swap HDD in 922 to save recordings?

cdh1000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
i know this is desperation type of thinking...

922 just died. tries to boot, but can't boot. keeps resetting. this was my 2nd 922, and i've only had it a couple months.

i can't get to my recordings, since it won't boot. i've tried disconnecting everything and it will come up just long enough to get into the menus, then it just dies and tries rebooting again within a few minutes.

So...i've got my new system, and the old bad one in possession, about to send it back...but wondering if its possible to swap drives, so i can salvage my recordings. I'm fairly certain the old drive is fine, and its a hardware problem.

1) Dish have intrusion swithc or tattle tell that will in turn charge me money for opening the box?
2) any idea if the HDDs are locked to the specific ID or firmware of the reciever they are in?

Dish will know you removed the HDD, a violation of your agreement

Perhaps you are correct and the HDD is fine. Good luck, and buy a EHD.

i have an EHD. i was thinking i could swap old HDD into the New machine, then boot it up in new machine, and transfer all recordings to my Ehd.

then swap HDDs back, and ship the bad one back, with its original HDD.

I think that should work if the problem is indeed the 922 itself. If possible, place them top to top and swap cables without disturbing the seal. ;) If the cables are too short, you might extend them.

navy,
i haven't opened the box yet. i was hoping someone could tell me if there is a seal on box, an intrusion switch on the box before i opened it and looked.

sounds like you know...do they put tamper seals on the connectors of the drive?

I've opened up a 501, a 625, a 722, and a 612. I have never laid eyes on a 922 so I'm uncertain. But for all the rest, there was a seal placed inside the top lid from chassis to the hdd cage. No seals were placed on cover itself nor on cabling.

Yep, what Krell said has been my experience also. But I vaguely remember someone posting that they could not disconnect the drive due to a seal.

If no seal, you can wire it to the new ViP922. Can't wire it to an EHD case because internal and external drives are set up differently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts