starting Nov. 1st if they take the AT50 or higher and your local channel package or $9.99 HD package for 12 months.

Today I was told that the SuperDish has been delayed until mid-Nov for the 5 cities requiring the locals. No info on general availability for HD or other services.

It is making me want to switch to Voom (if I didn't want a 921 so darn bad) and I would keep both, except I need the 61.5 dish for Dish until SuperDish. I think it is a conspiracy in my own mind (a conspiracy preventing me from dropping another grand on a third DBS provider) :)

Let me guess, they told you Nov.16th. I have read where someone else was told this same thing but by a CSR when they called in asking about this.

Other information has led to Nov.1st as the date of rollout for these local cities. Do you have any information on this Scott G?

Sorry, said 15 Nov for 5 cities (delayed 2+ weeks) and no date in sight for general availability.

Scott,

Is it possible for you to get some definitive information from Dish on exactly what the problems are and what corrective actions are being taken with Superdish and the 921? Basically ask the to come clean with their subscribers. I feel like a puppy being lead by a ring in my nose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)