Switching from Direct to Dish

chipvee

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Hi, I have been a Directv customer for 3 years and started to have some issues with them so I am switching to Dish. I have 2 HDTV's and 2 SD TV's. Is there anything that I should know before they install. Is there anything I should ask for before installation. I have an appointment scheduled for December 28. I would appreciate any input. Thanks, Chip

I would recommend getting 2 722 series receivers. If they are 722k's get the ota module if you have a home antenna. That gives you 2 sat tuners and 2 ota tuners for each receiver. The 722 outputs hd to the TV1 output and down converted sd to the TV2 output. The first receiver is included in the base cost per month. The 2nd being a duo is $17/mo. If you sign up for bill-less auto pay you get free HD for Life.

Also get a free (after rebate) sling adapter if that promo is still going on.

You may also want to scope out alternate locations for your dish just in case you don't have LOS from your old dish location.

I switched 2weeks ago after being with D* for 4 years. I swapped an HR-21 and HR-24 for a Vip722k and a Vip 612. The 612 is $7 a month less than the 722 and does have RCA and cable video outputs so if you can connect one of your sd tvs you can save some bucks. Like D* receivers you can only watch the same show on both with the 612. The cable output eliminates the need for an RF modulator that you needed with D* if you do use the non HDMI tv outs.

I'm happy with E* so far. Both receivers are very fast compared to D* although the new GUI is supposed to help them. I think you'll like the 7 channel X 2.5 hr E* guide better than D*. There is a problem with the E* guide though. It lists shows on FX, for example, that start and end a minute late as starting on the 1/2 hr and if you don't add time the ending of those shows you'll miss the endline. I missed the end of Its Always Sunny and the new Beavis and Butthead this week.

oldengineer said:
There is a problem with the E* guide though. It lists shows on FX, for example, that start and end a minute late as starting on the 1/2 hr and if you don't add time the ending of those shows you'll miss the endline. I missed the end of Its Always Sunny and the new Beavis and Butthead this week.

This is a network issue. It happens on abc nbc cbs and fox as well. IMHO I think this is done tomake it less attractive to time shift.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

This is a network issue. It happens on abc nbc cbs and fox as well. IMHO I think this is done tomake it less attractive to time shift.

Never saw oldengineer's post. But the problem occurs when there is no commercial break between shows. There is a time lag due to the up and down links and processing at the earth station. I see this when I compare the ota signal of my locals to the dish feed.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

I agree that some networks deliberately start programs a minute or 2 late, maybe to confuse DVRs. I was trying to make the point that the guide service that D* uses actually lists the late times pretty accurately so most recordings don't have to be modified. Their guide for FX will show Always Sunny... as starting at 10:01 PM, while the E* guide shows it starting at 10:00 PM, so with E* I have to add a minute to the stop time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts