SW-64 Switch Problem

BG40

Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hello everyone

A few years back I had satellite system installed with 2 dishes (Dish 500 & Dish 300), SW-64 Switch and 3 receivers. At the time of that installation I was told I have a room to add one more receiver to this setup. Everything worked great at this point. SW-64 was setup with all LNBF's inputs on one side and on the receiver’s side:
#1 - connected to Power inserter
#2 - receiver 1
#3 - receiver 2
#4 - receiver 3

Recently I replaced one of the receivers with ViP 622 dual tuner receiver and I needed to run another wire from switch box to 622's second tuner. The only 4th input for a receiver not used before was on the other Power inserter unit. That's where my problem starts. I connected a wire from Power inserter receiver output to a receiver input and none of the receivers is able to detect switchbox. I know the cable is good because as soon as I move it to output #2, 3 or 4 on SW-64, I'm getting signal and all receivers work. I'm just unable to get anything out from the output on Power inserter. Does it mean the Power inserter is "bad" and needs to be replaced or is it SW-64 itself? Any inputs greatly appreciated.

It's quite possible the power inserter itself is bad. It's a fairly cheap part so I'd try replacing it first. If that doesn't work and you need a new switch instead you might want to consider getting a DPP44 instead.

Well - "I connected a wire from Power inserter receiver output to a receiver input and" ?

You've better stick with real technical details - it's hard to follow you.

The power inserter have two coax connectors: TO RECEIVER SATELLITE IN and TO SWITCH INPUT (1).
Just keep that old cable connected from second connector of the inserter to your SW64 port#1, and use the inserter's first connector for your old [one tuner] receiver; then connect two cables from 622 to any other ports of SW64 (2/3; 3/4),

Smith said:
Well - "I connected a wire from Power inserter receiver output to a receiver input and" ?

You've better stick with real technical details - it's hard to follow you.

The power inserter have two coax connectors: TO RECEIVER SATELLITE IN and TO SWITCH INPUT (1).
Just keep that old cable connected from second connector of the inserter to your SW64 port#1, and use the inserter's first connector for your old [one tuner] receiver; then connect two cables from 622 to any other ports of SW64 (2/3; 3/4),

Sorry for my lack of technical language, I'm not too familiar with satellite setups; however I can follow diagrams and descriptions.

Power inserter TO SWITCH INPUT (1) coax connector was already connected to SW64 coax connector labeled (1) TO POWER INSERTER.
Nothing was connected to TO RECEIVER SATELLITE IN coax connector on Power Inserter, so I just simply connected a new cable to it and the other end to a receiver's SATELLITE IN connector. No matter what receiver I connect, it won't detect a switch.

Smith said:
Perhaps the new coax cable is bad ? Have too short center wire ?

This possibility bas been ruled out by connecting "new" coax cable to other receiver ports (#2, 3 or 4) on SW64 and by connecting one of "old" coax cables to TO RECEIVER SATELLITE IN coax connector on Power Inserter. No matter what cable I use, I can't get the port on Power inserter to work.

SW-64s and dual tuner boxes can be fussy.

Try putting the 622 on SW-64 ports 3 & 4, with the old single tuner units on 1 & 2 (moving the power inserter if necessary). If that doesn't help, or only helps some, swap the two 622 cables at the back of the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)