SW64 problem...or not???

whtevr77

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 30, 2003
Longmont, CO
I posted this over at avsforum but wanted to get some feedback here. I have an 811 and two 301s. Over the weekend I lost two of the three sats on the line coming into my main viewing room. When doing a check switch the switch is not found ("unknown model"). The other two sats show a signal but it does not lock. I've checked variations of receiver and outputs on the SW64 and the problem is narrowed to any receiver working off the cable coming into the room. My other two rooms are able to get through a check switch fine.

I guess my question is....could the cable from the switch to the receiver be causing this problem? Right now I only get 110 and not 148 and 119. OTA has not been affected, thankfully, so I still get to watch the games in HD. A service rep is coming out this Saturday to take a look but I know you guys on here are usually more informed so maybe I can know some info before that happens.

Thanks for any info or help.

Did you try changing that wire to a difference port on the SW64. They are a little flaky sometimes, and pulling the power wires from all3 boxes for a few minutes and then pluggin the problem 1 in by itself and doing a check switch may fix it. Then add the other 2 in 1 at a time doing a check switch to make sure everything is ok.

I did try changing the cable to a different port and had the same problem. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for the reply..

Well, I did as suggested. Now when the 811 boots it tries to aquire the "default" satellite then 105. Of course it never gets anywhere. Check switch give no sat found. The 301s are fine. I guess I'll have to wait until the service comes Saturday. Unless there are more suggestions?

I am on my third SW64 and I suspect yours will need to be swapped out. Mine would loose 119 first and then 110 even TP. Sorry for the bad news

The plot thickens a bit. Lat night I was able to get a completed check switch using a 301 on that line. Still nothing with the 811. Knowing my luck both the 811 and SW64 need replacing. I'll post back here after they (hopefully) fix the problem tomorrow.

The problem has been resolved if anyone is interested. After a huge problem getting the tech out to my house (he never received the work order), he proceeded to do a check switch, jiggled the cables and everything came up. I stood there dumbfounded. I had just tried a check switch that morning with no results. The tech said it does happen and it was strange that I had tried so many times without suceess. The 811 still might be at fault but as of right now it's working fine. The cynical part of me thinks that they did "something" but I don't know what that could be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts