Switch 2nd Tuner of VIP 722 to another TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cruciatus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
Long story short: How do you connect a VIP 722 to another TV (and please speak to me like I'm a person who has never done that before since...I am).

Long story long: So, I think my VIP 722 bit it last night. Started clicking. I unplugged overnight and while I can amazingly watch TV at the moment (last night it was nothing but a black screen) my Events folder is empty (sob!) and same for my Timers. Everything is gone, gone, gone. I've tried recording something and it won't.

There is another DVR in the house (same VIP 722) that is connected to a frequently watched TV and a guest room TV. I'd like to switch the guest room tuner to my TV instead. This will buy us some time while we figure out what we should do next (they tried to upsell me to the Hopper last night, even after I complained about our bill being too high and the Hopper would only increase the bill. But that's probably a story for another day.)

So...how does one do that? I have been searching online, but it seems like everyone knows all the lingo already so I'm missing out before I even get started. I feel like the signal is sent to the second TV through the cable line (since the TVs are way too far away to connect to the DVR another way). But I could be wrong about that. I know it can be done since it's already done in our house, but how can I switch the guest room to me instead? Please help! I obviously don't know the lingo, but I can follow directions.

Please note: I know the picture won't be the same but since the other DVR has some of the same recordings that I just lost it's worth the cons to at least be able to temporarily access it.

You might get another ViP722 model of some sort to replace the bad one, but it will be an old unit. Old HDD.

You might price the cost of two ViP722 units to an H3 and Joey- or just an H3 and use a Fire Stick in place of today’s second ViP722. You might be surprised.

Sorry, it’s been so long since I had a couple ViP722s I can’t remember specifics.

Or you could just call DISH and add the protection plan if you don't have it. According to DIRT answers in this forum they are still replacing the 722s. Replacements are refurbished but covered by 1 year warranty and you already know how to operate it.

Or you could just call DISH and add the protection plan if you don't have it. According to DIRT answers in this forum they are still replacing the 722s. Replacements are refurbished but covered by 1 year warranty and you already know how to operate it.
Yes, I found out last night we've apparently been paying for this...and none of us remember signing up for it. Another sketchy thing from Dish. We will likely do that though. But for tonight and the next few days I'd really like to be able to be connected to a DVR. Walking Dead and all, you know...the priorities. It really doesn't seem like it should be anything hard. I just want to switch tuner 2 to another TV. Why is it so hard to find step-by-step instructions on this?

Yes, I found out last night we've apparently been paying for this...and none of us remember signing up for it. Another sketchy thing from Dish. We will likely do that though. But for tonight and the next few days I'd really like to be able to be connected to a DVR. Walking Dead and all, you know...the priorities. It really doesn't seem like it should be anything hard. I just want to switch tuner 2 to another TV. Why is it so hard to find step-by-step instructions on this?

There are no step by step instructions because every house is wired differently.

There are no step by step instructions because every house is wired differently.
Got it, but what would a typical house have? We have about 5000 TV cables set up in the basement (when they built this house they put cable hook ups in every single room!). How can I figure out how it's currently being done in my house (besides calling Dish who likely won't send a rep on a Sunday)? There is no typical way for two TVs in separate rooms to be connected to the same DVR? Even when that set up is currently in existence in the house and you just want it switched to another TV? DVRs and houses only have a finite number of ways. Is there something I *could* try?

The second TV output of a VIP 722 is coax and only SD. You pick what goes out that port with a Remote set for 2.

The second TV output of a VIP 722 is coax and only SD. You pick what goes out that port with a Remote set for 2.
I know it'll only be SD. That's fine for me. But you seem to have left out...how to get to that point. What port? How do I get the signal to TV 2?

I really thought this would be as easy as going to the basement and fiddling with the cable splitters down there.

OK, there are 2 ways to setup TV2 on a Duo Tuner, which a 722 is. 1, there's a Triplexer, looks like a 3 way splitter on the back of the 722. 2 cables are blue, one is yellow. If yours are like this, then that means somewhere in the cabling is a diplexer, looks like a splitter but the ports are named Sat, In/Out, UHF/VHF. If this is the case, both receivers are cabled the same way, with the triplexer (and for old installations, before Triplexers, you'll have a Diplexer/Slitter combo behind the receiver, looks like 2 splitters), the sat port on the diplexor is the line in from the dish. The In/Out goes to the 722 and the UHF/VHF goes to TV2.

Figure out which one is for the box that good,. swap the TV2 cables form one diplexor to the other.

The other way is the yellow port behind the receiver has a coax running out of it straight to the TV2. This makes your job much harder because you need the cable running out of the yellow port on the good box, running to the TV you want to watch.

Sounds complicated and it probably is when you're not sure what you're doing but hope this gives you an idea.

I would highly recommend getting a replacement receiver going and just live without TV for a couple days those sets.

I just got back from fixing TV2 on my parents setup that a Dish tech modified for reasons I can't figure out. Knocked one of their TV2 sets out and they couldn't get it back on. :what

OK, there are 2 ways to setup TV2 on a Duo Tuner, which a 722 is. 1, there's a Triplexer, looks like a 3 way splitter on the back of the 722. 2 cables are blue, one is yellow. If yours are like this, then that means somewhere in the cabling is a diplexer, looks like a splitter but the ports are named Sat, In/Out, UHF/VHF. If this is the case, both receivers are cabled the same way, with the triplexer (and for old installations, before Triplexers, you'll have a Diplexer/Slitter combo behind the receiver, looks like 2 splitters), the sat port on the diplexor is the line in from the dish. The In/Out goes to the 722 and the UHF/VHF goes to TV2.

Figure out which one is for the box that good,. swap the TV2 cables form one diplexor to the other.

The other way is the yellow port behind the receiver has a coax running out of it straight to the TV2. This makes your job much harder because you need the cable running out of the yellow port on the good box, running to the TV you want to watch.

Sounds complicated and it probably is when you're not sure what you're doing but hope this gives you an idea.

Thank you! This at least gives me something to work with.

I'm talking to another Dish agent now and they said they'd have to send out a tech to fix this anyone so we're likely just going to go the replacement route in the end anyway. Apparently the 722s are phasing out and we have to upgrade to the Hopper 3 system. When I said this would increase our already too high bill they were able to magically lower our bill by at least $20 (if, of course, we sign up for 2 years). Now I have to figure out whether to keep negotiating or not.

You do NOT have to upgrade to the Hopper 3. That is a lie. 722's are still available to replace defective 722's. Don't let some sales agent trick you into an upgrade you may not want or need just so he/she can get some paltry commision

I suspect he will be happier, and happy longer, by moving to the H3.

If they lowered my bill $20/month to replace my two HWSes (and inactive Joey) with an H3 and Joey, I’d have to SERIOUSLY consider it.

Especially if I could hot wire a red LED recording in progress indicator. ;)

Reactions: pattykay
I haven't signed on the dotted line yet. I've always liked the Hopper and it's pretty well reviewed. It's not super helpful right now to be told they don't have the 722s and I did figure they have to have more somewhere, even if the Hopper is the latest, greatest new thing. But with the Hopper no more Sophie's Choice between TV shows that only air once on network TV. I'm asking them an annoying amount of questions. The current one is about external hard drives. The other DVR just has so many shows on it (the person who uses it was in the hospital for 2 months! So things built up). They aren't big on streaming and, again, it's just so much stuff to keep track of. An external HD is another expense I'd hate to pay but would work *if* it can be used once the new Hopper system is installed. Of course this delays me having a DVR for longer but since streaming is easier for me I guess I'll survive. Can anyone recommend a good external HD for transferring shows (and will it work from one system to the next?) I will try to get the $40 activation fee waived if so.

I haven't signed on the dotted line yet. I've always liked the Hopper and it's pretty well reviewed. It's not super helpful right now to be told they don't have the 722s and I did figure they have to have more somewhere, even if the Hopper is the latest, greatest new thing. But with the Hopper no more Sophie's Choice between TV shows that only air once on network TV. I'm asking them an annoying amount of questions. The current one is about external hard drives. The other DVR just has so many shows on it (the person who uses it was in the hospital for 2 months! So things built up). They aren't big on streaming and, again, it's just so much stuff to keep track of. An external HD is another expense I'd hate to pay but would work *if* it can be used once the new Hopper system is installed. Of course this delays me having a DVR for longer but since streaming is easier for me I guess I'll survive. Can anyone recommend a good external HD for transferring shows (and will it work from one system to the next?) I will try to get the $40 activation fee waived if so.
Edit: And nope. Of course not. They don't have the same formatting so they can't be used together. sh*t!

I suspect he will be happier, and happy longer, by moving to the H3.

If they lowered my bill $20/month to replace my two HWSes (and inactive Joey) with an H3 and Joey, I’d have to SERIOUSLY consider it.

Especially if I could hot wire a red LED recording in progress indicator. ;)

So it's true

Everyone has a price

Reactions: navychop and HipKat