SuperDish Woes

n9xcr

Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
My wife and I purchased our first home last November. We had SuperDish at the apartment we were renting, so I called Dish Network to have them install another one at the new place.

The installer showed up a couple hours early and I wasn't here yet. He called me cell phone to tell me he couldn't install the dish because there were too many trees in the way. He also told me I could get a second opinion, so I requested one. Another guy came out the following weekend and said the same thing, without even looking in the backyard. There is a nice-sized clearing in the trees that would accomodate if the dish was mounted on a pole. The installer left and I ended up purchasing a Dish on eBay. :(

I finally got the dish installed this past week. It took me a while to get it to the point of receiving 110, but I was able to do it after reading tips offered in other threads. It's receiving 110 with a signal strength of about 58-60. I know that's not great, but that's the best I can do with it on my roof. The strange part is that 119 and 121 aren't coming in at all. Could it be that I put my dish in just the right spot that just those two are getting blocked by a tree?

I have an antenna tower I'm going to put up at the back of my property. Hopefully that will solve everything. I just wanted to get the dish receiving something in the meantime, even if it meant the signal easily dropping out during rain.

I've read that the SuperDish is REAL touchy. Is that true? Is there a better dish I could use to receive 110, 119, and 121? I'm kinda getting sick of di**ing around with this thing. I just want it to work. lol

Thanks,
Chris

<It's receiving 110 with a signal strength of about 58-60.>

=====> Maybe that's why they didn't put it in.

<Could it be that I put my dish in just the right spot that just those two are getting blocked by a tree?>

=====> There's no way to know without being there, but yes it is possible. post a picture.

I've read that the SuperDish is REAL touchy. Is that true?

=====> No

Is there a better dish I could use to receive 110, 119, and 121?

=====> No

I'm kinda getting sick of di**ing around with this thing. I just want it to work.

=====> Why don't you find a local retailer and go talk to them. Let someone that knows what they're doing aim it in for you. You'll be di**ing around with it for days.

I think calling a local installer, like you said, is going to be the best way to go. The thing that really irritates me about the whole thing is that I drive past many houses each day that have satellite dishes pointed at tall forests that can't be more than 30 feet from the dish. I can't imagine those dishes are there for decoration.

n9xcr said:
My wife and I purchased our first home last November. We had SuperDish at the apartment we were renting, so I called Dish Network to have them install another one at the new place.

The installer showed up a couple hours early and I wasn't here yet. He called me cell phone to tell me he couldn't install the dish because there were too many trees in the way. He also told me I could get a second opinion, so I requested one. Another guy came out the following weekend and said the same thing, without even looking in the backyard. There is a nice-sized clearing in the trees that would accomodate if the dish was mounted on a pole. The installer left and I ended up purchasing a Dish on eBay. :(

I finally got the dish installed this past week. It took me a while to get it to the point of receiving 110, but I was able to do it after reading tips offered in other threads. It's receiving 110 with a signal strength of about 58-60. I know that's not great, but that's the best I can do with it on my roof. The strange part is that 119 and 121 aren't coming in at all. Could it be that I put my dish in just the right spot that just those two are getting blocked by a tree?

I have an antenna tower I'm going to put up at the back of my property. Hopefully that will solve everything. I just wanted to get the dish receiving something in the meantime, even if it meant the signal easily dropping out during rain.

I've read that the SuperDish is REAL touchy. Is that true? Is there a better dish I could use to receive 110, 119, and 121? I'm kinda getting sick of di**ing around with this thing. I just want it to work. lol

Thanks,
Chris

In reading the before and after it appears as though the techs were correct..you have tree issues..that is most likely why you are not getting all sats and your 110 is weak...
It's tough but some locales are just not getting digital satellite due to obstructions..Hope you didn't spend too much on that dish and other EQ..
Note.....any tech worth his salt can usually tell if there i seven a glimmer of hope to get a line of sight..I hate tree outs SO I exhaust every possibility on the property and structure...There have been a few times when a mount high up on a very steep roof will work but since I do not own any of the type of safety gear to work in such a place I don't do the install.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts