Switching from Direct to CV? The CV DVR?

evan1t

Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
My family and I have been on DirecTV for 7 or 8 years now, and we're pretty tired of their empty promises about HD. I spoke to an operator at CV today, and was assured that after the initial year, CV will cost me a little less than DTV for a little more than what I have now. I am good with that.

The big thing that is keeping me from switching (unless you guys have heard some other comments that haven't occurred to me) is that I've heard time and time again that CV's DVR (HD and SD) isn't very good. Buggy software, crashes, reboots, lost recordings, etc.

My information may be old and out of date. Can anyone comment on this? :confused:

Thank you!
Evan

I have never had a problem with mine as far as lost recordings or crashes, even had a power outage while it was recording once power came back about ten minutes later it started recording again, granted missed the ten minutes during the outage but thats not the dvrs fault. Never had tivo so I can not compare it to that.

I made that switch in January when I got my HD tv. I had the SD Tivo with Directv and now have the HD DVR with Cablevision. The Cablevision DVR interface is not as good as Tivo, no searcing by program. I have had a few recording glitches with the Cablevison DVR. I was away for a week and the DVR stopped recording on Tuesday, so I missed the rest of the week. For the most part, its OK, but the TIVO was better. I switched because I did not want to pay the extras for Directv HD. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with Cablevision. Since Directv doesn't use Tivo for HD, I would have lost the Tivo advantages anyway. Go for it.

I was a previous tivo owner before I ordered the CV DVR the day it was available. It was awful--if the hard drive got over 30 percent full, shows would get all pixelated. They have fixed a lot of bugs, but the thing was so unreliable for me and I was so spoiled by the tivo, that I went out and spent $800 on a Series 3 tivo. So, from my point of view, the 8300HD is not intituative at all, and lacks many features. Tivo never misses a recording, but this DVR can.

All that said for $10 a month, it's probably worth the price, and it's better than nothing.

My family and I have been on DirecTV for 7 or 8 years now, and we're pretty tired of their empty promises about HD. I spoke to an operator at CV today, and was assured that after the initial year, CV will cost me a little less than DTV for a little more than what I have now. I am good with that.

The big thing that is keeping me from switching (unless you guys have heard some other comments that haven't occurred to me) is that I've heard time and time again that CV's DVR (HD and SD) isn't very good. Buggy software, crashes, reboots, lost recordings, etc.

My information may be old and out of date. Can anyone comment on this? :confused:

Thank you!
Evan

Thank you!
Evan
just adding my 2 cents here ...I have 2 DVRs from CV (1 HD & 1 SD)the PQ is great & have never had any problems w/ them @ any time

I appreciate the feedback, gang.

We really like Tivo, and it sounds like we'll be giving stuff up if we switch to CV's DVR. I just can't afford an extra $800 for a real HD Tivo, though that's the right way to go.

OTOH, I really want SNY in HD, and DTV won't give us that.

I want to piece it together!! :(

--Evan

I just spoke to DirecTV, and they tell me that SportsNet NY is NOT available in HD on their system. Can you please point me to some documentation or a DTV web site that says that it is?

Thank you!
Evan

Two things, you have to receive locals for your area from D* while having SNY as one of your RSNs and you have to have MPEG-4 capable equipment.

I watch SNYHD on both CV and D*. If you have an MPEG-4 dish (5LNB) & the H20 or HR20 (MPEG-4 receivers) you will get SNYHD on Channel 625 as well as YESHD on Channel 622. IF you have the old receivers, you will not get the channel in HD, regardless of having a 5LNB dish, since it is spotbeamed in MPEG4 to the NY DMA.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004

Enter your ZIP code and YES & SNY should be listed with (HD available)

Hope that link helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts