Switch V.S Splitter

lovebug653

Original poster
May 5, 2005
I am installing RG-6 cable- Independent runs from the dish to each room. My final run is to the attic where there will be one Sat reciever. However the reciever may be placed either in the living room of the attic, or the bedroom of the attic.

My Question?: If this was a cable install I would use a cable splitter. Can I use a splitter for the (reciever's input) Satilite signals. or, Does satilite signals need to be split only with the aide of a switch such as Dish network's DP+34 switch.

Granted the single attic cable is connected to a dp+34 switch. Ifigured It would be great to split the cable and run one end to the bed room and the other to the living room. Please note: only one Sat Reciever will be connected at any given time in the attic.

Please help:

Thank you!

Thank you foe your help. I will run the cable to the Living room and a RG-6 (modulated TV picture out) return cable to the bedroom of the attic. Therefore, the bedroom TV will get whatever is being viewed in the living room.

Don't quite know if I have understood your setup correctly, but you could use an AB switch in reverse. Only one room or receiver could be used at a time. Run the coax feed from the dish to the TV-out. Input-A would be for bedroom and Input-B would be for living room.

A lot would depend though if you could mount the AB switch in a convenient location. Possibly an AB switch with remote would be feasable.

he was trying to split the input of the line, which you cannot do

You can have as many TV's on the outputs as you'd like

Why cant he use a satellite splitter that has power pass on both ports? There will be only 1 port (receiver) connected to the switch at any one time.

If you want to have satellite TV in 2 rooms, and have dish service and not through SBC, why not just get a dual tuner box and a 2nd UHF remote? Provided the receiver was plugged into a phone line you wouldn't pay extra for 'extra outlet fee', rather the same as it'd cost to have service for one tv. Anyway, purchasing a 2nd UHF remote would allow you to keep the receiver in the attic, you wouldn't have to worry about pointing the remote at anything, and you'd be able to watch 2 different things at the same time :D

FYI: This would require 2 wires from the dish to the receiver (which could be stuffed in the attic if you give it plenty of ventillation), and then one wire to each TV.

ats7627 said:
Why cant he use a satellite splitter that has power pass on both ports? There will be only 1 port (receiver) connected to the switch at any one time.

because it won't work

if he had a dish just at 119, it might

but a DishPro Twin, Quad, Legacy, DP34 you cannot split the line

Only the DPPTwin or the DPP44 can do that...and only for dual tuners

I decided to run the one avable RG6 from the DP+34 switch to the Attic's living room. From the living room I ran another RG6 Cable to the Attic's bedroom. So thanks you guys for all your ideas. you have prevented me from really messing up my install.

I am now able to use either an A-B Switch, A Dual Tuner, or simply conect the TV or Satalite modulated signal to the RG6 Cable which leads to the Attic's bed room.

Again You guys are wonderful. :)

ats7627 said:

Because satellite doesn't work like cable. With legacy systems, the LNB/switch is voltage switched depending upon transponder and a 22khz digital tone for location. DP uses a digital setup for location. So, if recevier 1 needs the 119 trans 2, and receiver 2 needs 110 trans 11, you will have a conflict. Also, a power passing splitter would combine BOTH voltages, which could fry the LNB/Switch.

am i reading this wrong, or does he want the receiver in the attic? I would strongly advise against this due to the heat in the attic- just my .02

The option you decided to take is a good one but, consider this. . .

Split your outputs to the other rooms and get yourself a UHF upgrade kit/remote, keeping your reciever in one location. I belive they're still quite inexpensive.

The UHF remote kit will allow you to take the remote to any room in your house and still operate the reciever via UHF signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts