Switching TODAY

RealtorAndy

Original poster
undefined

I've just Registered. I'm am dropping Direct TV (w/2hughes,1 Thompson HD, and 1 Tivo-Phillips Box) - I'm having Dish Network installed w/ 1 921 box (Just arrived today), 1 522 box and 1 510 box. I love my Tivo but I'm gettig lots of family pressure to have DVR's on our 4 TV's. For approximately the same $$ I'm actually getting mo better service - I'm not sure what I'm giving up (re:Tivo) Can you enlighten me?

You will be giving up name based recordings for a while. The 921 is working fairly good these days, but still has its share of problems. I think the 522 has it's share of problems as well. The 510 is pretty solid these days.

You'll be getting UHF remotes and a 30sec skip button.

You'll also be getting a $4.98 VOD fee assessed to each of your DVRs vs. the 4.99 tivo fee for your account at DirecTV

The # button enters the Search feature. Some receivers have this enabled, yet the 811 and 921 don't. In the future it should be offered via a software update, after all it's on the remotes. :)

Everything except the RCA you had is pretty good Directv equipment and even the RCA is better than the DISH equipment you are leasing/buying. I hope you like constantly rebooting your equipment. You gave up more than you know. I hope your 522 works better than my showroom 522 because mine is a pure piece of CRAP.

With the Everything pack all VOD fees are waived, not just one. There might be a few bugs you'll encounter, but these 2 of the 3 are fairly new receivers, give Dish time and they will make them as stable as the 510 is. Name-based recording is about the only thing you're giving up right now, but it's in developing now and should be released by summer.

boba said:
Everything except the RCA you had is pretty good Directv equipment and even the RCA is better than the DISH equipment you are leasing/buying. I hope you like constantly rebooting your equipment. You gave up more than you know. I hope your 522 works better than my showroom 522 because mine is a pure piece of CRAP.

You used to have reasonable responses to people that were choosing dish over directv, but the tone of what you are writing has gotten worse and worse.

Andy - Please keep us posted over time as to your impressions with your new Dish equipment and service compared to what you had with DirecTV.
BTW, other than wanting new DVR's for all of your TV's, was there any other reason for leaving DirecTV?

gpflepsen said:
The # button enters the Search feature. Some receivers have this enabled, yet the 811 and 921 don't. In the future it should be offered via a software update, after all it's on the remotes. :)
Search has always worked on MY 921 (except when there's no guide data available - which happens somewhat randomly on occasion). It will fill in the 'current' program name from displayed show or the guide.

No not really - I enjoy my TiVo sooooo much it was a difficult decision. I'm having a bit of an issue w/ DirecTV and the fact I can only receive one of their HD Pkg stations (79) None of the rest are coming through -and they are not responding well to my many tech calls, not to mention I'm still being charged $9.99 p/mo.

marko said:
You used to have reasonable responses to people that were choosing dish over directv, but the tone of what you are writing has gotten worse and worse.
Agreed. If memory serves, he's a bitter ex-Dish Network dealer who has kind of taken a Bob Haller anti Dish at-all-costs mentality. Used to be every response from him no matter what the thread involved was "switch to DirecTV and Tivo where the rainbows are bright and beautiful 24-7", but at least back then he didn't seem to be nearly as jaded and negative as he does now. Clear agenda undermining all his convert to DirecTV pleas.

REALTORANDY,

How recently did you sign up? If they are giving you (actually selling you) a 921 so quickly, then that tells the rest of us who are still waiting for a 921 that the wait will be even longer because they are giving new customers first priority.

921 Avail - new Cust

AJF said:
REALTORANDY,

How recently did you sign up? If they are giving you (actually selling you) a 921 so quickly, then that tells the rest of us who are still waiting for a 921 that the wait will be even longer because they are giving new customers first priority.

My dealer was "owed" some favors, and really had to "pull strings" to get this "921 box. "If I tell you any more, I'll have to kill you (just kidding)

Thanks for the reply. I'm on the waiting list of an internet dealer, maybe I'll try a local dealer and see if I can get one sooner.

Anyway, I think you'll be happy with Dish, and the DVR's will continue to improve and hopefully a point closer to the Tivo unit.
Keep us posted on your install.

AJF said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm on the waiting list of an internet dealer, maybe I'll try a local dealer and see if I can get one sooner.

Anyway, I think you'll be happy with Dish, and the DVR's will continue to improve and hopefully a point closer to the Tivo unit.
Keep us posted on your install.

The install is now 90% copmplete (missing a diplexer). Q: The 921 is running very HOT - I don't typically turn the unit off ( adv programming etc.) but it's very hot! It's ventilated but I'm a bit concerned. My TiVo never got this warm- Of course I only had a 40 and 80 gig drive in it.

boba said:
Why are you still a E* dealer if you hate them so much?

RealtorAndy said:
The install is now 90% copmplete (missing a diplexer). Q: The 921 is running very HOT - I don't typically turn the unit off ( adv programming etc.) but it's very hot! It's ventilated but I'm a bit concerned. My TiVo never got this warm- Of course I only had a 40 and 80 gig drive in it.
My 921 isn't at all hot. Can you isolate where the heat is coming from? Power supply side vs. tuner side for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)