switch to 118.7 for new programming -- 200$ charge

katellite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I am trying to get some channels that are being switched over to the 118.7 within a few months; currently I have dishes for 129, 148, 110, 119, and when I tried to add these channels the technical rep was unable to remove a 200$ installation fee, even after I told him I can re-align the dish myself. I didn't add the channels because he said there didn't seem to be a way to avoid the fee. :confused:Any info is much appreciated.

EDIT: I realize that 118.7 is normally received through 1000+, or 500+ (FSS/DBS dual band lnbf (which gets 118.7 & 119)) can a regular DP dual lnbf be tuned to pick up 118.7.

EDIT2: It looks like hte 118.7 is picked up on the FSS part, for which a regular DP dual will not suffice, I have to see if I can find my old superdish fss i guess

EDIT3: my brther says there is a promotion for people receiving intl channels or w/e on 148 to get a new dish 1000+ for free..since channels are being moved over

Last edited:
And, can't use a standard LNB for 118.7, as it uses [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_Service_Satellite"]Fixed Service Satellite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame], not DBS. Need a special LNB, like that on the Dish500+.

If you are currently paying for any channel that Dish is going to move, then they will change your dish setup for no charge. Try to add a channel that your current setup will receive and later let Dish give you the free upgrade when they move the service.

You need to wait until Dish moves them (or starts their process of re-aiming dishes). You're trying to do it ahead of time, right ? To Dish, that's your choice, but you have to pay for it.

They are already start moving international channels to 118.75W AND sending postcards.

EDIT. Here is the card, both sides.

Attachments

• DISH-118W.jpg
    DISH-118W.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
If you are currently paying for any channel that Dish is going to move, then they will change your dish setup for no charge. Try to add a channel that your current setup will receive and later let Dish give you the free upgrade when they move the service.

they won't permit this

You need to wait until Dish moves them (or starts their process of re-aiming dishes). You're trying to do it ahead of time, right ? To Dish, that's your choice, but you have to pay for it.

I'm just trying to subscribe to some channels, which is incurring a 200$ equipment/install fee, I did have some intl channels on 148, and one of the new ones I want to get is still on 148, but dish won't add it, they require it to be added on 118.7 (it is currently on both 148 & 118.7 but is being phased out of 148)

They are already start moving international channels to 118.75W AND sending postcards.

EDIT. Here is the card, both sides.

thanks, I'm calling them now.

they told me that the promotion requires a recommitment of 2 years (as opposed to a 200$ one-time charge). This doesn't make sense to me, because in that case I might as well change to another TV service provider, and I would receive all new equipment in addition to a satellite antenna upgrade, which is all dish is offering. I will call back and try and speak to the director on monday between 6 AM & 2 PM pacific.

It's strange because serious subscribers of international channels would then automatically have to renew their contract for little reason, or pay 200$, or have the international channels dropped after the transition, assuming they don't buy/install the FSS lnbf on their own or via a third party, which dish said they would not allow or is highly unusual.

Just be patient. Dish just moved me from 148 to 118 for internationals at NO Charge. 148 people are receiving letters at this time. You just have to wait for them to send you the letter. I'm sure it won't be very long. Once you get the letter informing you that you need an upgrade to continue to receive the internationals you get at 148, Dish will pay for EVERYTHING, even if they have to upgrade your receivers--WITH NO COMMITMENTS--ABSOLUTELY FREE! They switched me out for a brand new Dish 1000 Plus: a single dish solution to my previous 3 dishes, and 129 is nice and strong. I am really happy.

The point is for you to just wait and be patient. You may get your letter next week or next month, but if you try to switch BEFORE receiving the letter, you will have to pay. You are getting ahead of yourself here. Just sit back relax and you will get your letter for the FREE upgrade that you want. Again, all labor and any additional equipment that may be necessary to make it work (new switches, receivers--I got all new cable) is FREE of any charge.

It is FREE because this is a change Dish is making, NOT YOU. Since this is a requirement of Dish (moving internationals from 148 to 118), Dish will pay for it NOT YOU. But, if you can't wait and YOU want to make the change now, then Dish figures YOU can pay for it. They have to run your address and account through the computer, and if it shows that you have not been sent the letter, the system will only make the change if you pay for it. However, if the system shows that the letter has been sent, then you qualify for the FREE upgrade with absolutely no conditions, and the system won't add any charges. That simple.

Just be patient. Dish just moved me from 148 to 118 for internationals at NO Charge. 148 people are receiving letters at this time. You just have to wait for them to send you the letter.

I already received the letter some time back,

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)