Surge protection for coax

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sundaddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Hi guys, I'm new here and forgive me if I'm asking the same old questions you always hear. I am having a 722 installed tomorrow that I recently bought, and I want to protect it, so I will be using surge protection for the power. Would you suggest using the coax on the surge protector also, or would it degrade the signal ? could lightning get it through the coax?

Hi guys, I'm new here and forgive me if I'm asking the same old questions you always hear. I am having a 722 installed tomorrow that I recently bought, and I want to protect it, so I will be using surge protection for the power. Would you suggest using the coax on the surge protector also, or would it degrade the signal ? could lightning get it through the coax?

i've been in electronics a long time so heres my view:

On the AC power side of things: most "power strips" and/or "surge protectors" that look like a power strip are crap. junk. a waste of money. If you are not paying several hundreds of $$$$ for one, its probably not effective. The cheap "power strips" that say "surge protection" you see in like...Wal-mart for instance for $14.00 are useless. All they give you is extra outlets.

Many trouble calls are solved with bypassing the surge protector and plugging the receiever power cord directly into the wall.

A better option if you really CARE is to buy a UPS with power conditioning. And I'm not talking about one of those "80.00" ones. These expensive units stand a better chance of actually protecting your stuff.

On the coax side of it: Many trouble calls are "solved" by removing the SAT SIGNAL cable from an overpriced Monster surge protectors coax connectors and plugging it directly into the receiver. Sometimes those monster things work, sometimes they dont.

If your Dish is grounded properly, stray voltage will drain from the coax to the ground point thru the ground block.

Last point: A direct lightening strike is likely to fry everything wether or not you have surge protection. Your only real chance is to get one of the expensive UPS's I described above.

Really, you are better off just making sure your stuff is covered under your home owners/renters insurance.

my 2 bits.

Last edited:
i've been in electronics a long time so heres my view:

On the AC power side of things: most "power strips" and/or "surge protectors" that look like a power strip are crap. junk. a waste of money. If you are not paying several hundreds of $$$$ for one, its probably not effective. The cheap "power strips" that say "surge protection" you see in like...Wal-mart for instance for $14.00 are useless. All they give you is extra outlets.

Many trouble calls are solved with bypassing the surge protector and plugging the receiever power cord directly into the wall.

A better option if you really CARE is to buy a UPS with power conditioning. And I'm not talking about one of those "80.00" ones. These expensive units stand a better chance of actually protecting your stuff.

On the coax side of it: Many trouble calls are "solved" by removing the SAT SIGNAL cable from an overpriced Monster surge protectors coax connectors and plugging it directly into the receiver. Sometimes those monster things work, sometimes they dont.

If your Dish is grounded properly, stray voltage will drain from the coax to the ground point thru the ground block.

Last point: A direct lightening strike is likely to fry everything wether or not you have surge protection. Your only real chance is to get one of the expensive UPS's I described above.

Really, you are better off just making sure your stuff is covered under your home owners/renters insurance.

my 2 bits.
If the comments above don't satisfy your "need" to have suitable "protection", then go for the PANAMAX brand. Had good results with using all of the newest DPP switches......have fun...

Read this thread on the subject. There are only a few surge protectors that are approved by Dish for use with DishPro signals because of their higher frequency. They are listed in a couple of posts in this thread. My Monster HT3600 Power Center interfered with the signals when I upgraded from a Dish 811 receiver on an old Dish 500 antenna to a Dish ViP211 receiver and a Dish 1000.2 antenna.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/137437-vip622-surge-protectors.html

My favorite.....

And, they are UL listed to replace grounding blocks.

Sabre CPD100

Attachments

• CPD100.JPG
    CPD100.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 274