Switching from E* to D* - Help me go down the right path please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

No1Hunter

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
North Central Washington State
Ok, so I am planning on switching from E* to D* using a referral from my sister and I have a few questions that I hope all you experienced people can help me with as I understand I have to call in to do the referral. I want to make sure I tell them and they understand everything so I get all the promotions I am due. i have read all the posts I can find on this but a lot of them seem to be out-dated. So, again, I want to check with the experts here.

Currently, with E*, I have a VIP622 connected to my HD TV in my main viewing area and back feed the VIP622 to my bedroom TV and a 501 SD PVR on the TV downstairs for the kids. I currently pay just about $80.00 with the 250 channel package, HD for life.
With D*, I am planning on doing the following:
Hardware:
Two HR24HD receivers
One H24HD receiver
Total cost approx. $200.00

Package, Programming & fees:
Choice Ultimate $69.00
Direct CINEMAplus $0
HD Access $10.00
Free HD Access -$10.00
DirectTV DVR Service $7.00
Whole-house DVR Service $3.00
Receiver Lease Fee $10.00 (3 receivers = $15.00 less 1st is free -$5.00)
TOTAL COST prior to promotions = $89.00
Now, a couple questions:
Does the DirectTV CINEMAplus cover both HR24HD DVR receivers and does both receivers have access to Direct CINEMAplus?
The same for the DirectTV DVR Service and the Whole-house DVR Service. Does the fee cover all the receivers?
Now, it is my understanding that the DirectTV CINEMAplus connects through the internet. My house is wired got Gigabit (CAT6) and the router and switches are all Gigabit. At each TV location, I have a Blue Ray player that is currently using the Ethernet connection located at each TV. So, I was going to install a small switch at each location to accommodate the player and the Direct receiver. Are there any issues doing this? I read in one of the posts the receivers had to be connected to the router but I believe they may have their router/switch confused.

Now, on to the promotions:
Is there anything special I have to do to make sure I get the free DirectTV CINEMAplus?
How about the free HD Access? Anything special I have to do?
Also, I understand I get a $24 bill credit for months 1-12 and a $14 bill credit for months 13-24 but redemption is required. How do you redeem this?
Then there appears to be a $5 credit for months 1-12 and internet redemption is required. I assume I do this after my account has been setup.
Any “traps” I need to look for?
Finally, I understand the 3 months of free Showtime and Starz – cancel after 3 months. Is there a fee to downgrade like E*?

Am I missing anything? I assume the installer will provide all the switches/splitters I will need to get all the above. (I installed all my Dish equipment myself and the installer only had to install the VIP622. When he first looked at my setup, he made the comment it was done wrong but after he hooked up the VIP622, he commented about how he had never seen that strong of the signal – remember, I had the 501 to make sure everything was working properly).

you will not be garunteed hr24 or h24, d* will send what they have, just as an fyi
if you go through a local you can garuntee those units, but then i dont know if you can do the referal

iirc only 1 internet connection is needed, the rest are done with d*'s connection type for the mrv so the switchat each unit my not be required
others will chime in on this

you will redeem the credits once your account is active online, usually before your install. theres a button to do it

You can not connect your receivers directly to the router/switch. There is a unit installed at your router that connects the receivers to the internet through the coax. If you connect the units directly to the router it disables the MRV.

As far as the discounts go I can't really answer other than I know there is a special number you have to call for the referal discount.

"There is a unit installed at your router'

So, is that before the router (between the ISP and the router) or after the router but before SMC 24 port switch?

I see you are still with E*. I have been with them since the 6000 first came out but they seem to play too many games.

One other fact which really has no bearing on the questions above but I a 30 meg up/20 meg down connection.

"you will not be garunteed hr24 or h24, d* will send what they have, just as an fyi"

So, being a new customer, I could be treated like an old customer and get stuck with old equipment. Frankly, you would think being new; I would get the newest and best technology they currently have. Hum, D* is starting to sound a lot like E*.

Is there anything special I have to do to make sure I get the free DirectTV CINEMAplus?
thats just the video on demand...need to be hooked to the internet
How about the free HD Access? Anything special I have to do?
as a new sub, no. Current subs need to be on auto pay to get it waived
edit: I was wrong. It does require auto pay
Free HD requires Auto Bill Pay and HD Access.

Also, I understand I get a $24 bill credit for months 1-12 and a $14 bill credit for months 13-24 but redemption is required. How do you redeem this?
Then there appears to be a $5 credit for months 1-12 and internet redemption is required. I assume I do this after my account has been setup.
The day you get the order confirmation go to the D* site and do the rebates IMMEDIATELY. If its done before install they show up right away..otherwise its 6-8 weeks
https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/rebates/rebatesCenter.jsp

Any “traps” I need to look for?
none that I know of. When I signed up in Feb it was the $29 off for 1 year (no second year discount) and I did the rebate stuff the day after I ordered and credits showed right away

Finally, I understand the 3 months of free Showtime and Starz – cancel after 3 months. Is there a fee to downgrade like E*?
no. Any premium (movies, sports pack, ethnic channels) you keep for 30 days there is no downgrade fee. I think adult channels is the exception

Also the referral is 10 $10 credits on the bill

"you will not be garunteed hr24 or h24, d* will send what they have, just as an fyi"

So, being a new customer, I could be treated like an old customer and get stuck with old equipment. Frankly, you would think being new; I would get the newest and best technology they currently have. Hum, D* is starting to sound a lot like E*.

No, D* has been doing this for quite awhile now ....
It all depends on what they have in the warehouse that supplies your are.
I spoke with the guys in my area and they said they've had nothing but H/HR24's for quite awhile now.

If you catch a D* van in the area, ask them what they are sending out in the area.

OP,
Make absolute certain that you call the phone number supplied in the REFERRAL section of the website, otherwise you won't get the referral money without a big hassle.

My local installer handled the referral. I used a local place and didn't call DirecTV myself. I gave him the account# to use for the referral and it happened. If you use a local installer, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING before teh install starts. My local installer is great, but I understand there may be some out there that are not so great. I got all of the promo deals and the referral through my local installer AND I got to specify that I wanted HR24 DVRs.

If you have specific desires in terms of equipment, you either supply it yourself by buying what you want or you get a local installer who will guarantee you get what you want.

You can not connect your receivers directly to the router/switch. There is a unit installed at your router that connects the receivers to the internet through the coax. If you connect the units directly to the router it disables the MRV.

Not 100% true.

You can not on the HR20 as there is 1 ethernet port and it is needed for the DECA
The HR21, HR22, and HR23 all have 2 ethernet ports and can be directly connected to the router without disabling MRV
The HR24 has an internal DECA and and 1 ethernet port although, if you hook your router in to the ethernet port it will disrupt MRV.
However, it can still be used on a system where there is no other MRV compatible receivers instead of a Broadband DECA
Don't know why Direct TV made them this way.

And yes, I have done several this way without issues.

Basically, if the receiver has 2 separate ethernet ports then go for it, esing ethernet port 1 for the DECA and ethernet port 2 for the router.

Also, to concur with another post, there is no guarantee of getting specific receivers even if you pay $100.
Unless you go directly to a retailer but then you will not be able to use the referal at all.
You are paying for the additional DVR in this case and not the full price of $400 (so you are not "buying" it)
Geting 24's are hit miss. Best bet is ask your installer if he can get them for you if he calls before he leaves the shop.

A note on rebate processing-as stated should be done prior to install or there is the mentioned waiting period. The best time to process is when installer arrives and you and he have determined that his work order is correct.....correct number of receivers/DVRs, yes or no on MRV programming and/or installation of BB Deca. If work orders are incorrect or customer decides to change equip type/numbers (thinking that can be done when tech arrives) and rebates have already been processed it has been my experience that DTV will not change that w/o...it will have to be cancelled and order placed again. A painful process for customer and tech. When it is determined that w/o is correct or needed changes are made the rebate can be processed while tech is putting up the dish. Processing rebate prior to job being CLOSED is what is REALLY necessary.

I am getting D* installed on Jan 6. I told the guy who took the order that I wanted 2 DVR's with OTA and 2 HD receivers. He told me that I would get this combo.

Can I just ask the installer when he calls what receiver he is bringing?

Do any of the new HD DVR have OTA built in? Will they need the add-on box?

They'll need the AM21. The only HD DVR that had OTA built in was the HR20 which I dont think they use anymore

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)