Switch from Western Arc to Eastern Arc

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
Dish has finally agreed to swith me from Western Arc to Eastern since my hd locals are on a different satellite than the sd locals. Now I am worried that my picture quality will change. Is that possible? What about rain fade? I want to be able to receive my hd locals, but not at the expense of lesser quality reception.

If anything PQ will be a little better on the SD channels because the MPEG4 algorithm seems to do better anti-aliasing (not as "fuzzy"). The HD channels will be the same.

Rain fade has not been an issue for me since I moved over to EA from WA. The signal for me is a little lower, but still plenty of signal so only the largest storm clouds cut off my signal, just like when I was on WA.

IOW, never fear... it should be at least as good if not better!

Dish has finally agreed to swith me from Western Arc to Eastern since my hd locals are on a different satellite than the sd locals. Now I am worried that my picture quality will change. Is that possible? What about rain fade? I want to be able to receive my hd locals, but not at the expense of lesser quality reception.

I was switched last month and haven't noticed any problems with the HD feed. No problems with rain fade. Not sure if his is the reason, but since the dish is aimed much higher in the sky, there is less atmosphere, therefor less rain clouds for the signal to pass through. The one thing is that you will lose the SD signal for your locals. I'm located just east of Rochester, NY.

Depending on your location and snowfall you may find that the higher elevation of the EA dish accumulates more snow and ice.

I'm about 10-15 miles east of you in Marion in Wayne County. It will be interesting to see if I have more or less signal loss from snow/ice. The only times I lost signal was if there was a heavy wet snow that accumulated on my dishes, since they faced more south west. I do live in a high wind area, on top of a drumlin with a farm field across the street.

I'm about 10-15 miles east of you in Marion in Wayne County. It will be interesting to see if I have more or less signal loss from snow/ice. The only times I lost signal was if there was a heavy wet snow that accumulated on my dishes, since they faced more south west. I do live in a high wind area, on top of a drumlin with a farm field across the street.

I went from WA to EA about two years ago. The EA dish is about 10-15 degrees more horizontal. This caused the snow (even the fluffy stuff when not wind blown) to pile up in the lower 1/3 of the dish and, helped by solar melting, refroze and blocked some signal to the point of occasional drop-out. I got a front stick-on dish heater from ebay and it does cure the problem when turned on. If you go this route make sure you position the heater all the way down to the lower lip of the dish even though it looks strange not being centered. BTW, I'm on the top of the biggest drumlin (moraine) in MC and do get significant winds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)