Swap out HR20 for HR22?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
Hey, guys, I apologize up front, because this has probably already been asked somewhere (I thought I remembered a previous thread or post on it, but couldn't find it by searching), and is probably a really stupid question at any rate.

I currently have two HR20's - one in my bedroom and one in the living room. Any chance I can get D* to replace the one in the living room with an HR22 with OTA tuner for little or no cost? I'd be glad to give them back the HR20.... I'm just looking for the additional storage space (and to get rid of the last non-black component in my setup).

Also, the side question - any other drawbacks I should be aware of?

EDIT: One more, totally unrelated question - any chance of getting an SWM for my bedroom receiver, which only has one line run to it?

Who knows what you can talk DirecTV into doing. Typically I'd say the "little or no cost" is going to be the stumbling block but others here have pulled off deals so give it a try. Same with the SWM. With the number of units you've got there's not a compelling reason for SWM other than running the second line to possibly a difficult location. I know when I approached them about it they weren't really supportive and actually said no so I finally bought my own SWM-8 and installed it myself.

You could pay $199 for the HR22 plus $50 for the AM21 and deactivate the HR20 (plus you would have a new 24 month commitment). Adding an ESATA drive would probably be a better alternative.

You could pay $199 for the HR22 plus $50 for the AM21 and deactivate the HR20 (plus you would have a new 24 month commitment). Adding an ESATA drive would probably be a better alternative.

Not a bad point, although it doesn't solve my color issue... :)

I sympathize with the color issue. There was nothing like having a gray STB box on the top left of 2 shelves that contained a black component switcher, a black HTIB system, a PS3, a Wii (yes I know it's white but being the ONLY white in the bottom center was a nice contrast) and my 360 Elite. While it definitely looks nicer and more "sleek" than the HR20, if it works fine, and at least to keep OTA capabilities, just upgrade the current HR20. Do you really want to pay $250 for a nicer color and more storage (and an ugly OTA add-on & a new 2-year commitment), or just pay less and buy a new HDD for essentially the same functionality?

I sympathize with the color issue. There was nothing like having a gray STB box on the top left of 2 shelves that contained a black component switcher, a black HTIB system, a PS3, a Wii (yes I know it's white but being the ONLY white in the bottom center was a nice contrast) and my 360 Elite. While it definitely looks nicer and more "sleek" than the HR20, if it works fine, and at least to keep OTA capabilities, just upgrade the current HR20. Do you really want to pay $250 for a nicer color and more storage (and an ugly OTA add-on & a new 2-year commitment), or just pay less and buy a new HDD for essentially the same functionality?

No, I don't, which is why I threw in the "little or no cost" piece of my question. I'm perfectly fine keeping what I have (and maybe adding the eSATA at some point) if it means shelling out $250....

Like I said, I figured it was a dumb question, but never hurts to ask, right?

Thanks, guys.

I went thru the same thing. CSR's told me that could not guarantee which model I would get (told them I wanted the HR22 only), and still expected me to pay the fee. Pretty ridiculous to pay $149 (what they offered) and potentially get a HR20. I drove down to BBuy and bought a shiny new HR22 for $199.

I went thru the same thing. CSR's told me that could not guarantee which model I would get (told them I wanted the HR22 only), and still expected me to pay the fee. Pretty ridiculous to pay $149 (what they offered) and potentially get a HR20. I drove down to BBuy and bought a shiny new HR22 for $199.
$169 at Costco. Nice little Xmas gift for me. :)

cinemasupplies_2033_384452143

:D

Exactly.. you could paint it, you can use a Torx driver to remove the cover and paint it or just cover the lights and whatnot with tape.

Status
Please reply by conversation.