Suprise. Dish is giving me Eastern Arc in Atlanta

kkirts

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
New Dish Network Subscriber here. I am very tired of paying Comcast more money for what appears to be less service. Scheduled the Dish install appointment for today between 12-5. Tech showed up about 1:00 pm. He basically said "No line of sight for 110/119. We are going to put you on a new satellite over there. Are you ok with not having PBS and Peachtree TV (two locals) for about a month?" I said, "No problem, I didn't know you could put me on the Eastern Arc in Atlanta." He said, "It is not officially released, but if we don't have LOS, we can get it approved." He called in a work order change to Dish Network, but he didn't have a 1000.4 dish on his truck. Re-scheduled Eastern Arc install for 8-12 on Monday morning.

I just wanted people to know if they don't have a LOS on 110/119 that Dish will install on the new Eastern Arc in the Atlanta area.

This is good news. It'll be even better news when they can send trucks out with 1000.4 dishes on board "just in case."

He did say he is a "new Dish subscriber".

No hope for the rest of us.............yet.

I would like to take a moment to point out that there's no promise that any more locals will be available any time soon. In fact, the technician performed an invalid modification and are abusing the system to get the installations performed.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for new customers, but not if the system doesn't support your location. Per corporate (as of right now...) he should not have performed the installation. In fact, there's been no timeline released for future local launches soo....

I would like to take a moment to point out that there's no promise that any more locals will be available any time soon. In fact, the technician performed an invalid modification and are abusing the system to get the installations performed.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for new customers, but not if the system doesn't support your location. Per corporate (as of right now...) he should not have performed the installation. In fact, there's been no timeline released for future local launches soo....

Aren't the Atlanta HD locals already on both 61.5 and 129? If so what difference does it make whether they do an EA or WA install? Or a 110/119/61.5 install? I thought Atlanta was an EA city anyway.

I misread. I thought he said he was only GETTING xx locals, when in fact he's only MISSING xx locals. My bad.

However it's still important to note and I hope kkirts is listening - You have to have all-VIP (HD) equipment AND HD programming to get an EA install... so if you weren't getting HD before, SUPRISE! lol

Let's assume he was getting a 625/322, he'd have paid $5 for equipment with phone lines connected.

Now, as an EA install, it's a VIP612, VIP211 and VIP222 (free up-front) OR a VIP722 ($50 up-front) and a VIP222. Assuming he dropped the $50 for the VIP722, he'll be paying a minimum of $14 for equipment ($7 HD-Enabling fee & $7 lease fee.)

kkirts - what setup where you getting/what programming? I'll tell you what you're in for now and see if it's what you want.

I am a previous Dish Network subscriber, that signed up again as a new customer, and I have had Eastern Arc in Atlanta since August 28. I ordered through a local installer in early August and described exactly what I wanted. He arrived with a new 1000.4 dish and Eastern Arc capable receivers and took approximately 4 hours to complete the installation. He had explained that the install may be lenghty because this was his first 1000.4 install.

v0rt3_x86 -

I am getting the 722 and a 222. I believe the fees will be the same as they would have been. I don't think the change in install type has changed what I will be paying.

America's Top 200 $40.39
AMERICA'S TOP 250 BONUS PAK $10.01
GoldHD $10.00
Atlanta, GA DMA Package $5.00
Additonal Fees $11.60

Monthly Total Price $77.00

This is about $11.00 cheaper than I was paying to Comcast for one HD STB.

LordKron - The coverage map covers the entire eastern-half of the US, but your proximity to an already-available market doesn't mean you'll get it soon.

kkirts - Who in the hell printed that pricing for you like that? It's close, but that's so weird...

Here's how it is on your bill:

UP-FRONT:
VIP722 = $0. [$50 up-front, $50 credit with leased promo (w or w/o commit)]

MONTHLY:

AT200 DDA = $49.99 / mo.
- [Dish DVR Advantage (AT200, locals, DVR fee)]

"Two Premium Pack" = $20.00 / mo.
- (AT250 Bonus Pak + GoldHD)

VIP222 a/o fee (leased or purchased) = $7.00 / mo.

Programming Access Fee = $10
- [TV(2) ability ($5 per receiver if not connected to phone lines, waived as a courtesy if you connect them. The VIP722 also supports ethernet connectivity for the waiver.)]

Assume you abide by the Residential Customer Service Agreement and connect phone lines (ethernet also on VIP722) and you're at:

$76.99 + TAX (if applicable in your area.)
$81.99 to $86.99 without lines connected.

Make sense?

Let's hang on for a second there. It could very well be that his office has been instructed from higher-up to use the 1000.4 in situations where there is no line of site to the Western Arc.

rich88:

As I stated, in this case, I misread. Atlanta DMA is EA so I was wrong with his acct.

However, assume you're in a Pittsburgh local market. Pittsburgh is not an Eastern Arc area. If the tech installs EA, he's wrong for doing so. If someone told him to, they're wrong for doing so. Higher-up or not, common sense still needs to be used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)