Switching to Hopper & Joey from 722...questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Few things. One, JSheridan was correct. Your friend is not correct, especially after this time. It was overridden in the beginning to highly escalated customers, but there is no reason, business or personal, that it needs to be currently. To many other options. Secondly, the 722 would carry a $17 fee for the additional receiver. Two Joeys is $14 total. It sounds like your friend is likely blowing smoke up your butt, or truly doesn't know.

Few things. One, JSheridan was correct. Your friend is not correct, especially after this time. It was overridden in the beginning to highly escalated customers, but there is no reason, business or personal, that it needs to be currently. To many other options. Secondly, the 722 would carry a $17 fee for the additional receiver. Two Joeys is $14 total. It sounds like your friend is likely blowing smoke up your butt, or truly doesn't know.
i can confirm this as well, i have been to a few accounts where they let the customer keep a 722 for an rv or what have you. but they have since removed that option from the system. only 211 family and wally moving forward

Reactions: NABRIL
thank you rglore.
Unfortunately, I have a few challenges that make splitting uneasy.
1) TV1 is in the living room where the 722 is, and where the hopper would go. TV4, is in an outdoor gazebo 55 feet away from TV1. THere is a 1/2 inch conduit available to me to run coax and cat6 from the house to that gazebo. I can use an HDMI splitter in that corner to feed both TV's, but I would need an HDMI-to-ethernet conversion to get HD at the gazebo; I don't think that HDMI will fit in a 1/2 inch tube, and I haven't seen HDMI cables that long.

2) TV2 is in the dining room and TV3 is located in the second story but not directly above the dining room. I would again have to use ethernet-to-hdmi converters to get up there. It is doable, but requires some work that I am willing to do. I have to decide if doing all this is worth saving the $14 a month fee for 2 Joeys; it sounds like it's not worth the hassle.

I just learned that each HDMI extender requires 2 ethernet cables, and that complicates things.
Get wireless joey. Easy to move out to.gazebo

Get wireless joey. Easy to move out to.gazebo

But obviously, it still requires a coax cable for the signal, no? That cable can go in the conduit, so it's not a problem getting out to it. What is the difference/improvement of a wireless joey versus wired?

Also. I read that the Hopper 3 will come out soon, so I wonder if I should wait a bit for it to come out.

No wireless Joey, you just plug in power, hook in HDTV, and you have chanels. No cable needed out to gazebo. Not sure how far it wotks, but range is pretty good. It is simple.

But obviously, it still requires a coax cable for the signal, no? That cable can go in the conduit, so it's not a problem getting out to it. What is the difference/improvement of a wireless joey versus wired?

Also. I read that the Hopper 3 will come out soon, so I wonder if I should wait a bit for it to come out.

Having a coax run to it would defeat the purpose of it being called wireless. It still has to be plugged into an outlet for power and still needs a cable run from it to the TV but it is wireless in the sense that it get's it's satellite signal wireless. You can take the Wireless Joey anywhere in the house as long as it's within distance of the access point.

I have a wireless joey and move it from garage, to workout room to back porch...

Ok, ok. You just gave me an idea. TV viewing in the gazebo will be limited to weekends perhaps, the super bowl, Stanley Cup, etc. Limited. I can move the Joey from the from the upstairs bedroom to the gazebo. Doing this would save me 1 Joey monthly fee.
THe gazebo is 50 feet away from my main router, so connectivity will be fine. In addition, I have a repeater in the gazebo, and I will run ethernet out to it.

Ok, ok. You just gave me an idea. TV viewing in the gazebo will be limited to weekends perhaps, the super bowl, Stanley Cup, etc. Limited. I can move the Joey from the from the upstairs bedroom to the gazebo. Doing this would save me 1 Joey monthly fee.
THe gazebo is 50 feet away from my main router, so connectivity will be fine. In addition, I have a repeater in the gazebo, and I will run ethernet out to it.

The wireless Joey is connected to an access point that has to be connected to the Hopper. It does not rely on your internet at all. You would have to be within a decent distance to the access point by your Hopper. There is a way to test the signal by using the remote though if you are curious.

You could also get a HIC and run your WAP through that... If that will put it closer to the gazebo.

(Let a tech correct me on this if I am incorrect. My information is not from an official source and I have not personally tested it).

Big thanks scherrman. I was incorrectly assuming that the receivers would use MY wireless network. The gazebo is close enough, so that should be ok.
For the other Joey in the dining room, I can use a wired Joey. The wireless Joey that will be shared between the upstairs bedroom and the gazebo might have trouble getting a good signal when it is used upstairs. Hmmm. I'll have to test that out somehow.

I would definitely go the wireless Joey route rather than trying to mess with RF modulators or HDMI splitters. A simple solution and you'll get the best picture quality possible.

Big thanks scherrman. I was incorrectly assuming that the receivers would use MY wireless network. The gazebo is close enough, so that should be ok.
For the other Joey in the dining room, I can use a wired Joey. The wireless Joey that will be shared between the upstairs bedroom and the gazebo might have trouble getting a good signal when it is used upstairs. Hmmm. I'll have to test that out somehow.

As long as you are getting good signal for the Wireless Joey you will be very happy. I have one in my bedroom and it works great. It's very fast and PQ is great.

I have to search for it but there is a way to use a dish remote as a signal strength indicator. It beeps at you while you walk around the house. I think the Wireless Joey needs a 40-45 or higher signal for the most reliable results.

Hey Sherrman and Chad and others.
I found the original post by Scott Grec on the HIC, but I see it is from 2012. Is the HIC needed at present or no?

Hey Sherrman and Chad and others.
I found the original post by Scott Grec on the HIC, but I see it is from 2012. Is the HIC needed at present or no?

If you are talking about using a Wireless Joey the answer is no. The HIC just connects all your receivers on the Moca system to the internet. The Wireless Joeys have nothing to do with your internet. There is a box called the Wireless Access Point that plugs into your Hopper and that sends it's own wireless signal to the Wireless Joey. No internet is needed at all.

thanks again Sherrman
I am not 100% sure if this house has the capability of using MOCA. I know there are coax outlets in most rooms, but I don't know if they're connected. At present, I have coax cables running hidden along the outside of the house that go from the dish to the 722. I assume that I can use those to connect with the wired Joey. Or perhaps I just get 2 wired Joey's and be done with.

thanks again Sherrman
I am not 100% sure if this house has the capability of using MOCA. I know there are coax outlets in most rooms, but I don't know if they're connected. At present, I have coax cables running hidden along the outside of the house that go from the dish to the 722. I assume that I can use those to connect with the wired Joey. Or perhaps I just get 2 wired Joey's and be done with.

Really the only important cable is the one that goes from the dish into the house and to the Hopper. All the other existing cable should be fine.

About the wireless Joey, is there a way to make a regular Joey 2.0 wireless? I remember seeing posts way back where members were adding a wifi usb adaper to the original Joey and somehow making them wireless. Is this possible with the new Joey's?, and more important is it practical?
I have a good strong dual band wifi router and it seems a waste to add the $50 access point if I don't need to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)