Switching to Dish

a&m 350z

Original poster
May 18, 2004
Well I want to switch to Dish with the full works. Voom and HD-DVR. I was a Voomer till the end and gave TW a try but it has to go! Is there a way to get this without spending a fortune. Do I still have to pay for an extra dish?
Thanks for any advice.

If you order from DISH directly, any extra receiving equipment required for your programming (in your case voom) will be provided. You will have to buy a 921 or 942 if you want the HD-DVR, or wait until the new MPEG-4 equipment is out and see what promotions they will offer. But who knows how long that will be? :p You can buy a 921/942 directly from DISH, Costco, or any other retail outlet that carries them. It will be noted on the Work Order that there is a 921/942 on site so the tech knows ahead of time.

When a DISH tech comes for an install, whatever equipment necessary is installed whether it's a second dish, Multi-switch, etc.. it doesn't matter as they are bringing equipment directly from the corporation (expendable). It doesn't matter, they throw it in. Retailers may or may not do this depending on what they get paid from DISH for the work and what they're supplied with. It is their decision.

If you are a first time Dish customer, make sure that you look out for your possible future viewing habits now with this first install!! (For Example) If you think you might eventually want locals add the dish for it NOW!

Here is the reason why. Your best install deal is going to be with the initial first time install. After that, you will pay for everything: Dish, LNB, receivers, etc, etc... Dish gives great deals to first time subscribers. They do very little for long time customers.

In short, think it through now and install now!!

*I miss my VOOM Satellite service*

:cool:

If your locals are on 129 or 61.5, you won't need a 2nd dish installed for voom, since you'll already be receiving it -- if you don't, a dish for 61.5 or 129 costs $100 to install (I think?)...

OoTLink's got it.

One note, we only charge $25 for a D1000 upgrade - at time of new customer install only. That covers our cost for the more expensive hardware.

So $25 for a D1000 but you don't charge for 2 500s (or a 500 and a 300?) -- sweet! I kinda like the mickey mouse thing anyway lol.

I'm getting only more options on things to do. When we move we might either do dishmover or sign up as a new activation in my name instead (doesn't really matter + it'd be a fresh new install).. I like the flexibility of pointing the 2nd dish anywhere and all too, and while it'd be easier to do the whole "dishmover" thing, (if they don't charge me I'll get our renters to sign up haha).. it'd be nice to get dual 625s :D

[Then again, maybe I'll just wait for the MPEG4 switch to happen and then get a set of dual 962s or something]

*thinks about it* some people think dishes are ugly and the fewer the better, while I find the D1000 "cool" from the front, I think they look kinda funky from the side (our new neighbors had their dual 500s on their house replaced with a 1000 but the old 2nd dish is still there).. erm.. well, I think the dual 500s look really cool anyway :D

Just for laughs, what would a new customer have to pay to have a single spot 500 (I don't think they do single 300s anymore), and a 1000? I have a feeling the number aint pretty because it'd require a DP44, but still...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts