Surely there are better incentives than what they show on the website, right?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tspangle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Background, was a 10+ year Dish subscriber, switched to DirecTV about a year ago, looking to switch back. My monthly cost will be a bit higher, I'm willing to live with that to get back to the Hopper 3 and Dish's better channel bundling. What I'm having trouble with is the $240 I'll owe DirecTV if I cancel now.

I recently got on a chat with a Dish sales rep, did the whole rigmarole, credit check and everything, got a price that was higher than what I'm paying now, but still acceptable, but didn't end up pulling the trigger. What I'm specifically looking for is some kind of cash back incentive. DirecTV gave me $200 to switch last year. Dish has offered cash (well, prepaid cards) in the past, but I can't find anything about them doing it now, and the rep I chatted with couldn't offer me anything, even after I said that was all I needed to make the move. So I ended up walking away.

Is there some secret phone number or code word I have to use to get to the people that can authorize this kind of thing, or am I chasing ghosts here?

Did you have a cancellation fee from Dish when you switched last year? If not, you can look at it as Directv already paid you $200 toward their $240 cancellation fee, so it would really only be a net loss of $40 to switch now. You can consider that the price to learn your lesson about it not being worth switching to Directv. Or, you can wait a couple of months, until your cancellation fee would only be $200, and then you would come out even.

DISH has never been inclined to buy back customers. You chose to go to Directv, how does that prove to DISH that buying you out of your early termination fee is profitable for DISH. You have already demonstrated your loyalty, now that you know the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence pay your ETF or suffer through the 12mo. to completion of your contract.

Reactions: Tampa8
Did you have a cancellation fee from Dish when you switched last year? If not, you can look at it as Directv already paid you $200 toward their $240 cancellation fee, so it would really only be a net loss of $40 to switch now. You can consider that the price to learn your lesson about it not being worth switching to Directv. Or, you can wait a couple of months, until your cancellation fee would only be $200, and then you would come out even.
I think I paid $40 or so, I was almost at the end of my contract. I suppose that's one way of looking at it!

Reactions: pattykay
DISH has never been inclined to buy back customers. You chose to go to Directv, how does that prove to DISH that buying you out of your early termination fee is profitable for DISH. You have already demonstrated your loyalty, now that you know the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence pay your ETF or suffer through the 12mo. to completion of your contract.
Hey, I'm a big boy, I made the decision, and I get that. Just wondering if there's a way to squeeze some cash out of them, that's all. If not, I'm willing to wait out my contract.

I have to think that the fact that I was a loyal customer for more than 10 years, and I'm willing to pay a higher monthly fee to come back would demonstrate some loyalty on my part, though......

Reactions: HipKat
Background, was a 10+ year Dish subscriber, switched to DirecTV about a year ago, looking to switch back. My monthly cost will be a bit higher, I'm willing to live with that to get back to the Hopper 3 and Dish's better channel bundling. What I'm having trouble with is the $240 I'll owe DirecTV if I cancel now.

I recently got on a chat with a Dish sales rep, did the whole rigmarole, credit check and everything, got a price that was higher than what I'm paying now, but still acceptable, but didn't end up pulling the trigger. What I'm specifically looking for is some kind of cash back incentive. DirecTV gave me $200 to switch last year. Dish has offered cash (well, prepaid cards) in the past, but I can't find anything about them doing it now, and the rep I chatted with couldn't offer me anything, even after I said that was all I needed to make the move. So I ended up walking away.

Is there some secret phone number or code word I have to use to get to the people that can authorize this kind of thing, or am I chasing ghosts here?

You could use one of your friends here to get you a referral code to get a bit of a discount. (hint, hint) ;)

Reactions: HipKat

As an authorized DISH retailer we're offering a $100 gift card for qualified new subs until 8/31 when the promo ends. Contact your local retailer if you have a good one, they'll probably have the same offer.

DISH has never been inclined to buy back customers.

Virtually never. Gift cards when you sign up sometimes but not directly related to paying your present provider's fees. Being a subscriber since almost the beginning I can say I have received and still do benefits for remaining. My last two years were the best discounts and specials including over 1/2 price off DVR fee $25 package discount 1/2 price movie pack. Got discounts when others go to DISH using my customer code among even more things. If I wanted to get the Hopper 3 I'm told there would be no upgrade fee. (I don't want to)

Sent from my KFDOWI using the SatelliteGuys app!

Virtually never. Gift cards when you sign up sometimes but not directly related to paying your present provider's fees. Being a subscriber since almost the beginning I can say I have received and still do benefits for remaining. My last two years were the best discounts and specials including over 1/2 price off DVR fee $25 package discount 1/2 price movie pack. Got discounts when others go to DISH using my customer code among even more things. If I wanted to get the Hopper 3 I'm told there would be no upgrade fee. (I don't want to)

Sent from my KFDOWI using the SatelliteGuys app!
Liked for "I don't want to." ;)

Reactions: Tampa8
I like the way you think!

Just convinced neighbor to call retention & see what he could get since he'd been without a contract/deal for several years. Free upgrade/install to H3 with 2 voice remotes (from 5 yr old HWS) & substantial pkg discount with 2 yr price lock. All he had to do was ask & then say "I'll think about it" - Retention dept. came back with an offer he couldn't refuse. He owes me now!

Use promo code CARD100 and you will get a $100 gift card for signing up. I did and I used it directly through DISH over the phone. Doing it over chat was also available on dish.com, they told me it was valid.

(I don't know when it expires - My order was put through on Monday)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)