Switching to Dish

Wesro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Eufaula, Alabama
Hello All! It's been years since I posted here but I love reading the forums and I have a few topics I would like your guys opinion on please.

I have been a DirecTV customer for about eight years. In my opinion since AT&T bought them things have started a downhill slide. Credits are not given out anymore, customer service isn't all that great anymore and even though it started before AT&T bought them I want to throw my Genie out in the yard sometimes instead of waiting on it. So, I have researched on Dish the past week or so and called them yesterday. I would like to run a few things by you.

1. I only have two coax drops and don't really wont to have to deal with running anymore. We rent and I don't really want to run more coax than I already have for a house that isn't mine. I am going to put the Hopper 3 on one dedicated drop and then split two joeys on another coax drop. I want to run three of the Joeys off of Ethernet. Everywhere I read said it is a hassle getting them to install it that way but the Dish guy I talked to on the phone said it would not be a problem. I ran the Ethernet years ago. It's Cat 6 on Gigabit Managed Switches. Since the Ethernet is all ready at the TV's they would literally just have to plug them in and that would be that. So, my question is are they going to give me a hard time over installing the Joeys over Ethernet?

2. I was offered the movie channels free for three months, Netflix for a year and a $25 gift card. Is there anywhere else that would have better offers?

3. I have been going back and forth on the 3 year price guarantee or the save the first year and the bill goes up after that. What are you guys going with? I have just about talked myself into the first year savings route.

4. I can remember when I had Dish about 6 years ago they only had part time RSNs is that still the case? The Fox Sports South and SportsSouth back then would show the Braves in HD but not the other shows in HD on the channels.

5. Is there a good channel list I can get that shows me the HD channel lineup. I downloaded the latest channel card from Dish but it seems wrong. They show no A&E in HD. I looked it up and it says they do have A&E in HD.

6. Is the PQ as good as DirecTV?

7. I was told that I could be installed this Saturday with a Hopper 3 and 5 Joey 2.0. I kind of doubt it but have you guys heard people getting installed with the Hopper 3 this weekend?

Thanks for reading and sharing your answers and opinions.

Hello All! It's been years since I posted here but I love reading the forums and I have a few topics I would like your guys opinion on please.

I have been a DirecTV customer for about eight years. In my opinion since AT&T bought them things have started a downhill slide. Credits are not given out anymore, customer service isn't all that great anymore and even though it started before AT&T bought them I want to throw my Genie out in the yard sometimes instead of waiting on it. So, I have researched on Dish the past week or so and called them yesterday. I would like to run a few things by you.

1. I only have two coax drops and don't really wont to have to deal with running anymore. We rent and I don't really want to run more coax than I already have for a house that isn't mine. I am going to put the Hopper 3 on one dedicated drop and then split two joeys on another coax drop. I want to run three of the Joeys off of Ethernet. Everywhere I read said it is a hassle getting them to install it that way but the Dish guy I talked to on the phone said it would not be a problem. I ran the Ethernet years ago. It's Cat 6 on Gigabit Managed Switches. Since the Ethernet is all ready at the TV's they would literally just have to plug them in and that would be that. So, my question is are they going to give me a hard time over installing the Joeys over Ethernet?

You only need one coax from the dish into the house for the Hopper 3. That coax will connect to a Hub and from there you would have cable runs to the Hopper 3 and to your Joeys. If you can't get cable to the other rooms for wired Joeys then I would recommend Wireless Joeys.

2. I was offered the movie channels free for three months, Netflix for a year and a $25 gift card. Is there anywhere else that would have better offers?

The offers are the same for everyone as they are set by Dish. It's possible independent places may offer gift cards and things like that though.

3. I have been going back and forth on the 3 year price guarantee or the save the first year and the bill goes up after that. What are you guys going with? I have just about talked myself into the first year savings route.

I can't help you there since it's a personal preference. I think more people prefer the price lock.

4. I can remember when I had Dish about 6 years ago they only had part time RSNs is that still the case? The Fox Sports South and SportsSouth back then would show the Braves in HD but not the other shows in HD on the channels.

That is still the case.

5. Is there a good channel list I can get that shows me the HD channel lineup. I downloaded the latest channel card from Dish but it seems wrong. They show no A&E in HD. I looked it up and it says they do have A&E in HD.

I don't have one but you may be able to find one by doing a Google search.

It's been argued to death on here and I think the final say has been that DirecTV is slightly better but not a big enough difference to really matter.

7. I was told that I could be installed this Saturday with a Hopper 3 and 5 Joey 2.0. I kind of doubt it but have you guys heard people getting installed with the Hopper 3 this weekend?

It hasn't been released yet so no one knows. It seems it may be available Jan. 30th but there still has not been an official announcement from Dish.

My answers are in the quote box above.

Reactions: DishTech0607
As mentioned above, I guess it could be dependent on your area, but I can't remember the last time I had a pro game in SD, now if you like the other shows that RSN may show and it must be in HD that's different

As stated the offers are the same, but I will send you a $50 referral if you want to use it.

I recall reading somewhere that DISH does not carry all of the Braves games that FS South broadcasts due to a previous contract being in place before FS bought out the other provider's games they were carrying. Don't think that has changed, but you might want to hear from someone who lives in that area and watches Braves games.

I recall reading somewhere that DISH does not carry all of the Braves games that FS South broadcasts due to a previous contract being in place before FS bought out the other provider's games they were carrying. Don't think that has changed, but you might want to hear from someone who lives in that area and watches Braves games.
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I researched it last night and I think I am OK. From what I read I think it just applies to people who live in Metro Atlanta I am in Alabama so shouldn't get blacked out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)