SURROUND SOUND is OUT - Please Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cad55ken

Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Hello all - new to this board.

As of the software upgrade (LOL) on 1-10-2006, my surround sound system does not work correctly when watching HDNET, HDMOV, etc - the channels that broadcast 5.1 surround sound -

The FRONT LEFT and RIGHT main channels are gone! The Center, the two rear surrounds, and the LFE work.

When I listen to the music channels which should come out on the FRONT LEFT and RIGHT speakers, I get the same thing. Center channel only.

I have a Yamaha HTR 5590 and Dish 811 receiver. The sound channels are connected via TOS link fiber.

Prior to 1-10-2005, my surround sound worked great - all channels were there.
I have had no problems with my DISH 811 rcvr.

I called DISH and they treated me like I was an idiot - told me my receiver had suddenly gone bad.

They think "PRESS and HOLD the POWER BUTTON" fixes everything!!!

I switched the DVD and DISH TOS link cables with each other. I then played a DVD with the rcvr set on the CBL/SAT position and all 5.1 channels came through fine.

I used the same TOS link cable to link the 811 rcvr to my Yamaha rcvr and still the FRONT LEFT and RIGHT channels are gone.

My TOS link cables are fine and my receiver is working as it should.

When I watch local NBC in High Def with OTA antenna, all 5.1 channels come in fine.

DISH is sending me a refurbed 811 rcvr after I had called in four times - they charged me $39.95 for this. The refurbed rcvr should be here in 3 or 4 days.

Is there anyone in DISH that will LISTEN ?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Please EMAIL or POST comments. I am VERY VERY frustrated and cannot get DISH to understand / admit they have a problem.

Thanks,
Ken in Dallas
cad55ken@aol.com

Well, I know they had problems with some dolby stuff in the past, but you are the first person I have seen report the problem in a while, especially after it was working fine.

I assume you checked all the stuff on the 811 (how it outputs the audio signal) and made sure the software upgrade did not change the output format? (PCM stream etc)

I'm SOOOO glad I have my 811 set to "ask before downloading" and said no to the upgrade offer last evening. This combined with the reported black level problem makes me think I won't take 3.34 unless it is forced down my throat.

Satin KZO - Yes, the sound parameters are set correctly. They downloaded the FULL SPOOL release early this morning - still no front channels.

IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM?

PLEASE RESPOND. DISH says that "I" am the only person with this issue.

Ok, just checking. It really seems odd and to me it is sounding like it is an isolated issue with your Dish receiver. Hopefully the replacement fixes it.

Some Dish 811 revs have had issues with DD on certain AV receivers. The new software may have just triggered this problem to crop up on yours. This was confirmed to my by B&K, not Dish, BTW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)