SW44 questions

Kentrda

Original poster
Jan 31, 2021
Grand Lake, CO
1. I would like to connect two VIP211 receivers to one dish with one coax going from the dish to the house. Can I go from the dish to a separator (then to the two receivers), or do I need to get a SW44 switch or a DPP44 Switch?

2. If I must use a SW44 or DPP44 switch, then is it necessary for me to run 3 cables from the 3 LNB's on the dish to the SW44, or can I just run the one coaxial cable from the 3 LNB dish to the SW44?
Thank you SO much in advance. I really appreciate your help.
Kent

SW44 is for legacy LNB's, and it requires two cable runs for each satellite connected to it. So, that would be a total of four cables coming in, and you would still only be able to get two satellite locations. You could connect up to four satellite receivers to the SW44, but the Check Switch for each one would take forever. Definitely not the way to go here.

If you have a three-LNB dish, then it likely already has a switch built into the LNB. There is no need for an external switch unless you want to run more than three receivers. That is when a DPP44 would come into the mix. A separator would only work to feed both satellite inputs on the same ViP dual-tuner receiver, such as a ViP222. It will not feed two separate receivers. So, you will need two coaxes to feed two ViP211's.

There used to be a gnarly way of connecting up one DPP receiver, such as a 622/722, with 2 more single-tuner receivers such as 211's via just two DPP cables. Basically the idea was both the DPP's tuners were getting the bandstacked band, while the 211's got the un-bandstacked bands, from the two cables.

If the 211 software has been enhanced to work like a DPP tuner, then your #1 question would work. I doubt it, though. Why don't you hook it up that way and see what happens?

I would be surprised if you can even find an old SW44. The SW64 was more popular back in the day
Way back when I started with Dish (fall 1999) I was actually looking for a SW44. My local Dish dealer was out of stock, and all they had was the SW64. I was told that the SW44 had been discontinued, due to too many technical issues with them. (Personally, I just assumed that the "technical issues" were due to people getting confused and hooking them up backwards, since the SW44 had the same number of inputs as outputs. I also thought that it was maybe just a case of the dealer trying to upsell me to a more expensive switch that I didn't really need, but I went ahead and bought it anyway.) I was glad I bought the SW64, since shortly after I got my system hooked up the way I had wanted it, I found out about some additional programming on a different satellite. This meant that I actually could use the ability to integrate three orbital slots, instead of just the two that I had originally wanted the SW44 for. The price difference between the SW44 and SW64 was relatively small. By getting the slightly more expensive switch the first time, it meant that I already had all of the equipment I would need for the upgrade of adding the third dish. So, I saved money by buying the SW64 instead of buying a SW44 and then having to switch switches later when I wanted to upgrade. Saving money is always a good thing.

Way back when I started with Dish (fall 1999) I was actually looking for a SW44. My local Dish dealer was out of stock, and all they had was the SW64. I was told that the SW44 had been discontinued, due to too many technical issues with them. (Personally, I just assumed that the "technical issues" were due to people getting confused and hooking them up backwards, since the SW44 had the same number of inputs as outputs. I also thought that it was maybe just a case of the dealer trying to upsell me to a more expensive switch that I didn't really need, but I went ahead and bought it anyway.) I was glad I bought the SW64, since shortly after I got my system hooked up the way I had wanted it, I found out about some additional programming on a different satellite. This meant that I actually could use the ability to integrate three orbital slots, instead of just the two that I had originally wanted the SW44 for. The price difference between the SW44 and SW64 was relatively small. By getting the slightly more expensive switch the first time, it meant that I already had all of the equipment I would need for the upgrade of adding the third dish. So, I saved money by buying the SW64 instead of buying a SW44 and then having to switch switches later when I wanted to upgrade. Saving money is always a good thing.

When the quad LNB’s first came out, that made the SW44 obsolete

I only remember using an SW44 once and that was for a customer with 6 receivers. We had to cascade them with high frequency splitters.

You couldn’t cascade (2) Sw64’s together unless you had the load isolators which where almost impossible to find.

But reminds me of the early days of Dish switching. I used to absolutely hate putting Sw21 switches behind a Dish500.

I would always get Siamese cable and either mount the sw21’s indoors or use them as a ground block.

Seen too many switches filled with water back in the day.

I remember doing a Directv service call once and someone cascaded (2) 2x4 switches with high frequency splitters and left them sitting on the roof behind the Dish.

It was the middle of winter, and literally an ice dam built up and the switches where frozen in ice. Opened one of the switches and it was filled with water.

Just a pet peeve of mine whenever I see someone put the switch next to the Dish on the roof.

The Dish500 plus with the DP44, at a cost of $159 seeing them tie wrapped hanging off the dish used to irritate me the most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst was the SW42, it just couldn't handle being outside in the elements. It wasn't around long, they discontinued it and just provided two SW21s.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts